The Next Step *Mentalism Recommendation*

Aug 25, 2012
Hey guys I have know my first post about me wanting to learn mentalism started started some fights, and that post was a long time ago. I have come back with a new approach I have been studying mentalism for about 8 months now and I feel like i'm ready to take the next step. From attending local lectures, to purchasing lectures from some such as: Peter Turner, Colin Mcleod and a few others as well as slowly going through 13 steps and learning a lot. I wanted to ask for some more books or lectures I have a few Bob Cassidy PDF's and I can say that the name/place routine from him is absolutely killer. I'm not ready to take on any Derren Brown, but I am ready to take the next step so and other lectures or books, I would love some insight.

Thanks,
Brandon

Sep 1, 2007
Peter Turner's work is likely a little advanced for you. Heck, a lot of "working mentalists" think his stuff is just theory. Which is why that was in quotes- they're magicians who try to do "mentalism" in their shows, not so much working mentalists.

Anyway, check out Richard Osterlind's dvd sets, he's got some great material and you can adapt the methods to your style, like did for his.

Aug 25, 2012
I 100% agree, although the content taught is truly amazing and even though it is advanced I wanted to check it out he is a great performer and his psychological methods and jus this general methods are something that any mentalist shouldn't pass up. On another note Colin Mcleod is a great mentalist even for the beginner I have most of his method down pact. I thank you for your opinion, I have the 13 steps dvd by osterlind and 1 or 2 pdf's but his teaching on dvd just isn't my style.

Sep 1, 2007
Right, he's not totally mine either. Something you're going to learn to do in both magic and mentalism is to filter the methods/effect/presentation and separate them, then consider them on their own.

This is normally much easier if you're learning from books, but it's possible with DVDs.

If you haven't read the book "Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber, then it might be the next step for you. Like Osterlind, much of mentalism's perception and presentation comes from the performer. Beginning to develop yourself as a performer might be the next step in finding where to move after the basics.

Once you develop who you are and how the audience perceives you, scripts become easier to write and routines that fit you will stand out. That's what I've found, at least.

Apr 20, 2013
Right now, I'm still studying Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism. I bought the book rather than DVDs since it taught with a little bit more detail and we can interpret it with our own perception.
I myself was more on doing "Mental Magic" rather than going "Full Mentalism".
If you want to follow my steps however, I would discard everything else except for the 13 Steps and Max Maven's PDFs and DVDs.
Those are still my "study material" right now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results