The Pass

Aug 31, 2007
My House
Hello there everybody

This is my first Thread on T11 and I wanted to start a discussion about one of the most difficult sleights to preform "The Pass"

When do you use the pass?
In what situation do you preform the pass?
Do you think to learn the pass is nessesary? (e.x why not just use a double lift)
Who do you use the pass for? (what kind of people)
And finally where do you use it in your routines?

Have fun

Peace Out

Sep 1, 2007
Hello there everybody

This is my first Thread on T11 and I wanted to start a discussion about one of the most difficult sleights to preform "The Pass"

Do you think to learn the pass is nessesary? (e.x why not just use a double lift)

Have fun

Peace Out

The Pass has prettymuch become my bread and butter card control move, more specifically, the invisible pass. I probably shouldn't rely on is as much as I do, but it fools my spectators and is easy for me to do.

Aug 31, 2007
Michigan
I know card cheats use it to get some cards back to the top so they can manipulate them so they get a Royal Flush or 21. If you put the card face up on the face down deck you can do visual transports.

Well that is all I know, besides some ambitious cards. I saw this guy on YT do an amazing one handed ambitious card routine using passes 'n stuff.

To answer in order:
1) I use the pass when a pass is the right sleight to use.
2) I use the pass more in standup situations where I have a group standing around me than I do with folks seated. I feel more comfortable with it in this context.
3) Yes, the pass is necessary to learn, even though you may not want to. It's a move that teaches you a lot about finesse, attention control, and pure balls in performance. How many card moves can claim the same?
4) Everyone
5) I use the sleight when appropriate. If I'm demonstrating card control, a pass makes no sense because essentially nothing happened. If I'm supposed to have the card lost in the center of the deck but secretly controlled somewhere else, then the pass is the right move because it gives the illusion of the card being exactly where it should be.

I'm no expert on the pass, but I do like the move. Actually, Aaron Fisher's workshop on the move helped me immensely. Maybe he'll have something to say through Theory11?

P.

Hello there everybody

Have fun

Peace Out

Any time I just need to controll a card. Especially if i"m undr scrutiny.
Any situation.
You could find alternatives but its so much easier to just do a pass.
To controll a card from the middle to top, middle to bottom, top to middle, bottom to middle, from the top directly to the bottom or the other way around. I also use the pass to create the illusion of the sudden appearance or vanish of a card on the top of the deck (face up, naturally). The variation I use as a controll also make a great color change. Also, if the situation allows you to hold a break for a while, you can use it as a great switch for large or small stacks of cards.

I use it anywhere I need to do anything I mentioned above.

I'd also like to correct your initial statement: Performing The pass is not hard in the slightest. It is the learning of the pass properly that gives people the most trouble. Its not the kind of thing that you put everything aside until you get it down for.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
Hello there everybody

Have fun

Peace Out

First off Welcome to the forums, I use the pass either to get a card to the top, I think that should be a given though. I perform an invisible pass when a spectator is watching really closely, or if they're looking at my eyes then I just use a regular pass. I wouldn't say learning the pass is nessesary, I mean there are a ways around it, some may disagree, but it is a very versitile and pretty easy tool to use, a double lift sometimes won't cut it for instance a pass can be used to make the illusion of cutting a chosen card to the top instead of doing a double undercut. For the 4th question, I personally use it on anyone, It is definetly easier using on people who watch your eyes when you talk to them, but not all people do that, so for those people I use an invisible pass. In routines, I'd say I use them not as much as possible because I am a fan of the double undercut, but its easy to use even in an ACR just make it invisible.

good luck

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
I use the pass when I feel it is appropriate.

Which translates - not much. I use it for 1-3 routines. Tops. I don't like it in my Ambitious Card routine and I don't like to do it seated. For Seated performances there are a heap of other passes (Half Pass etc.) that work much more effectively.

Try the side steal guys! I've been wokring on it for a bit and it's such a great utility.

Ty

The Pass is kind of strange... It's always preference but I believe the Pass is, for me at least, for people in the amount of 1-3. I feel like a simple double lift of double undercut is just as efficient, depending on your routine. I use it mostly on people over 5'3". I dunno, it's just easier for people new to magic. I do NOT think the Pass is something you have to learn, but if you can get a good Pass down, then, great, you'll have it easy learning other deceptive moves. If you can't, great, it's a chance to learn other forms of control. The only times I use the Pass is of course in the 1-3 people groups, and I have a separate ACR for that size of group, which builds differently. I start with Shuffling, move to Double Uncercutting, then use the Pass, then use the One Handed Pass... I dunno... I think. I was starting to rework it so it went something like that.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't understand why people put out effects that require the effect to control one card, (Nacho Mama, etc.). Like Ammar said, it's tackling a fly problem with a sledgehammer.

I'll stick with Slydini and say I'll use the pass when no one's looking.
I now kindly refer you all to Gary Kurtz's "Misdirection and Direction."

Have a good one

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
Don't use the pass at all for controlling the card to the top... its soo suspicous and there are other things that are better that require less practice.

I'm going to assume you're talking about a regular pass and not an invisible pass, otherwise how would it be soo suspicious?? ya there are a lot of easier ways such as the double undercut but people that are watching close can see, where the card is and either tell you its the top card or the bottom card. if you don't want that then use an invisible pass.

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
Hello there everybody

I won't say that it is NESSESARY; but learning more sleights is always better.

However, if someone has not even learned any other simpler ways to control one card (let's say, a beginner), then i don't really see the point of wasting (okay, maybe "wasting" is not the right word....) that much time just to master one sleight while u can learn several controls.

if you are not a beginner, and you have already learned a few controls, then why not learning the pass?

Aug 31, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
i have only recently started performing the pass in performance i don't think it is needed but just adds another way to control. If not mastered perfectly the pass shouldn't be used if a spec sees just a quick flash they suspect but if you do the double undercut they have no idea its a control. The pass is okay but until someone comes up with a completely invisible pass (never) it won't be my favourite control

Sep 1, 2007
I usually do the Classic Pass. I takes a lot more practice then most of the passes out there, but the results are astounding.

-Brundo

I think the one, big advantage of the pass is that it allows you to control a card (as said before : middle to top, middle to bottom, etc...) or a group of cards (which I'm not sure is possible with the side steal) in a split second, while appearing to do nothing at all. It's as simple as that.

Let me tell you how I discovered that I really needed to learn the pass : there's an effect in DGP1 called "Satisfaction garanteed", a great all back routine. The moment that really sells the effect and make people truely believe that indeed, there are just double backers in the deck, is when you put their card in the middle, just a snap of the fingers and boom, it's on top. That's when people say "okay, not impressive at all as there are all the same". In the explanation, DG says that you can also double undercut the card, but to me it doesn't sell as well the illusion, because they can think it MIGHT be the same card as you cut the deck a couple of times. With the pass, they clearly see their card in the middle, and then you turn the top card immediatly, so it CAN'T be theirs. It's soooo much more magical !

I knew that the side steal would allow me to do that, but as the pass has more applications, allows you to control multiple cards and can be made invisible (no matter what people say), I went or it...and I use it all the time, it's my favorite control ! Quick, smooth, invisible...What more could you ask for ? The main downside is that I can't perform it well enough while sitting, which can be a big problem if you mostly perform seated at a table.

To finish, the DVD that really allowed me to understand the move, its mechanics and psychology is "Pass with Care", there's in it all you need to know to learn a good, practical pass. (unlike Ninja 1 I must say...). The important thing is not to learn 4 or 5 different passes. Learn well 1 way that you feel comfortable with -maybe 2 with the turnover pass- and you'll be fine !

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results