Technical Problems

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Really some quick problems regarding certain sleights.

1) My retention vanish (1st version) from Roth's Expert Coin Magic looks, for the lack of a better term, very hands-y. As in, the retention itself works, but it looks pretty clear that I did ''something'' when I withdraw my right hand from the closed left hand.

2) In that same sleight, I know the popping of the knuckle of the first finger is a no-no, but if I extend the second and third fingers, their knuckles straighten out. Is that a problem?

3) Is the Roth Palm Switch good better than the One-Handed Switch in Bobo's?

4) I have those two books on coin magic. Is there an absolutely (or for the most part) invisible single coin switch?

5) There are two billet switches in Annemann's Practical Mental Magic. Are the absolutely invisible or HAVE to be hidden under in-transit actions?

6) Finally, which billet switch is the better one in that book? The first or the second (Annemann's own creation) one?

I'll appreciate any help at all!
Thanks in advance...

:)

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Really some quick problems regarding certain sleights.

1) My retention vanish (1st version) from Roth's Expert Coin Magic looks, for the lack of a better term, very hands-y. As in, the retention itself works, but it looks pretty clear that I did ''something'' when I withdraw my right hand from the closed left hand.

2) In that same sleight, I know the popping of the knuckle of the first finger is a no-no, but if I extend the second and third fingers, their knuckles straighten out. Is that a problem?
Putting a coin in one hand to the other looks odd as it is, it’s something we don’t normally do unless it’s motivated. If you’re just practicing the vanish your hands are likely in front of you like a T. rex, or you are maybe dropping the dirty hand to the side or something out of frame. Does it look better in the context of something else?

The second finger knuckle moving is a tell, minimizing it helps. If you are going to do that method rotating your hand holding the coin a bit forward helps the coins path and hides/lessens the motion a bit. Rick Holcomb has a video (YouTube) about “improving your coin magic in 10 minutes“, click bait title but he gives great information there. It helped my retention a bit but it didn’t really click until I tried Rubinstein’s touches on the move. If you still have trouble maybe look at his work.

3) Is the Roth Palm Switch good better than the One-Handed Switch in Bobo's?

I’ve had trouble with doing Roth’s quietly from fp to cp, if it’s the one where they pass each other soft coins help. I sometimes get a click or two so I prefer the Tp to Fp to but it’s got more hand motion. “Better” is subjective, I guess it depends if your hands are by your chest or down near a table more. I get more mileage up near my chest.

4) I have those two books on coin magic. Is there an absolutely (or for the most part) invisible single coin switch?

:)

For like ringing in a gaff? and I suppose you mean a Single handed switch?...so not like a humble shuttle pass. Geoff Latta’s tabled coin turnover is in a few books, it’s where a coin on a table is flipped over to show the other side, switching it in that action. It looks okay and can be found in Giacomo Bertini's System for Amazement or Geoff Latta: The Long Goodbye, and for some reason I keep thinking Coins and other Fables has it but pretty sure I’m mistaken.

Deep backclip stuff too but it’s often used as a change (Latta) but the recovery will take some time to make look good. Shoot Ogawas got an example on his Instagram!

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results