Technique from Matthew Mello

Dec 26, 2007
Available now as an instant download or dvd here is the lin and ad copy.

http://www.papercraneproductions.net/technique.htm

I want you to imagine that we are sitting at a coffee shop having a
conversation. I ask you to move to the other side of the room and write any 2 or 3 digit number on a pad of paper while I turn away. I tell you to hold the paper close to your chest so no one can see. After a moment of concentration, I am able to tell you with 100% accuracy what number you are thinking of.

This is Technique. It is a completely impromptu way to reveal a
spectator’s thoughts without peeks, center tears, impression devices, stooges, linguistic deception, or any other known method of seeing what is secretly written.

With Technique YOU NEVER SEE WHAT THE SPECTATOR WRITES DOWN. Finally, a practical method for the most realistic, jaw dropping mind reading you can perform.

Other applications of the Technique principle:

Impromptu drawing duplication of simple shapes
Numerical values of thought of playing cards
Realistic demonstration of the standard scientific ESP test
Key points to consider

You never see what the spectator writes.
Technique is very easy to perform.
The Technique principle has multiple applications.
Bonus Effect included on the DVD
"Technique has been one of my secret tools. Now it's not so secret. I must say that I am genuinely upset that Matt let this go."

-Andrew Gerard

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
Papercraneproductions,

This has really peaked my interest, is "Technique," 100% reliable and accurate or is it close to? Just wondering. I was contemplating buying it, but I wanted to make sure that it worked 100% of the time.

Thanks for any info.

Zack

Sep 1, 2007
Do you have to use a large notepad like the one in the preview or can something else be used? Such as a business card or small peice of paper..

-Dave-

Sep 1, 2007
What's the impromptu factor on this? Is this something I can carry with me or do I even need to carry anything?

Also, what's the bonus effect?

Aug 31, 2007
Dave,

The effect doesn't need to be performed on a notepad. But, I won't lie to you, a business card would be too small. But, rollidex(sp?) index cards can be applied. I usually perform this behind the bar of my restaurant work or at random house partys where notepads are accessible. If your in school, this is a great effect to do. But, another thing I do in my restaurant work is I grab a menu and have them think of an item on the menu. I then have them write the number ON the menu with an erasable marker. You then reveal the appropriate item on another menu. So, I hope you can see how easy it is to apply this idea to different things. Andrew Gerard suggested a routine using a vinyl record and a track listing. You could just as easily have them write the number on a cd cover. Erase it with the erasable marker and then reveal. SO MANY POSSIBILITIES.

Ben,

The effect is completely impromptu. Which means you can just walk into a room and perform it. The bonus effect is basically another underused idea combined with a more common idea. I don't want to go into to much detail or I will give it away. But, basically you reveal two thoughts instead of one. And it can be used as an out should you want to practice Technique without a chance of failure. I will tell you now that I perform technique behind the bar in my restaurant and I haven't actually missed the number in years. Once you learn it, it is VERY simple. But, I basically had to provide an out as a way to just comfort the performer should something weird happen.

Matthew Mello

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
That doesn't answer my question at all. Can you turn around BEFORE they start writing? It's not the same as to not see whats written on the paper. I doesn't matter to me if you don't see what's written the important thing is, can I turn around and then have them write the number, if that's the case then I'll buy it.

Dec 26, 2007
No you cant turn around ask them to write something down and without seeing the paper tell them what they wrote. If you own the product you know this does not matter. Bottom line if you want an effect where you can do direct mind reading without center tears, peeks, imp pads, or witghout seeing or touchng the paper then you should get technique. You are sitting at a restaraunt and you notice someon you want to approach. Hey do me a favor catch this, as you toss a dry erase marker to them. In a second I will turn away and I want you to write a 2 or 3 digit # on the menu, dont worry the menu is laminated and the marker will wipe right off. When they finish you turn towards and face them and from several feet away you are able to tell them what they wrote without ever seeing what they wrote. This and many other presentations are possible with technique.

Aug 31, 2007
What's the impromptu factor on this? Is this something I can carry with me or do I even need to carry anything?

Also, what's the bonus effect?

I also forgot that I provide my version of the billet tear. It's extremely easy to do and I provide a couple of subtle points that will help with any billet tear that you do.

And just as an add on...in my eyes, the most important thing with this effect happens between 13:20-14:00 on the DVD. If you pay attention to that section it will make this method 100 times easier to perform. That one line that you say just makes the method so much easier and simpler. Hope you all check it out and enjoy Technique.

Matthew Mello

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Oh yeah - I said I'd write it up didn't I?:p

Ok, Well Here we go then....

Technique - Matthew Mello

I first saw the dem a while back and thought it looked great - something very clean, very accurate and it's obviously some form of technique you can carry with you anywhere, like cold reading or your favorite billet peek.

I, like many others had a rough idea of what was going on, but I thought I'd check it out - for the sake of £15, I'm happy to pay for a beautifully produced magic DVD.

so, what can Technique do for me?

Imagine strolling into a coffee shop and tossing a pen across to someone you've never met before, or stopping someone in the street at anytime with a pad and paper in hand that you've just picked up from the stationary store behind you...

You ask them to think of any number, you could even go as far as to get them to think of a simple picture, or when you get good enough, a name...A 2 digit number suffices however.

You ask them to write it nice and big, hold the pad up so you can't pencil read and to write it nice and soft so you can't sound read.

You can see everything they draw right in front of you with no peeking, or impression pads, etc.

It's very clean. a perfect demonstration of sheer thought reading.

Thoughts on the method

Now, you'll note that there was some controversy sparked on the cafe, but this is not pen reading. You can not see the pen. This is however, a very powerful technique that does the same job.

The method is very,very simple to perform - Matt breaks everything down into little bitesized chunks and goes over EVERYTHING you could possible want to know. You can even practice along with him - it's a bit like sesame street, but with less felt.

There is also Matt's billet tear, which is an awesomely choreographed peek which I personally really like, as well as some outs while you're practicing the technique.

It's a great method, very easy to do and VERY well taught. In my eyes, it's nothing too revolutionary, but I've not seen this particular method in print before and it truly is child's play once you get it down so you can focus on your presentation.

Other thoughts

To wrap up, it's a very well produced piece, not too expensive and it's something that you will use - if you have any common sense.

They could have priced this release much higher for the information it contains and the depth that Matthew goes into. If I hadn't already, I wouldn't hesitate to pick this up.

Respec' Matt M. and respec' to the Papercrane posse! Yo.

D.

Aug 31, 2007
Dee,

I'm glad that you enjoyed it and felt that you got your moneys worth.

The billet tear is one of my favorite things for close-up performances. I would say I have literally performed it 10,000 times...no joke. I'm planning on releasing another DVD in the future which will have a few of my presentations for the tear. Plus, it will also include a bunch of other effects.

So, once again, glad you liked it. Hope you get as much use out of it as I have.

Matthew Mello

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Nice review Dee.

I'm guessing I'll have to put this on my list not only due to it being hard hitting
but also so practical and of course to get Mello's tips.
I also want to get a peek at that peek.

If I keep this up the wifes going to be pissed when Christmas rolls around and
theirs not much from me under the tree and that credit card bill has Papercrane listed a bunch of times.:(

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results