The LePaul Spread is awesome.

With my early flourishing experiance coming from Xtreme Beginners my first ever knowledge of the LePaul spread was with Jerry Cestowski talking about how horrible it was in the Fanning special. I'm glad I made up my own mind because I personally really enjoy doing the LePaul spread, and it seems far more versatile than his 'spreading the cards' method. My problem was that his main reason for hating the spread was that it crushed the cards, which while true during practice, when performing, once you have it down pat, the spread a few times will barely damage the deck.

I personally find my pressure fans bend the deck a lot more than my LePaul spreads, but that's probably because I suck at Pressure fans :p But things like Springs do far more damage to my cards than the LePaul spread does. Does anyone else find the LePaul spread as evil as Jerry makes it out to be? I personally think it's awesome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 22, 2007
I think the LePaul spread is OK, especially when you have a deck that can't spread well. I don't know how Jerry can do pressure fans and not have the deck bend too much and complain about LePaul spread, but he's still cool. The LePaul spread is definetly something you should know, espeially if you do magic by borrowing 2 year old decks that have lost their plastic coating. I mean, you know those clear plastic Bicycle playing cards? They're flexible right out the box, but can't spread? LePaul spread those things, you get a nice spread.

Sep 16, 2007
Orlando, Fl
I love the Lepaul spread. Lepauling a few times doesn't do much damage at all. It just looks awesome too say, "Pick a card" and BAM!, there's a whole spread right in front of the spec to choose from.

Sep 1, 2007
Surrey.U.K
I liked the normal spread until I saw the Lepaul S-spread for the first time and now I can't do it the old way even if I try, I just can't resist adding the extra shape.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm right there with you ampersan I think it looks cool but I sux at it. they either come off in clumps or they machine-gun blast everywhere out of my hands.

oh yeah and it DESTROYS my cards when I try it. so, uh..... dang. :(

Nov 5, 2007
Benicia, CA
Yeah, I love it. Like I said in a seperate thread, I've been watching the S spread on the Trilogy a lot the past couple days. I've only got about 2-3 hours practice under my belt, so I haven't got past the feeling of crushing the deck. I devided to put down my Masters deck.... I mena my Guardian deck ;) and switch to a regular deck of bikes, seeing as they'll be ruined by the time I'm done with them.

Besides the cool visual and quick fluidity of the spread, I love the sound Dan (or is it Dave?) is able to produce. Normaly card handlers want to minimize sound as it gives away the fact that a sleight is being performed. But for this, it's just sick! It sounds like a money counting machine. Phttttt dit dit dit dit dit. I love it!

Sep 1, 2007
lol mr J, I would never harm my precious palmy's in that way ;) I love them too much!

I use the like bicycle decks that are already hashed.

hey fyi I found an ebay link that you can get palmettos' for <$3 a pack, holy crap is right! these are way better than some hyped-up wynns, kiddos. check it OUT

http://www.biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=4262

oh whoops that's not them, that's a clip of people turning themselves into flying squirrels. dang copy/paste cache. lemme find it realy quick:

http://stores.ebay.com/52-and-Jokers_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ0QQftidZ2QQpZ2QQtZkm

BOOM dere it is. okay so let's review: Palmettos, awesome. Wynns, hyped. Palmettos, <$3. Wynns, $5.

hell at this price maybe I could even practice lepaul spreads with em!!! :D

The LePaul Spread is utter stupidity. No offense to LePaul this is probably his worse creation and sad that this move is only one of two moves that gets his name gets into the magic community of today.

In laymen terms:

The LePaud Spread is a hand to hand spread.

That's it. Stop treating it like it's a gem in the world of card manipulation. Why go through the effort and just do REAL fan, you know the one that actually looks like a fan. The LePaul S-fan is just as bad, do REAL S-fans that looks more of an S and uses REAL fans to form the S.

You are well better off perfecting your pressure fan than spending ANY time on learning the LePaul Spread. In the realm of magic there are a few applications as some magicians use the spread to buckle breaks on the bottom of the deck. In the realm of manipulation really doesn't do much. Simply, what the hell do you do after you form the LePaul Spread, can anyone tell me other than, "Pick a card please any card."?

Perfecting your pressure fan grants you to learn spins, twirls, balances, displays, and helps get other fans crisp like the giant fan. You want nice S-fans? Simple learn round twin fans in both hands and you got them.

While were on the topic, Curly Q-move is crap too.

Moves are only as crap as what people make them. :) I will leave you to figure that one out.

Personally, I love this technique; it is rather dynamic and is a nice eye opener to both laypeople and magicians alike. Not only does it have a beautiful formation (when correctly performed) but it is also a great challenge to overcome. I am the type of guy who loves a challenge, and this certainly is -- both in able to get the correct formation but to do it without destroying cards. It is a great feeling once you have accomplished these very things, you can sit back and think to yourself "I feel good. I've put in time and effort to this, and it is absolutely brilliant." The best reward you can get is to have accomplished something you set out to do. What more can you ask for?

As you said, there is little a LePaul Spread can do, but same applies for Fans and other misc moves some of us choose to practice -- such as Anti Faros, Curly Q's and even Pressure Fans. Whilst we're speaking of not-worth-the-practice-moves, then why the hell do we even bother to practice flourishes? Surely there's little you can do apart from, "Hey, check this out"? But the point still stands; we practice this because it is a challenge, and we feel we have accomplished something when able to do it.

