Tarbell Course In Magic?

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Ok guys, so next saturday is my birthday. And i usually get money for my birthday, and i always get some magic with that money... So this year i was thinking about getting the whole Tarbell Set. Does anyone here own it? or atleast know if it is a good but for 170$?

All the books look great!

Thanks guys,

-blake.

Mar 28, 2010
Maryland
Hey Blake,

I would suggest not getting the entire set at once. I've had the 1st one for about 2 months now and It's kept me busy. I've found that if you get the entire set at once (of any book) you will end up missing key factors and skipping to the next book. So yes I would highly recommend Tarbell just not the entire thing at once.

Hope this helps,
manonthemoon

Jul 13, 2009
Hey Blake,

I would suggest not getting the entire set at once. I've had the 1st one for about 2 months now and It's kept me busy. I've found that if you get the entire set at once (of any book) you will end up missing key factors and skipping to the next book. So yes I would highly recommend Tarbell just not the entire thing at once.

Hope this helps,
manonthemoon

I second this.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You can also find PDF versions of the entire set for sale. I happened to get lucky and get it for $4.99. Some magic stores sell it for $30 I believe.

Most people prefer the hard copy books though. PDF version just makes it easier to upload to your Kindle or Droid or iPad.

Jun 10, 2010
You can also find PDF versions of the entire set for sale. I happened to get lucky and get it for $4.99. Some magic stores sell it for $30 I believe.

Most people prefer the hard copy books though. PDF version just makes it easier to upload to your Kindle or Droid or iPad.

Mhm. I like to take a few magic books (2-3) and a dvd, along with a buncha cards when I go on vacation :cool: . It's pimpin', but I need some sort of metal/leather briefcase with a felt inside, just to give it a classy look. Anyone know where to get one for an affordable, not-too-blown-up price?

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hey Blake,

Hope this helps,
manonthemoon

Hmm.. I think I disagree.

The Tarbell course wasn't a set that should be read straight through in my opinion. I would get the whole set, as they usually sell for $20-$25 bucks a piece and the 8th is a little harder to find.

Although it can be read straight through, I find myself going to certain chapters on subjects I find interesting at the moment. If I want rope magic, there are lessons spread out through the set, as well as silk, card, coin, stage, impromptu, etc..

My advice is get the set, it will be well worth it.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Hmm.. I think I disagree.

The Tarbell course wasn't a set that should be read straight through in my opinion. I would get the whole set, as they usually sell for $20-$25 bucks a piece and the 8th is a little harder to find.

Although it can be read straight through, I find myself going to certain chapters on subjects I find interesting at the moment. If I want rope magic, there are lessons spread out through the set, as well as silk, card, coin, stage, impromptu, etc..

My advice is get the set, it will be well worth it.

I am on both sides of this one. While it would be nice to go through all the lessons in the order they were published, it is also nice to skip around a bit. I guess it would depend on why you are buying them. I bought for the purpose of getting a broader view of magic while learning some stuff along the way so I bought them one at a time. But then again, I was spending a lot of time on coins and cards on the side with other books. Just a thought to ask yourself about why you want the whole series. But as far as if you should get them or not, that shouldn't even be a question. I am always surprised/disappointed when I find a seasoned magician that is not familiar with Tarbell's teachings. And most the time, it shows.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I think to balance out the two opinions, I would say this:

The Tarbell Course, in relation to teaching magic, should be approached one lesson at a time.

In relation to more experienced magicians however, its value may perhaps lie in its massive amount of content, and therefore as a reference, in which case, the set should be purchased - depends on what you want it for.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I think to balance out the two opinions, I would say this:

The Tarbell Course, in relation to teaching magic, should be approached one lesson at a time.

In relation to more experienced magicians however, its value may perhaps lie in its massive amount of content, and therefore as a reference, in which case, the set should be purchased - depends on what you want it for.

I like balance.

I say get the whole set but work through it one lesson at a time. Yes, that requires self-restraint and discipline, but you can do it. However, if you have something you are working on, feel free to jump ahead to lessons you haven't gotten to and read them. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Also, I find that I learn the most from a book when I'm interested in what I'm working on. Sometimes going through page by page works, sometimes jumping around works. But as Prae says, that is something that comes with experience because I have a good grounding in the foundations.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
"You hear this set talked about often, and it’s one you should own. But in the interest of honesty, let us tell you WHY you should own it, which may not be the reason you’re thinking of.

