"The Gift" - Q and A (Matt Sconce's new effect)

Nov 5, 2007
Hello fellow magi,
I have currently been working on a feature film about magic www.magic-the-movie.com and have recently gone live on my magic creation site www.aftershockmagic.com

Pre-orders open now! Products will ship on or before January 15th. Buyers of the Pre-order will receive links to the download as soon as it is available for FREE. Otherwise the download will be available after the Pre-orders period stops. If you pre-order the DVD, links will be sent immediately to your email telling you where to buy the gimmicks. Best wishes!

The Gift: http://www.aftershockmagic.com [video=youtube;82obXYQe0OI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82obXYQe0OI[/video]

I love to take methods and ideas and delve into other things you can do with them. I did this by taking the method behind SPIN to the extremes it could be pushed to and I believe I did the same outside the box thinking with Power Word: Fall.

The Gift is what I would call the descendant of the former two tricks, a different method that lets you do some things that each of the above tricks do, but much more as well. It is more dependable, and easier to do. It has no moments you may "get caught" preparing and is just good old fashion powerful psychokinetic goodness. No hands need to be by the object, but can be if you want to. Your hands and arms start and end clean. You can move so many things, even big things like samurai swords and fire pokers. I do this all the time as it is my go to effect for psychokinetic magic. It is going to be used in the movie "Magic" and I wanted to start out a thread where you could ask any questions you may have. Without exposing the method and such, I will try to answer your questions. Stay tuned as I will be releasing several more illusions in the next year.

Best wishes, Matt Sconce

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 1, 2009
California
I'm excited to see another product from you.

How impromptu is this?

Is the crystal ball necessary?

It appears to be more powerful than spin, due to how large the items get and completely different method, due to the items you're using.

How's the set up for this?

Time restraints?

Clothing restraints?

Nov 5, 2007
I'm excited to see another product from you.

Thanks! I am super stoked to release this as I love it!

How impromptu is this?

Once you are setup, you can perform at any time.

Is the crystal ball necessary?

Nope, it just looks cool and is a nice frictionless surface.

It appears to be more powerful than spin, due to how large the items get and completely different method, due to the items you're using.

It is MUCH more powerful than SPIN.

How's the set up for this?

A couple things must be created after watching the DVD (It is easy and takes no time, so do not fret). After that, the setup takes under a minute and you are good to go all day or night.

Time restraints?

Nope. Once setup, perform whenever wherever in any weather, indoor outdoor, day or night.

Clothing restraints?

It is recommended you wear clothes :) You could perform this with your sleeves rolled up or down or in a short sleeve shirt. You could also perform this shirtless. No clothing alterations will be necessary.

Best wishes! Matt Sconce

Apr 1, 2009
California
how accessible are the needed materials? do they come with the dvd or can they be found at home or at easily at stores? I live in Germany so things are a bit harder to come by.

Nov 5, 2007
how accessible are the needed materials? do they come with the dvd or can they be found at home or at easily at stores? I live in Germany so things are a bit harder to come by.

The accessible materials are common at the store and the pricey ones come with the full package. You will not need to replace them, as they are never "used up". If you want more of them for other reasons, they are available online at a link that is provided with purchase.

Sep 1, 2007
This looks great Matt! I'll definitely be looking forward to this and to seeing that movie! I've always wanted to be an actor, only to be torn away by magic, and alas! A magic movie! Haha, I wish you the best with both these projects. I'll probably be getting this very soon to add to my new show.

This can be done with one set up before I arrive at the party, show up and hop from table to table with setup in between or no setup between performances at all? If so is it a setup I can do whilst in front of my audience or will I have to use the little boys room before every performance and tell them I was born with an unusually small bladder.

This thing looks good enough for me to demean myself into having an undersized bladder, so let me know before I start faking the medical documents...

Nov 5, 2007
This looks great Matt! I'll definitely be looking forward to this and to seeing that movie! I've always wanted to be an actor, only to be torn away by magic, and alas! A magic movie! Haha, I wish you the best with both these projects. I'll probably be getting this very soon to add to my new show.