Regards,
Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
Uh, I agree with UEZ and I totally disagree with Jordan. That's great if he wants a challenge... he should try doing a lepaul spread right handed then. After he gets that he should learn it behind-the-back. and so on.

The reason that UEZ is correct is something that Jerry covers often on flashcards. too many of these moves focus on the METHOD over the EFFECT. a layman could really care less about the Curly-Q fan, who cares that you made it with only one hand, it's fugly and you could have done a simple one-hand fan for the same effect but it would actually look good.

LePaul spread is emphasizing HOW you made the spread, rather than uhhhh... the actual spread. however, as far as Method/Effect arguement goes, there are some people that can do a really b!tchin Lepaul spread (Jaspas comes to mind) and it does look good.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
The LePaul Spread is utter stupidity. No offense to LePaul this is probably his worse creation and sad that this move is only one of two moves that gets his name gets into the magic community of today.

In laymen terms:

The LePaud Spread is a hand to hand spread.

That's it. Stop treating it like it's a gem in the world of card manipulation. Why go through the effort and just do REAL fan, you know the one that actually looks like a fan. The LePaul S-fan is just as bad, do REAL S-fans that looks more of an S and uses REAL fans to form the S.

You are well better off perfecting your pressure fan than spending ANY time on learning the LePaul Spread. In the realm of magic there are a few applications as some magicians use the spread to buckle breaks on the bottom of the deck. In the realm of manipulation really doesn't do much. Simply, what the hell do you do after you form the LePaul Spread, can anyone tell me other than, "Pick a card please any card."?

Perfecting your pressure fan grants you to learn spins, twirls, balances, displays, and helps get other fans crisp like the giant fan. You want nice S-fans? Simple learn round twin fans in both hands and you got them.

While were on the topic, Curly Q-move is crap too.
That may be right, but like I said if you see how Dan Buck does it(in the TAOM video) it looks friggin awesome and you can't do a normal spread like that. People have different opinions, I find it a neat flourish but not too extraordinary.

I don't see how Curly-Q is crap when it's done with one hand. That's pretty neat. You can't do a normal spread with one hand can you?

Sep 1, 2007
The curly Q is fugly dude. it's not a spread anyways. you can do a simple one-handed fan or a Jerry's right-hand indices fan and it will look really good.

also you can do one-handed fans with bordered cards and it will look nice. You have to do the curly Q with borderless cards like Bees or Palmettos or else it will look like a F*****in****of a****mother*******turducken.

Oct 12, 2007
Jerry talks about the cons of the le-paul spread in his latest show, he makes a few good points but the main one is that bending the deck like in the lepaul spread, basically makes your deck "clicked" meaning it actually clicks when you bend it like for example in pressure fans, so packets could easily bend in different directions, which screws up your armspreads, aerials etc..

Sep 1, 2007
damn i hope webghost gets his website working again so I can DL it.

i frickin HATE it when my deck's "clicked" I didn't know that was the word for it, but it bugs the heck. i get it when i do too much springs.

First about the Curly Q Fan: It's utter crap, because the final product is just ugly no matter how great the deck condition or your technique. PEOPLE WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT METHOD AND NOT THE EFFECT OR DESIRED OUTCOME. Which is why all this talk about LePaul Spreads is stupid to me. Look at pictures of a completed Curly Q fan vs a completed pressure fan. There are differences and some people just love method, people who like learning 20 different deck switches and double lifts.

Moves are only as crap as what people make them. :) I will leave you to figure that one out.

Personally, I love this technique; it is rather dynamic and is a nice eye opener to both laypeople and magicians alike. Not only does it have a beautiful formation (when correctly performed) but it is also a great challenge to overcome. I am the type of guy who loves a challenge, and this certainly is -- both in able to get the correct formation but to do it without destroying cards. It is a great feeling once you have accomplished these very things, you can sit back and think to yourself "I feel good. I've put in time and effort to this, and it is absolutely brilliant." The best reward you can get is to have accomplished something you set out to do. What more can you ask for?

As you said, there is little a LePaul Spread can do, but same applies for Fans and other misc moves some of us choose to practice -- such as Anti Faros, Curly Q's and even Pressure Fans. Whilst we're speaking of not-worth-the-practice-moves, then why the hell do we even bother to practice flourishes? Surely there's little you can do apart from, "Hey, check this out"? But the point still stands; we practice this because it is a challenge, and we feel we have accomplished something when able to do it.

Regards,
Jordan

First, still..... your making it seem more amazing because people are so concerned with method. Trying not to bend the cards is the challenge? Who said that's what we wanted to accomplish in the first place, we wanted a great looking card move to place in our acts who said anything about bending cards.

There is a little a pressure fan can do?

Hmmmm..... lemme recap a little of what the world of card manipulation has brought to the table with both concepts of fanning.

First LePaul Spread:

Standard Lepaul Spread, Lepaul Spread to being held by one-hand, Lepaul Spread S-fan, splitting a Lepaul S-fan into Lepaul twin fans.

As far as I'm concerned this is as much I've seen this concept accomplish.

Now Pressure Fan:

Birdy fan, fan twirl, fan spin, fan arm-roll close, watchspin, pinch close / pinch turnover close, twirl close, circles, and I'll end the list right here.

Now, compare the lists. I was pretty generous with the Lepaul Spread list. Now I could have placed more for the pressure fan but I didn't cause I didn't need to. Not only do the moves for the pressure fan list out number the Lepaul list, every move looks distinct and different and noticeable to laymen. Lepaul list is pretty much milking the dust of Lepaul.

Too many people are concerned with method and that's pretty much all there is to it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results