There’s very little in Tarbell you can read and perform AS IS. It was written long ago, and the style is quite brief in most cases, covering a huge amount of material and not leaving a lot of space for each item. Tarbell is also not a series of books you can read cover to cover, page by page.

But, they are CLASSICS for this reason: you can grab any Tarbell book, open to ANY page, and find absolute GOLD, absolute cleverness, and an idea you will have never heard of. Here, I’ll do it right now: I just opened to a page with THREE VERSIONS of a liquid production. That’s a trick I’ve always liked, and here are three ways to do it.

If you can, get the whole set: that’s where the value is. You’ll have the most valuable reference tools in magic (and they look GREAT on a shelf).

If you can only get one, get Tarbell 7. Here’s why: Tarbell was written by Harlan Tarbell, but Harry Lorayne “guest” authored # 7, and it came at a time when Lorayne was really connected to the New York magic scene. He put some MARVELOUS stuff in this volume, and this is the one volume I do read cover to cover because it’s so good. Lorayne’s writing is thorough here, and I find it easier to read than the other volumes.

More Info

The most respected course in magic! The classic volumes cover every aspect and interest in the art of magic performance. A must have for every magic library!

8 hardcover volumes in all. More than 100 detailed lessons in all aspects of magic and magic performance. Totaling more than 3370 pages!
Add to cart

Also available individually:
Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 1 Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 1 ($20.00)

Included in this volume: History of Magic, Magic as a Science, Sleight of Hand with Coins, Coin Tricks, More Coin Tricks, The Thumb Tip, Impromptu Tricks, Bill Tricks, Mathematical Mysteries, Effective Card Mysteries, Impromptu Card Mysteries, Mental Card Mysteries, Card Sleights, Novel Card Mysteries, Restoring Torn Papers, Rope and Tape Principle, Handkerchief Tricks, Knotty Silks, Eggs and Silks.
Add to cart
Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 2 Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 2 ($25.00)

Included in this volume: Pleasing Your Audience, Magic with Wands, Double Paper Mysteries, Magic with Coins, Cigarette Magic, Card Manipulations, Selected Card Mysteries, 17 Rising Card Methods, Egg Magic, Billiard Ball Manipulation, Handkerchief Magic, Rope Magic, Ghostlite Mysteries, Low-Cost Illusions.
Add to cart
Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 3 Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 3 ($25.00)

Included in this volume: Routining a Magic Show, How to Make People Laugh, Intimate Magic, Conjuring with Currency, Modern Coin Effects, Fundamental Card Sleights, Card Mysteries, Card Stabbing, Novelty Handkerchief Magic, Color Changing Silks, Rabbit and Dove Magic, Illusions.
Add to cart
Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 4 Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 4 ($25.00)

Included in this volume: Novelty Magic, Thimble Magic, Swallowing Needles and Blades, Unique Card Magic, Novelty Rising Cards, Card Transition Tricks, Mental and Psychic Mysteries, 10 Thumb Tie Methods, Chinese Linking Rings, Magic with Ribbon, Silken Trickery, Slate Tricks, Illusions.
Add to cart
Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 5 Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 5 ($25.00)

Included in this volume: Unique Magic, More Unique Mysteries, Four-Ace Effects, Modern Mental Mysteries, Hat and Coat Productions, Oriental Magic, Original Oriental Secrets, Tarbell Hindu Rope Mysteries, Modern Rope Magic, Magic of the Bambergs, Magic with Bowls and Liquids, Illusions, Publicity and Promotion.
Add to cart
Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 6 Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 6 ($25.00)

Included in this volume: Novel Ball Magic, Unique Card Effects, Novelty Magic, Rope Magic, Mindreading Mysteries, X-Ray Eyes and Blindfold Effects, Silk and Rope Penetrations, Escapes and Substitutions, Spirit Ties and Vest Turning, Modern Stage Magic, Stage Productions, Magic as Theatre.
Add to cart
Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 7 Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 7 ($25.00)

Included in this volume: More Mental Magic, Card Magic, Rope Magic, Novelty Magic, Money Magic, Silk Magic, Illusions You Can Make, Late Arrivals.
Add to cart
Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 8 Tarbell Course of Magic - Volume 8 ($30.00)

Newest addition to the Tarbell Course, this volume contains original material on many aspects of magic performance, including tips, routines and more. For many years this was the "lost" volume, the one volume of secrets that was not supposed to be released to the public at large.
Add to cart
Write a review
Customer reviews

None of our customers have reviewed this product yet. You can be the first!"

Here is an ad I read about the course, and find it very true.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results