This can be done with one set up before I arrive at the party, show up and hop from table to table with setup in between or no setup between performances at all? If so is it a setup I can do whilst in front of my audience or will I have to use the little boys room before every performance and tell them I was born with an unusually small bladder.

This thing looks good enough for me to demean myself into having an undersized bladder, so let me know before I start faking the medical documents...

Haha! You setup once before arrival at the table hopping gig or show, and then perform until you are done. You will not have to escape to reset between tables. There is no reset. Best wishes and put the medical documents away! ;) -Matt

Nov 5, 2007
I'll do a download Matt. Shipping internationally is just too much trouble and wasted cash.
James

Most people will need the gimmicks so shipping will come into play either way most likely, whether you get the download and then order the gimmicks yourself, or the full package of "The Gift". Perhaps people will be able to buy the gimmicks closer to home, but they will most likely either need to be acquired by buying the full package or from an online source. People can send me queries once "The Gift" is ready for release and I will give them a general idea of what they need so they can make the best purchasing decision. The lead of the movie "Magic" (HannaH Eisenmann)will be testing "The Gift" on Saturday when we film the teaser trailer. Best wishes! Matt Sconce

Nov 5, 2007
Edited post and moved below. First 4 pre-order testers receive the download for no extra charge when it is ready. Best! -Matt Sconce

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 5, 2007
I'll be getting the DVD with gimmicks, this looks very very good!

Test complete! Pre-orders open now! Products will ship on or before January 15th. Buyers of the Pre-order will receive links to the download as soon as it is available for FREE. Otherwise the download will be available after the Pre-orders period stops. If you pre-order the DVD, links will be sent immediately to your email telling you where to buy the gimmicks. Best wishes!

The Gift: http://www.aftershockmagic.com

Nov 5, 2007
I am currently working on getting the download online. Thank you to those who have pre-ordered so far. As soon as the downloads come available I will send you (The pre-orderers..is that a word? :) ) the link to them and you could be performing this before it ever releases officially. Thanks again! -Matt Sconce

Nov 5, 2007
Just sent out the free download to the people who have pre-ordered so far! You should have a link in your email! Working on finishing the DVD now. -Matt

Nov 5, 2007
Someone who just received the free download, by pre-ordering the DVD, posted this on the cafe:

On 2010-12-13 02:09, J. Prager wrote:
This is AMAZING!

Congratulations Matt, you´ve done it again!

I will have The Gift always with me!

:)

I am excited for the release. It should be soon! Stay tuned. :) -Matt Sconce

Nov 5, 2007
Here is the first review from an owner of THE GIFT,

On 2010-12-13 07:04, steveline wrote:
Perfect timing from Matt, to bring us THE GIFT in time for Christmas.
(Hey that was a pretty clever play on words there. I'm wasted on you lot.)

Matt describes this as the child of PowerWord Fall and Spin.

I got the download version, without the accompanying gimmicks.(Most of which I already had)
However Matt thoughtfully includes direct links to the necessary items for those who don't go for the full package option.

What's the quality of the video like?
The video is nicely produced and well lit. Everything is very easy to see and understand.
Exactly what an instructional video should be.

Do I have to do a lot of prep work?
It is possible to go out and do this totally impromptu with only one part of the kit, and still be able to move items easily.
Most people will, I'm sure, want to make use of the full package, and for this there is some preparation work, but this is a one-time affair and very easily accomplished.

Are there any working restrictions?
The method is invisible, silent and angle proof.
You can work in a T-shirt if you want.

How easy is it to do?
I was going to say as easy as taking candy from a baby; but now I think about it, taking candy from the baby is probably the more difficult of the two.

Do I need to practice?
If you have to ask then you need to change either hobby or profession. We should practice everything, even how to take things out of our pockets.
But specifically for The Gift, I would say a couple of hours one afternoon would see you all gimmicked up and able to work the effect.

Then just work on the presentation.

Is it a worker?
Oh yes. Wow people all night with this one. Hop from table to table with no re-set.
Stun everyone at the office Christmas party.

Do yourself a favour, get yourself a gift....The Gift

(Oh and have a happy Christmas y'all)

Regards
steve

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results