The Abyss by The Enchantment, Review

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
This is a review for The Abyss by The Enchantment. This is the NEW Abyss, NOT the old one.
I will try and answer the most common questions that I have seen around the place, but I will not reveal the gimmick or how the trick is done, so here we go:

Q: Is there a gimmick/ Is it included with the purchase?
A: Yes, there is a gimmick that is included with the booklet. You might need a few other materials, but 98 % of households should have them.

Q: Is the bottle/coin examinable at the end/ Do you end clean?
A: Yes, everything is examinable at the end of the routine, and with a simple move or two, you end up clean.

Q: Is this difficult to perform?
A: No, however I think that you should have a basic understanding of coin magic just so that you’re more comfortable with them.

Q: Can the bottle be borrowed?
A: Yes, and no. I wish I could go into more details, but I think it might be exposure if I did, so I will simply say that it can be a borrowed bottle, but that there is a catch.

Q: Is there a setup/reset?
A: Yes, there is a setup which can't be done in front of the spectators. The reset is the same as the set up.

Q: Can you use a glass bottle?
A: I believe so, but you would have to make a few modifications to your performance of the trick.

Q: Can it be done with any bottle?
A: In theory, yes. As I have not tried out every single bottle out there, I can not say for sure, but I would say yes it can be.

Q: Is this impromptu?
A: It is, but there is some set up necessary, but the manual teaches you MANY different ways to do this with as little setup as possible.

Q: Does the bottle have to be full of liquid?
A: No, it does not; it could be full of... I don’t know... Chocolate pudding if you want.

The Review!

The official spam!
The magician visually pushes a borrowed coin through and into an ordinary bottle. It is so visual people swear there must be a hole in the bottle. But the bottle is completely normal; free of any holes, slits, or openings of any kind. The coin is completely normal as well. That’s right. The coin and the bottle are both ordinary, everyday, common items. No trick bottles, no trick coins. Everything is regular. The next kicker is that the coin is genuinely trapped inside the bottle and impossible to get out. The coin is far too large to get in or out of the bottle and remains fixed permanently in this impossible condition.

But that is not all...

The bottle is 100% Completely Sealed! The seal is unopened and has never been tampered with in any way…ever! Finally, this completely sealed bottle, with a coin trapped inside, that is too large to get in or out of the bottle, can be immediately handed out to your spectators for thorough examination, and as an astonishing keepsake. Needless to say, this is a genuine reputation maker.

WHAT YOU GET

The booklet for The Abyss
The gimmick

THE GIMMICK

Can’t really say much here, since it would borderline on exposure, but the gimmick is undetectable.

THE BOOKLET

The booklet is 20 pages long, and includes plenty of full color pictures for those with a limited imagination. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow; however I would recommend reading through the booklet twice in a row; once to get the idea of how the effect works, and again to get a deeper and richer understanding of this effect.

Alternate Handlings:
The booklet teaches you 7 different ways of handling the coin before it is put into the bottle, and different subtleties (with pictures) that will help you on your performances. After it teaches you the various handlings, it teaches you 11 different performances of how to get the coin into the bottle. I won’t go in depth and review each individual performance, but they are all very similar and use pretty much the same method.

PRO'S AND CONS

Pro's:
Visual
Easy once you get the handling down
Can be done almost anywhere with a moments notice
Great teaching in booklet
Comes with the gimmick, and everything that you could possibly need
There are many different handlings and variations that you can do.

Con's:
You aren’t always clean at the end
Isn’t 100 % impromptu
Setup can’t be done in front of spectators
You might have to buy a refill for the gimmick
Can be difficult at first if you don’t have a basic knowledge of coin magic

OVERALL OPINION/FINAL THOUGHTS

I think that this is an underrated C.I.B effect; sure, it probably doesn’t stand up to Impervious or Lucid Dreams, but I don’t think people should be so quick to dismiss it.
Considering the price, I think that this is a very good effect. I bought it for $12.70, plus S&H on Penguin Magic. And considering what you get with your purchase, it’s totally worth it in my book; you get the booklet, which shows you 7 different ways to handle the coin that’s going into the bottle, 11 different ways of putting it into the bottle, and the knowledge of how it’s done can be used to make your own effects (something that the authors strongly suggest through out the manual).

Overall, in my opinion this is a very good Coin In Bottle for beginners and intermediates alike, and it’s certainly cheaper than other C.I.B.’s, I would recommend this for someone who is looking for a high quality, low-priced coin in bottle.

8/10

P.S. I'll add a little bit more stuff to it tomorrow, when I'm not so tired. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results