The Pass in the ACR

Oct 6, 2007
Does anyone encorporate the pass in their ACR?

If so, which pass?

And lastly what is the procedure of you excetuting it?

I use the turnover pass only because it is the ony one i feeel comfortable with. I sghow that their card is in the middle, and then i turn my back to the audience and hold the cards high in the air (same height as my shoulder). The audiece can see the backs of the cards as i excetute the tuernover pass. Then, i turn the cards around and add patter, finally showing the car back on top..

My problem is that this is very angle sensitive, so if anyone ahs some good ideas or advice, please tell me!

Thanks@

Sep 1, 2007
austria
for me it always depends on a couple of things: how confident do i feel, how does the audience respond and behave.

so if there are 5 or less spectators (which is almost always the case when i perform my magic, because i don't like big crowds, not only because they are harder to control and you have to watch your angles more, but i like to make my magic a more intimate experience which isn't possible with alot of people) i can recommend the pass, but only if you feel confident and the spectators are not burning your hands every second. the pass is a very strange thing when you start doing it: when i started doing it, i tried it out on my close friends and family, i got caught a couple of times although my pass wasn't that bad, but when i became more confident with it, i sometimes had to laugh or at least smile during the performance because i couldn't believe what you can get away with when you do it with confidence and add a little misdirection.
anyway, as i said above, for me it depends alot on who my spectators are, i even had some performances where i used the pass for almost every trick i did, also those where you can just do some cuts or something else, just because it worked so smooth and the spectators were freaked out when i did those tricks, although they all had the pass as the basic sleight.
so yeah, the pass is not the safest move to do, but you have to use it at least every now and then (after you've practiced alot of course;-)) and i'm sure you will become more confident and enjoy using it.
one last tip i can give you, because that's what i used to do wrong at first, is you have to be relaxed and act natural while you talk, and when you're about to execute the pass you need to get the focus off the deck and break the tension a little bit, i usually make a short joke or just say something that fits the situation and what's more important is while i do that i look at the spectators and make a very open gesture with my hands, that usually gets them to relax and take their eyes off the deck, because when you always hold it with both hands that makes you look a bit stiff and they think there's something going to happen so they watch closely, but if you spread your arms and just say a sentence or two and then bring your hands together, execute the pass and afterwards say something like "ok, but let's focus on the trick again" they will never know you actually did something.
probably some people here won't like my method, because it takes the focus completely off the deck and it sometimes hasn't that "oh my god, i was watching the whole time, he didn't do anything" effect, but i'm willing to make this sacrifice until my pass is fast and invisible enough so i can do it right in front of their eyes and they just don't see it.
by the way i usually only use the classic pass, only on very special occasions the dribble pass, and i'm working on the turnover and hermann pass.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Hmm, in an ACR? I use the pass maybe 3-5 times at MOST.

The Riffle Pass is fantastic for a visual card coming to the top if you don't feel in the right situation for the pop-up move for some reason.

I would definitely use Aaron's handling of the out-jogged Herman pass somewhere towards the beginning to get them used to the different way I handle the cards than they might normally see.

I quite like the turnover pass, but I prefer Earnest Earick's handling of the turnover pass, I feel it comes to me more naturally than any other. For those of you who own his book 'By Forces Unseen' it can be found on p113-115 with illustrations.

That's just my thoughts on the Pass in an ACR routine. :)

- Sean

I definitly use a turnover pass and two riffle pases, every time I do this trick. If you have the technique down you might as well use it.

But my question is why are you turning your back to the audience? You should be able to execute a turnover pass without having to move your body at all. Just your hands. I think anytime the magician turns his back they would definitly think somethings up...

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
i only ever use it at the end, before a pop up move. i use the riffle but i mainly use misdirection, as although its a popular myth you need to have a lightning fast pass to execute it before an audience, as long as its smooth and used with misdirection, it can be done surprisingly slowly. do not make a move out of it and you will be fine. but if the spec. is burning my hands, i leave it out, finish the ACR and do an angle proof trick after....

Sep 1, 2007
UK
I use the cover pass, it's normally my first move. In my opinion, it is the one of the fairest looking controls around, very invisible and very open, and it perfectly sets you up for a DL to use later.

I haven't had an ACR with any other kind of pass for a long time.

Huruey

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
I'm passin' all over the place.

first is invisible pass
second, riffle pass
third, classic pass with card face up
fourth, turn over pass
fifth, fake pass as an explanation of why their card comes to the top.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
for me it always depends on a couple of things: how confident do i feel, how does the audience respond and behave.

so if there are 5 or less spectators (which is almost always the case when i perform my magic, because i don't like big crowds, not only because they are harder to control and you have to watch your angles more, but i like to make my magic a more intimate experience which isn't possible with alot of people) i can recommend the pass, but only if you feel confident and the spectators are not burning your hands every second. the pass is a very strange thing when you start doing it: when i started doing it, i tried it out on my close friends and family, i got caught a couple of times although my pass wasn't that bad, but when i became more confident with it, i sometimes had to laugh or at least smile during the performance because i couldn't believe what you can get away with when you do it with confidence and add a little misdirection.
anyway, as i said above, for me it depends alot on who my spectators are, i even had some performances where i used the pass for almost every trick i did, also those where you can just do some cuts or something else, just because it worked so smooth and the spectators were freaked out when i did those tricks, although they all had the pass as the basic sleight.
so yeah, the pass is not the safest move to do, but you have to use it at least every now and then (after you've practiced alot of course;-)) and i'm sure you will become more confident and enjoy using it.
one last tip i can give you, because that's what i used to do wrong at first, is you have to be relaxed and act natural while you talk, and when you're about to execute the pass you need to get the focus off the deck and break the tension a little bit, i usually make a short joke or just say something that fits the situation and what's more important is while i do that i look at the spectators and make a very open gesture with my hands, that usually gets them to relax and take their eyes off the deck, because when you always hold it with both hands that makes you look a bit stiff and they think there's something going to happen so they watch closely, but if you spread your arms and just say a sentence or two and then bring your hands together, execute the pass and afterwards say something like "ok, but let's focus on the trick again" they will never know you actually did something.
probably some people here won't like my method, because it takes the focus completely off the deck and it sometimes hasn't that "oh my god, i was watching the whole time, he didn't do anything" effect, but i'm willing to make this sacrifice until my pass is fast and invisible enough so i can do it right in front of their eyes and they just don't see it.
by the way i usually only use the classic pass, only on very special occasions the dribble pass, and i'm working on the turnover and hermann pass.
there u go man ;)

Sep 2, 2007
I use the hermann pass. and if I'm ever caught. just do a quick false cut and there you go.

Nov 6, 2007
When I want to show their card visually riding to the top, I use a riffle pass. When I secretly control their card I use a dribble pass. Sometime's I'll throw in a modified hermann pass, depending on what angles I'm dealing with.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
No, I do not, simply because I think a DL looks just as fair, and is a whole lot easier. Plus there's the fact that my Pass sucks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results