Tally-Ho No.9 (Fan Back) Deck Review

Feb 4, 2008
Tally-Ho No.9 (Fan Back) Deck Review

Where to buy: $2.05/pack http://www.theory11.com/playingcards/tallyho-fan.php
Other threads discussing Tally-ho vs. Bicycle:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... 31776b7c22
Explanation of my reviewing methods:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... 0&t=156760

Initial Impression: This is definitely my most intimidating review. Tally-Ho decks have been a favorite amongst magicians and flourishers alike for a long time. Indeed it has been the standard by which high quality decks seem to often be measured. Daring to review these and attempt to remain objective might border on heresy for some. Never the less I will give it a shot. I am happy, and relieved, to say it was one of the top performing decks but a little nervous to point out that is was by no means the top performer. Perhaps the best way to describe this deck is to call it a Bike on steroids. Indeed, with the exception of fanning, it seemed to perform slightly better than the 808 in all categories.

The Look: Not much needs to be said here as the Tally-Ho deck is almost as well recognized as the 808 in the magic community. It seems to have strong powerful lines that seem to give it a clear distinction next to the flowery patterns that surround the angels on it’s cousin, the Bike 808. The court cards look almost identical. There is only one Joker in the deck, the other being more of an advertisement card. The ace of spades is 2nd to none. A classic in card magic that still holds it’s own paired up against the new improved Ace of spades from the Bike Masters decks.

Card construction: The stock is stiffer than the 808s but doesn’t seem thicker. The same dimples pattern common in most USPC decks is present here as well. While I can’t “feel” the difference between the linoid finish of the Tally-Ho and the Air Cushion of the 808 it does seem to impart different characteristics in handling. Overall the card came in at 15mm thickness which made it about 2 cards thinner than a bike.
Durability: TBD. It scored a tad better that the Bike on the Crimp hold test but we will see if that equals a longer life.

Handling:

Fanning: 8.5
Not quite as smooth as an 808 but pretty close.

Spring Moves: 7.5
This card was just a tad stiffer than a Bike and various spring moves performed as one would expect given this.

Dribbles: 8
The stiffer stock seemed to make springs a bit more clumpy but I expect as the cards break in it will actually do better in this category.

Crimp hold and recovery: 8
One of the best performers in this category. You will have no worries about passing your cards out for a shuffle, your crimp will be secure.

Single card glides: 8
The stiffer stock seemed to help these moves remain secure.

2+Card Obfuscations: 8
Again a strong performance in this category. Obfuscations in which opposing corners are held were very secure as were corner displays from push-off doubles however, it was about on par with the 808 with a Diving Board Double.

XCM cuts: Obviously this is a well loved deck by Flourishers. The added stiffness should help with packet cuts but no other category seemed to indicate why this is. Consciously or unconsciously I think most of it’s popularity in this field stems from the bold back design. The distinct backs are still visible while packs are twirling between hands and spinning in the air.

Card Splitting and Gaff construction/availability: There are gaffs available for Tally-Hos…You might check this thread if you are interested.
viewtopic.php?p=847373
As for splitting? TBD

Who should not buy?: Can’t think of a reason not to buy these.

Who should buy these?: As with the Arrco decks, Talley-Ho decks are similar enough to Bikes that there is no reason not to check them out. You won’t find super cheap deals on them as you will with Bikes but they still have a high performance bar for such a low price.

Final Thoughts: We will see how these age. Supposedly they are a very durable card which has been cited often as one of the reasons some magicians swear by Tally-Hos. Quite honestly these feel a whole lot like the UV500 stock( a stock I hold in high regard). Indeed when I first opened the pack I suspected that E might have just requested a bunch of black bike designs to be printed on Tally-ho stock. A quick measurement of the decks proved this to be incorrect(Tally Hos are much thinner) but the feel is very similar. If you are a UV500 fan looking for some good practice decks you might start using these as they are sold about $1.00 cheaper than the cheapest UV500 deck. Overall a good deck but on initial examination I wouldn’t say it has lived up to the hype. Perhaps the longevity review will make me eat my words?

Feb 4, 2008
Tally-ho 1 Week Update:
After one week I will admit to some rather mixed opinions on the Tally-Ho. On one side is the fact that many of the categories improved as the deck broke in. While evaluating each move as a separate entity this deck performs quite admirably but I consistently had trouble when combining difficult moves in a routine. I can’t exactly put my finger on to why that is but suffice it to say that I found this deck to be difficult to handle and unreliable at times.

Fanning: 9
After a short time most of the obvious uneven gaps in the fan seemed to smooth out. It is definitely the equal to the Bike 808 at this point. Also, the finish seems to be collecting dirt and grime at a similar rate to the Bike 808s but as of yet the dirt is not translating into a “sticky” deck.

Spring: 6
The spring has definitely petered off. OOB it felt almost as stiff as a UV500 deck but after just one week it seems to have mellowed out. If you will recall the Arrco deck seemed to hold its’ stiffness quite well after the first week and then deteriorated quickly from there. Because of that experience I hesitate to make predictions about the longevity of the deck from this category. Perhaps the deck just needed to be broken in and it will stabilize at this level for a while?

Dribbles: 9
Beautiful! This is one smooth dribbling deck. Perhaps that is why it was featured in the recent Anaconda DVD (not recommended btw) if you like dribbling, either as a flourish or as a component to a shift, this is a highly recommended deck.

Crimp Hold/Recovery: 8
Wow! No change in this area. This is probably the best deck in the review in this category. Perhaps not quite as good as the Fournier 605s but I would easily match this deck with the UV500 cards.

Single Card Glides: 9
A nice improvement in this area. For single card glides the Talley-ho easily equals, perhaps even beats, the Fournier 605s.

