The Dreaded Click Deck

TaylorF

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
We all know what I'm talking about. I don't know why it happens, too cold maybe? But how do you fix the dedk or do you not? Ive found freezing the deck for 20 ish mins in the freezer then keeping it in a clip for a half hour works well. I know it kinda damages the cards a bit. I fix all my decks like this, then the next morning, boom. All the decks go back to clicking. Any suggestions about stopping this better and protecting the cards from it?
[UPDATE]
A fix for now, tested on a standard bike deck, waiting for final results.
I use a humid warm room, spread them, and leave them there for 5 mins, come back, put them in a clip and the box in the next room, where the humidity doesnt differ as much, i use a shower to get some humidity pretty quick, and then after 15 mins or so in the clip, take the clip off, spring them both ways, and then box ema nd leave them in a room temperature room. Fixed it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 1, 2009
California
This has never really been a big issue for me... if the deck I'm using is clicking, I'll just spend a fair amount of time working it in, if it doesn't do the trick and my patience runs out, I'll grab a deck that isn't clicking and move on. It's only a $2.00 expendable item, I don't fret it! If the deck is clicking and it's a valuable deck to you, just find work on breaking it in every so often and keep it in a room temperature area, it'll come around.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Farrow shuffle the cards over and over again, however do it with cards alternating in opposite directions. Yes, it will look like a triumph mess / routine, but keep doing it and the click will go away after about 10 of them. Obviously you will then need to put the cards back facing all the same direction afterwards.

TaylorF

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
Farrow shuffle the cards over and over again, however do it with cards alternating in opposite directions. Yes, it will look like a triumph mess / routine, but keep doing it and the click will go away after about 10 of them. Obviously you will then need to put the cards back facing all the same direction afterwards.
Thanks I'll try it! My room where my cards are in is a little below room temperature. It sounds like that would work, and it will probably take way less time!

c.t

Apr 17, 2013
Australia
fridge for an hour then loads of springs and pressure fans then do it again with the deck facing the other way, seems to work for me

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It is humidity largely. Which is why a freezer will temporarily solve it, then make it worse. Cold = condensation.

Sep 23, 2012
I always have this problem but I learned how to take advantage of it
for example you can do a haunted deck without gimmicks

TaylorF

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
I always have this problem but I learned how to take advantage of it
for example you can do a haunted deck without gimmicks

huh never thought of that.
I did find a way to fix them, since there are rooms with more humidity than mine, I put them in there and turn the heater up and spread them somewhere in the room, and come back in 5-10 mins, then let them sit overnight in the box.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
We all know what I'm talking about. I don't know why it happens, too cold maybe? But how do you fix the dedk or do you not? Ive found freezing the deck for 20 ish mins in the freezer then keeping it in a clip for a half hour works well. I know it kinda damages the cards a bit. I fix all my decks like this, then the next morning, boom. All the decks go back to clicking. Any suggestions about stopping this better and protecting the cards from it?

I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to. Is it a deck that seems to click (due to a bow in the cards) when you handle it? If this is the case, the only solution I have is to dribble it on the opposite corners that there is a bow (as this seems to occur most when the cards are bent diagonally).

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I think its a humidity thing.

So do I! For me it is definiitley something to do with the weather, many of the decks I open brand new will almost immediately bow. Some decks never have been flat and probably never will be. I just figure it come with the territory where I live. I keep my cards in Porper card clips, under books and I faro the bajevees out of them and they still pop in both the heat and the cold.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I end up bending decks that way through handling so I don't worry too much about it.

But Faro them face up/face down and leave them in a Porper clip or under a stack of books in a cool/dry place over night.

I can usually bend them the other way pretty easily but I'm also brutal to my cards so your mileage may vary.

Have a great day!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
fridge for an hour then loads of springs and pressure fans then do it again with the deck facing the other way, seems to work for me

Incredibly bad idea. It might work for like a min or two and then right after that it will pretty much destroy the cards completely.

Apr 17, 2013
Incredibly bad idea. It might work for like a min or two and then right after that it will pretty much destroy the cards completely.

I have decks from the 1600s to the 1940's I keep in a small fridge kept the warmest I can keep it. All that are kept in there are cards. It's like my own salt mine and I have been doing it for about 17 years now.

TaylorF

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to. Is it a deck that seems to click (due to a bow in the cards) when you handle it? If this is the case, the only solution I have is to dribble it on the opposite corners that there is a bow (as this seems to occur most when the cards are bent diagonally).

Not quite, its like they switch from concave to convex beacause of the way they warp sometimes, i did manage to fix them however. Its a little time consuming, but completely worth it if they are even remotely worth anything to you.

TaylorF

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
So do I! For me it is definiitley something to do with the weather, many of the decks I open brand new will almost immediately bow. Some decks never have been flat and probably never will be. I just figure it come with the territory where I live. I keep my cards in Porper card clips, under books and I faro the bajevees out of them and they still pop in both the heat and the cold.

I use a humid warm room, spread them, and leave them there for 5 mins, come back, put them in a clip and the box in the next room, where the humidity doesnt differ as much, i use a shower to get some humidity pretty quick, and then after 15 mins or so in the clip, take the clip off, spring them both ways, and then box ema nd leave them in a room temperature room. Fixed it for me.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I have decks from the 1600s to the 1940's I keep in a small fridge kept the warmest I can keep it. All that are kept in there are cards. It's like my own salt mine and I have been doing it for about 17 years now.

Yes, but the ones the guy was talking about where the cards he's used before. I am pretty sure you haven't opened those old cards and used them. Therefor they haven't absorbed in the moisture from your hands/environment. Correct? So with his situation, him putting the cards in the fridge/freezer would just make the problem worse.

TaylorF

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
Yes, but the ones the guy was talking about where the cards he's used before. I am pretty sure you haven't opened those old cards and used them. Therefor they haven't absorbed in the moisture from your hands/environment. Correct? So with his situation, him putting the cards in the fridge/freezer would just make the problem worse.
Yeah youre right. It did make it worse. Thankfully, since cold caused it, the humidity fixed it.

You ever see those infomercials on vacuum-sealing food? You know....those ones you watch at 2:45 in the morning, naked and eating an entire box of Little Debbie swiss rolls? Not because you particularly like them, and you'd rather have some cosmic brownies with chocolate chip candy but because it's the only thing available in the house and you don't want to get up and drive 5.8 miles to the truck stop next to the Interstate to grab BAR-B-Q Fritos, Cinnamon rolls and a Slurpee because that prostitute Candy Jenkins is always asking you for $7 dollars and you always have to roll a quarter in the opposite direction to make her chase after it so you can get away?

Yeah, just Ronco that sh*t with some vacuum seal mylar bags. It'll dehydrate the cards AND straighten them out as the bag tightly molds itself around the deck. You could do 3 or 4 decks at a time. Problem solve.....done.

You're welcome.

Regards,

NG.

Postscript: Nothing I said above is in any way, shape or form accurate or true. I DO NOT recommend or condone vacuum-sealing playing cards. Do So At Your Own Risk.

N.

Post-postscript:

Not quite, its like they switch from concave to convex beacause of the way they warp sometimes,

Just do a bunch of Jeff McBride card flowers and don't worry about it.

N.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results