The Magic of a Wave

May 30, 2008
blue mountains
hey this isn't really a question more that i wanted a new thread in coin magic. recently I've had a epiphany about magical gesture such as a wave (not including wand). before i thought without a wand a wave serves no purpose but man i was wrong. a wave is a serious convincer because it subtly means that the coin in your hand vanished.

Demonstrate to me tomorrow, I wanna see what you're talking about :p

But yeah, I guess a wave signifies in the spectator's mind the point in which the magic occurs. So it's the magic moment and it also creates motivtion for movement. I like the way you think.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
Great point. I had this revelation years ago when I got the raven coin vanish, and more recently with Joe Paschall's Believe. If done correctly, a magic effect that uses a "magical" gesture such as a wave can be extremely powerful. I also like to use similar gestures when performing thread work.

what it also does is makes the audience think you may have done something funny.
when i do my triumph i say how the cards because of density, sort themselves face up and face down. then with a riffle, i do a lil riffle of the cards, they flip over.
now the riffle doesnt do anything, but just because thats what i say and it is a gesture. people think that is what happens.
that is more of a physical move. but a wave is very much like the same thing.
its a gesture that gives the spectator something to take as a reason why somethnig happened. even tho u didnt say it does anything, they take it and will be like. when he waved his hand he did something, or he waved his hands and it magically changed. which is good because it takes the heat off of the move previous to when you waved (the time you actually did something)

do a classic vanish, the audience thinks the coin is in the left hand (I palm with the right) when you wave or blow, the audience thinks that That moment is when the coin dissapeard, not earlyer in the trick.

Jul 8, 2008
Not exactly. You are just trying to dignify the age old concept "A hand in use is a hand that is empty". It;s all the same whether I wave my hand, pick up and object on the table, transfer a coin from hand to hand but using a shuttle pass and picking something up, snapping my fingers etc. It's all the same because you are using the hand. You didn't have an epiphony, just indigestion :D

Not exactly. You are just trying to dignify the age old concept "A hand in use is a hand that is empty". It;s all the same whether I wave my hand, pick up and object on the table, transfer a coin from hand to hand but using a shuttle pass and picking something up, snapping my fingers etc. It's all the same because you are using the hand. You didn't have an epiphony, just indigestion :D
was that to me? or just the general question?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results