The Exit Reviews 1: Collateral by Daniel Madison

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I call these the Exit Reviews because they will be the last major posts before my indefinite hiatus that none of you care about.

Available as one of the chapters in INSIDE....

12 effects
TRIP TRANSTORN VANTAGE REBOUND DELUSION OVERKILL INFLICTION BOXER FAN CHANGE ENEMY THIRTEEN HALF TRIUMPH

TRIP…
A CARD IS TAKEN FROM THE DECK AND FOLDED IN HALF
HALF OF THE CARD IS SIGNED BY THE SPECTATOR - THE OTHER HALF IS SIGNED BY THE PERFORMER
THE CARD IS TORN IN HALF AND THE SPECTATORS HALF IS PLACED IN THE SPECTATORS HAND
THE OTHER HALF – SIGNED BY THE PERFORMER – IS WAVED ABOVE THE SPECTATORS SIGNED HALF – FACE UP
THE HALF INSTANTLY AND VISUALLY BECOMES THE SPECTATORS HALF
THE SPECTATORS HALF IS THEN SHOWN TO BE THE PERFORMERS HALF
THE TWO HALVES ARE THEN TAKEN AND SLOWLY RESTORED

This confused me a bit during the explanation, but I was able to learn it. This is complex but killer. The design behind it is really simple. You'll need to make a small gimmick, but it's something you will carry around with no problems. The effect basically transposes signatures several times, and then you restore the halves at the end with only one tear remaining, but it's justified. A great routine in my personal opinion. 7/10.

TRANSTORN…
A CARD IS CHOSEN AND LOST IN THE DECK
ANOTHER CARD IS TAKEN AND TORN IN HALF – FACE UP
HALF BY HALF THE CARD CHANGES INTO THE SELECTION

This is a straightforward torn transposition. It's great. R3man's variation is priceless. The whole trick is simple in design and brilliant in method. 9/10.

VANTAGE…
A DECK IS INTRODUCED THAT HAS A HOLE TORN OUT OF THE BACK OF THE BOX THROUGH WHICH THE CARDS, OR AT LEAST THE BOTTOM CARD CAN BE IDENTIFIED
THE CARDS ARE REMOVED AND THE HOLE IS INSPECTED
A CARD IS SELECTED, SIGNED AND RETURNED TO THE DECK
THE CARDS ARE SHUFFLE AND PLACED BACK INTO THE BOX; THE CARD SEEN THROUGH THE HOLE IS NOT THE SPECTATORS’ SELECTION
THE PERFORMER SIMPLY WAVES HIS HAND OVER THE HOLE CAUSING THE CARD INSIDE TO VISUALLY CHANGE INTO THE SIGNED SELECTED CARD
THE BOX IS INSTANTLY PASSED TO THE SPECTATOR FOR INSPECTION

This requires a small gaff you can make in a few minutes with things you already have, guaranteed. The change is great and mystifying. If you have a Wynn box, use that, trust me. It looks much better than a weird square opening in the back of a deck of Bikes, but regardless of boxes, it looks great. 6/10.

REBOUND…
A SELECTED CARD PENETRATES THE TAPE OF A BOUND CARD TO BECOME BOUND WITH IT
A CARD IS INTRODUCED THAT IS COMPLETELY BOUND BY TAPE
A CARD IS FREELY SELECTED
THE SELECTED CARD IS SLAMMED AGAINST THE BOUND CARD
THE SELECTED CARD IS THEN SHOWN TO HAVE PENETRATED THE TAPE TO BE COME BOUND WITH THE BOUND CARD… THE BOUND CARDS ARE THEN INSTANTLY HANDED OUT FOR INSPECTION AND CAN BE KEPT BY THE SPECTATOR

I personally didn't like this effect due to its nature. Cards and electrical tape together? Not for me. It's a nice idea though. I might use it once or twice for some other applications. This requires a couple gimmicks as well. 5/10.

DELUSION…
A CARD IS PLACED FACE DOWN IN THE PERFORMERS HAND
WHEN IT IS TURNED FACE UP THE CARD HAS CHANGED
BOTH HANDS ARE SHOWN EMPTY WITH ONLY ONE CARD IN HAND

This is a great change/switch, reminiscent of the VCR Change. I'd recommend this as a switch or control, not necessarily a change, because as a switch it's so darn convincing. You might have a little knack issue with this, as D+M uses an old sleight in a new way, but it's controllable and wonderful. 9/10.

