Tarot Deck

Sep 24, 2007
Anyone know of a decent tarot deck that isn't too expensive? Preferably one that doesn't look too "modern," as I will be aging the cards.

Hmm, if it helps at all, the cards won't be manipulated nearly as much as a standard pack. They'll mostly be used for readings, but maybe a demonstration here or there.

Feb 9, 2010
Boston
I'm a newby so out of curiosity...What's a "tarot" deck?

They are a special deck of cards for tarot readings. You seem them any time you go see a psychic or the similar. They lay out the cards and "tell your past present and future." Hence the saying "it's all in the cards."

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wai...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265862026&sr=8-1

This is a deck and book set that look pretty decent. Personally I like the white faces of the cards like this with the dark back. I have an antique set I use for some mentalism stuff but the book may be cool for the meanings of the cards (help with patter etc.)

I saw a shop that had a TON of them in Sedona but didn't go back for a deck. O well.

Jan 10, 2008
I think the most accessible deck that fits your description of what you're looking for in a tarot deck would probably be the Rider-Waite Tarot Deck. It does not look modern at all and they handle great! You also have the option to get them in standard Tarot card, Poker, or Jumbo size. You could most likely pick up the deck at any book store. It would set you back about 15 dollars for the standard Tarot size.
The deck itself is pretty standard in the world of Tarot. This is a wiki page on that deck, here you could see what each of the cards actually look like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider-Waite_tarot_deck

Because you are planning to give the cards an aged look as well, another accessible Tarot Deck that would be a good option for you is the Alister Crowley Thoth Deck. That deck itself has a rather dark history to it, and the cards themselves have a very sinister look and feel to them.

Just a couple of options for you.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Anyone know of a decent tarot deck that isn't too expensive? Preferably one that doesn't look too "modern," as I will be aging the cards.

Hmm, if it helps at all, the cards won't be manipulated nearly as much as a standard pack. They'll mostly be used for readings, but maybe a demonstration here or there.

go to Borders.
They have an entire case of tarot.

Sep 24, 2007
The Universal Waite tarot looks fantastic. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've seen the Crowley tarot, but a bit too dark for my taste.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I was going to recommend the Rider-Waite deck as well. When I was researching such things about a decade ago, the Rider Waite was the most recommended deck I could find.

The Rider-Waite Tarot deck is the most commonly recognized and used Tarot deck in the U.S. This might be useful if you want people to be familiar with the prop you are using. If you want something more mysterious you might want to find a deck that isn't as widely used. My personal favorite Tarot deck is The Thoth Deck, mainly because of the very interesting life of its creator, Mr. Crowley.

Since you are planning to age the deck, I suggest it might be worth while to look around antique stores. I've picked up several older decks that I have found, and paid less then the price of a new one.

I would also look into the work of T.A. Waters. He has developed many clever routines using the Tarot deck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results