The infamous pinky count

Feb 5, 2008
Do any of you use the pinky count? Do you think it's worth investing the time to perfect?

If any of you know any sources that teaches it, I would be interested in looking it up.

-WildCard

Sep 2, 2007
London
Yes to both questions.

I use the pinky (or "little finger" as I tend to call it, being British) count all the time to establish breaks, as a get-ready for a tilt, and as an aid to estimation. However, I will admit that a thumb count, although more visible and requiring more movement for some applications, can serve pretty much the same purpose if it's performed under misdirection. I think one of the benefits of practicing it is to strengthen and increase the sensitivity of the finger in question. This helps enormously if, for example, you want to pull down a certain number of cards from the bottom of the deck, or perform a one-hand bottom palm. I also think that passes can be made more invisible by getting the little finger more involved, rather than those spectators who are burning your hands being allowed to see that moment of tension of the fingers that are closer to them.

As for a source teaching it, do you really need one? If you understand what a pinky count is, then I don't think you'll get much from watching it on DVD or reading a description. I think this is an individual kind of thing, with the finer points depending on your own particular hand. I think basically, as with many moves, it's just something you need to play with until you can eliminate as much movement and muscle tension as possible.

Sep 1, 2007
In theory, the pinky count is a great way to secure a break for multiple lifts - its the most direct access to what you need. Greg Wilson makes some great points about pinky counting on one of his DVDs - the moment of tension and concentration that many magicians go through when doing this technique kind of detract from its technical advantages!

At the end of the day, getting a break is nothing to sweat over. Thumb counting, riffling up with the right thumb, push over/pull back...its all good provided you use offbeats and timing to correctly manage your audience's attention and focus. A lot of the time magicians seem to focus on technical solutions to issues rather than look at the big picture - whatever gets the job done best is what you should use.

Having said all that, a perfect pinky count is goign to be the tool that gets the job done best no matter what. Its just that a perfect pinky count is very hard to perfect and I prefer simpler solutions which allow me to focus on being a more entertaining and flexible magician. If I'm not mistaken, Derren Brown demonstrates remarkable facility with pinky counting in the "Devil's Picturebook" DVDs.

Cheers,
David.

Feb 5, 2008
I am already capable of INVISIBLY getting a break under any number of cards with an extremely subtle technique I devolped.. (It's definitely a magician fooler.) But the only thing that COULD surpass it is a pinky count.

The reason I'm interested in the pinky count, is the idea of being able to get a break under more than 2 cards, one-handed. And I would rather learn it from a book [so I can learn the finger positions,] instead of guessing. (Assuming there are specific positions that aid in counting.)

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
I use the pinky count. Works helluva lot better than how most magicians get their breaks...

But I don't use it for multiple lifts... I don't need it. I use it to get ready for other things like 4-for-4 switches or to get breaks under Cards that require to get an extra 4-5 cards.

Feb 5, 2008
I use the pinky count. Works helluva lot better than how most magicians get their breaks...

But I don't use it for multiple lifts... I don't need it. I use it to get ready for other things like 4-for-4 switches or to get breaks under Cards that require to get an extra 4-5 cards.

From what source did you learn it? :)

Reactions: vinod 1
worth the practice

Well everybody claiming that the pinky count is not worth learning is either lazy or
a lier. Think about it. Being able to acquire a break without any visible action is sooo useful. As a preparation for a double lift its best!

You can learn it in Darwin Ortiz book "at the card table". Darwin uses pinky count exclusively as a means for getting a break.

Adjones: I am surprised that you would give such a bad tip. I thought you knew better from your previous posts. + a buckle works for break on the bottom and not top. You maybe confusing pinky count with pinky pulldown...

Sep 5, 2007
Cyprus
I use the pinky count all the time... it is a knacky but a superb and invisible move. I learned it from Darwin Ortiz "At the card table"

you need time to develop the required strentgh of the pinky finger and the right technique but believe me, it is worth it. you will get frustrated learning it, but do not give up... it is one of the moves that takes your magic forward..

Just a tip, use your thumb to push down the outer left corner from the side of the deck and not from the top of the deck

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Card College vol.1 has a section on it.
The Trilogy has a quick thing showing it done, not really how to do it.

And. Yes-it's worth the effort to learn it.

Aug 31, 2007
MI, US
Just also going to post Card College 1. I'd recommend picking that up as you can also learn the thumb count from the same book too. Not only that but you'll get a ton more in that book. If you are serious about card magic and have the money, pick up the Card College 5 book series. You won't regret it.

Sep 1, 2007
Houston TX
im on the same side as most of these guys
although it seems hard at first to do it
with practice it is much more fluid than any other setup for a multiple lift (in my opinion)

sometimes i fool myself with a pinky count (i mind thinks its only one card)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results