Tendinitis

Dtop

Elite Member
Jan 13, 2019
I have been working on creating my own card spin flourish specific to a gimmick I have been creating as a regular flourish does not work(flourish works on gimmick and regular cards). I have gotten really good at it and can preform the flourish as often as I like. I often while in class spin the card in my hand as I have to fidget and it is way for me to do it in a non-distracting manner. While this is all good, my thumb has all of a sudden in the past day developed a pain in movement of it, a pain that has continually gotten worse since I first noticed it yesterday. I do not have arthritis, however I have been diagnosed with Tendinitis. I am here to ask for advice. Do I continue to practice the routine I have been working on for over a year and just leave the flourish out? Do I stop practicing it in general? Should I take a short break from magic and see if my hand will heal? I'm not sure what I should do, as this routine has been a part of my life for a year+. Even though I haven't preformed the flourish, the simplest things such as texting and other card tricks have increasing the irritation. Help? Thanks!

Sleck

Elite Member
Nov 26, 2017
I'm no doctor nor a person to give medical advice so take what I say with a grain of salt. But in short, it always hurts the first time as you could be developing new muscles in parts of your hand that you have never trained before.

Likewise, I love spinning a card, aka the pirouette, when I'm bored and doing faro shuffles. I don't think I ever developed soreness on my thumb by doing pirouettes but I did for my pinkie and lower palm from doing the faros. It's similar to working out at a gym, the soreness/pain is new muscle being built, so it is absolutely normal. However, if the pain is severe please give it a rest until you feel better. And if it persists, definitely seek a doctor to get it checked out.

Reactions: Dtop
Jul 6, 2019
Yeah you should really see a doctor. And in response to someone else, muscle pain is fairly normal when you are starting out, joint/tendon pain is not and if that's what you are experiencing you need to stop what you're doing until you can have it looked at.

Reactions: Dtop

Dtop

Elite Member
Jan 13, 2019
Thanks guys! I had my thumb checked out. I do have tendinitis, however all it needed was a few days of rest and its feeling good as new. I have taken a break from the flourish, but thats ok. Thanks for the support!

Reactions: Sleck
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results