2+card Obfuscations: 8
The softened stock seems to make the Hugard/Braue Push-off a little more problematic as well as single corner displays. Diving-Board DL, opposite corner displays, and Derek Dingle DLs seemed to improve as the deck developed the usual bend. In all I would call it a wash and rate it at an overall 8. A side note to consider is that the edges of the deck are “yellowing” at about the same rate as the Bike 808, meaning that whatever 2+O you do you will need to keep tight and precise.

Additional Thoughts:
So how can a deck that performs so admirably get such a mixed reaction? I can’t be sure. Part of me thinks that it just took longer to break in than some of the other decks. The finish feels somehow smoother than a bike and when combining several difficult moves together the cards feel as if they are about to jump out of the deck. This is never truer than in multi-packet XCM type cuts. You will be able to perform cuts you know well with this deck but I would not recommend a Tally-ho to learn new material with.
It has been said by many people that Tally-ho decks are more durable than 808s. Perhaps a side effect of this is a longer break-in time? In the last hour or two of practice I did notice a slight improvement in how this deck performs in a routine. I’ll have to wait and see if this improvement continues before other characteristics of the deck degrade to the point of retirement.

Feb 4, 2008
Tally-ho 1 Final Update:

Well after eight hours into the second week I am calling it quits on the Tally-ho deck. It still maintained a very high level of performance in a few areas including its’ fans, dribbles, and the single card glide but it sloughed off enough in the other areas that it is no longer reliable for performing my full repertoire of slights, flourishes, and routines. I have some very mixed feelings about this deck (that I’ll cover in detail under the final thoughts) but over all I’ll admit it is a higher quality card than the Bicycle 808.

Fanning: 8
The fan has started to deteriorate slightly but I would say it is still performing quite well. The final varnish used on the Tally-ho does not seem to get as sticky as an aged 808 deck. Indeed it seems to have held up as well as the Arrco and Aladdin decks. I’m not positive that the final varnish is what gives Arrcos and Tally-hos a longer lasting fan but if it is the reason I would have to question why USPCC doesn’t just add the same varnish to the 808s? It would seem a cheap way to improve the life expectancy of USPCCs signature deck.

Spring: 5
The continued degradation of the stock stiffness and springiness is basically what led me to give up on these cards. The stock has become so loose and floppy that many of the 2+ Obfuscations and multi packet cuts are becoming tenuous at best.

Dribbles: 9
Still the best deck at the dribble. Even though I will retire it from day to day practice I’ll keep this one around to practice riffle/dribble passes and the Anaconda dribble. Anyone out there still having trouble with the Anaconda go out and pick up a Tally-ho. I increased my dribble by about six inches in the last week and a half with this deck.

Crimp Hold/Recovery: 6 hold / 7 recovery
The crimp hold, one of the Tally-hos stronger attributes, is finally beginning to give out. Unintentional crimps are beginning to creep into this deck and intentional ones will need to be strong to survive several shuffles.

Single Card Glides: 9
Still second to none in this category. If you use a lot of moves that require glides don’t hesitate to try out a Tally-ho

2+card Obfuscations: 6
This category took a big hit as the stock began giving out. Diving board doubles are ok but I’m noticing the far edge of the cards beginning to separate a bit. Floop moves and Derek Dingle DLs are becoming a particular problem as the cards are loosing the strength to securely make the turnover phase. Hugard/Braue Push-Off DLs are beginning to grab unwanted cards in the drawing phase.

Final Thoughts:
So far this deck has been the most difficult to review. Up until the very end it seemed to perform quite well in the individual tests I use for the review but as I practiced with it I seemed to have difficulty combining several moves together. If you look at the individual categories, and compare it with the Arrco, the Tally-ho would edge that deck out. Nevertheless, I preferred the Arrco deck. Perhaps the Arrco had what Emile Durkheim would call, “Sui Generis,” in that the whole was greater than the sum of it’s’ parts. However, because of the high marks I gave this deck I would still recommend it to any intermediate and advanced card magician. The simple fact is that everyone has different hands sizes and strengths and no two magicians handle cards in exactly the same way with the same move repertoire. Therefore, just because it isn’t the best deck for me doesn’t mean it won’t be the perfect card for you. Tally-ho retails for about the same price as a Bike 808, (the only real difference being that you will find more bulk specials on a Bike) and with that in mind everyone should try them out at least once to see how they feel.

A few other thoughts to consider: There has been quite a bit of talk bantered around about Tally-hos having lost quality once USPCC took over. This is a pretty common complaint you here about USPCC and I have heard similar complaints in regards to both the Fournier 505s and the Arrcos. There is probably a little truth in these claims as well as a little exaggeration. USPCC doesn’t make its’ money on high quality cards. USPCC makes its’ money by producing good quality cards in high volume. It obviously doesn’t completely rape a company of its production techniques and materials and as proof I cite the reviews I have done so far. I can definitely feel the higher quality the Arrcos, Aladdins, and Tally-hos have over the Bicycle 808s. The quality difference may not be much but it is enough to dispel the rumors that the new Tally-hos are simply a Bicycle with a different paint scheme.

Recommendations: Any intermediate card magician should pick up a Tally-ho. Except for 2 for $3.00 deals at Wal-Mart or 12 for $13.00 deals at Costco the Tally-ho decks are higher quality for the same price. Anyone interested in a deck to practice specialty moves that rely on dribbles, fans, or glides should try out this deck. Anyone who just really likes the way these looks. I personally think it is the best looking red/blue deck on the market. Who should avoid? Advanced card magicians using moves that require a stiff and durable stock and precision control.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results