Team Building

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hey guys,

I've been asked to come up with some team building programs for companies. Does anyone have any experience or ideas in that field?

It should be one hour max. I was thinking of a short magic/mentalism show, and then teach them some basic tricks that they can practice on each other or something like that.

Any idea is welcome.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Does magic have to be involved or are you asking generally? I have used magic in team building excersizes for restaurant staff, but the main focus was customer service based (how to approach people, make eye contact, listen, positive body language, etc.)

Jul 26, 2016
Toby, I have actually done team building using magic at a corporate event a few years ago. I will share what I did, but the practicality of it will depend on how many people there are and other factors. Also, there were four of us magicians hired for the event. The group of roughly 50 people was broken down into sub-groups (teams) of about 12 people each to prepare for a contest. Each of us magicians was responsible for teaching one of the teams (privately) a self-working, but good, card trick. Each team then had a workshop where they all practiced the trick for a few minutes with their own deck of Bicycle Standard playing cards, provided to them (paid for by the company). The magicians stayed with their team during this process in case there were questions, or help was needed - but mainly let the group sort it out among themselves. Each team then nominated one person to be the presenter/"magician" for the team and he/she would rehearse in front of the team with everyone giving feedback to help strengthen the trick and presentation. This whole rehearsal/feedback process process lasted about a half hour. Then, everyone got all together for a show, that was actually a contest. (Everyone knew in advance that it was going to be a contest among the teams)

The presenter from each team got up before everyone (all 50 people) and performed the trick that had been designated for his team. At the end, everyone voted for what they believed was the best performance. You could not vote for the presenter for your own team. The members of the team whose presenter won the contest (i.e. who received the highest number of votes) all received a nice prize (again paid for by the company).

So, I am not sure how you would adapt this if there was only one magician at an event, but hopefully it will trigger some ideas for you...

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
A two person code would be a great trick to teach. This way they have to rely on each other and work together in order for the trick to succeed.

The first thing that comes to mind is the 4 finger lift. This can be very impressive and when it works you can talk about how important it is to work together.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results