OVERKILL…
A PREDICTION IS WRITTEN AND THE DECK IS HANDED TO THE SPECTATOR
THE SPECTATOR IS HANDED THE DECK AND ASKED TO DEAL ANY CARD FROM ANYWHERE IN THE DECK
THE PREDICTION IS TURNED OVER, THE CARD IS TURNED OVER… A PERFECT PREDICTION IS REVEALED

It's a solid mentalism piece, but I kind of expected the method. I read about it in a beginner's book, or something similar. However, if you're just starting mentalism it's great and won't let you down. 6/10.

INFLICTION…
A CARD IS FREELY SELECTED AND RETURNED TO THE DECK
THE PERFORMER ASKS THE SPECTATOR TO LIGHT THEIR LIGHTER
THE PERFORMER HANDS THE DECK TO THE SPECTATOR AND HOLDS TWO FINGERS IN THE FLAME OF THE LIGHTER
THE LIGHT IS EXTINGUISHED LEAVING THE PERFORMER WITH A BLISTER ON BOTH FINGERS WHICH ARE IN THE SHAPE OF THE SELECTED CARD – A 2 ON ONE FINGER AND A HEART ON THE OTHER

Blister effects aren't for me whatsoever, but I must appreciate the great thinking behind this. It uses a couple gaffs that allow for the effect to happen, and it's fairly ingenious. 7/10.

BOXER…
A FREELY SELECTED AND SIGNED CARD PENETRATES AN EMPTY AND CLOSED CARD BOX THREE TIMES UNDER IMPOSSIBLE CIRCUMSTANCES

Best. Card to box. Routine. EVER.
Yes I love it this much. It's impromptu genius, and allows for a double transposition/penetration (that is what she said.) and is just overall amazing. It's very cleverly thought out and just great. 9.5/10.

FAN CHANGE…
A CARD IS TURNED FACE UP ON TOP OF THE DECK
THE PERFORMER FANS THE DECK, AT WHICH POINT THE FACE UP CARD INSTANTLY CHANGES

This is a good if not knacky change. It teaches the MTS and then the change itself. The change looks amazing if done right. There's just no rational explanation for the ever so visual change. 7/10.

ENEMY…
A SELECTED CARD IS PLACED ON TOP OF THE DECK OVERLAPPING THE DECK
THE CARD IS TURNED OVER AND SHOWN TO HAVE CHANGED / VANISHED / SWITCHED

There are two versions of this: gimmicked and non-gimmicked. I love the gimmick because it's so devious. I'll definitely use it most often, although the impromptu version is good in a tight squeeze. It's just amazing and no one will figure it out. 8/10.

THIRTEEN…
ALL OF THE SPADES ARE TAKEN FROM THE DECK AND RIBBON SPREAD
A CARD IS SELECTED FROM THE DECK
THE PERFORMER CLAIMS THAT HE WILL NOT ONLY VANISH THE SELECTED CARD BUT EVERY CARD FROM THAT SUIT… THE DECK IS SPREAD TO SHOW ONLY CLUBS AND DIAMONDS
THE RIBBON SPREAD SPADES IS CLOSED AND SPREAD ONCE AGAIN TO REVEAL A CONSECUTIVE SPREAD OF SPADES AND HEARTS WITH ONE CARD IN THE MIDDLE FACE DOWN… THE SELECTED CARD

Dan White's Compression, which was pulled from the market for reasons I do not know, inspired this routine. It has a bit of a lengthy setup and for that reason alone I don't think I'll perform it. The setup is slightly confusing and, as I said, lengthy, but it looks good in design. It looks a little bit like Joshua Jay's Trumped Triumph, only minus the triumph and backwards...(?). Anyway, for those of you who can bear the setup, this will do well for you. 6.5/10.

HALF TRIUMPH…
WITH A SIGNED SELECTED CARD PROTRUDING THE DECK, THE PERFORMER IS ABLE TO MAKE THE DECK TURN FACE UP WITHOUT CAUSING THE SELECTED CARD TO MOVE
HE REPEATS THIS CAUSING THE DECK TO TURN FACE DOWN, ONCE AGAIN THE SELECTED CARD DOESN’T MOVE
THE DECK IS THEN SPLIT AND MIXED UP, HALF OF THE DECK FACE UP AND HALF FACE DOWN WITH THE SELECTED CARD SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE
THE CARDS ARE THEN SPREAD TO SHOW ONLY ONE CARD FACE DOWN… THE SELECTED CARD

One of my new favorite Triumph routines. Like most everything in this ebook, it's well thought out and deviously designed. It's intermediate difficulty, impromptu, and amazing. It's like Greg Wilson's Revolver, but with less phases and simpler in design - although I don't have the former. Anyway, this is a spectacular triumph effect you will add to your arsenal. 9.5/10.

Overall, this book gets an 8/10 from me. It had it's less than par moments, but overall it's wonderful. Get it now.

Ian

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results