The PERFECT Opener

Sep 1, 2007
I have 3 card sets I use for walk around, they're just 3 different 3 - 4 phase routines, I have one coin set, one spongeball set and sort of a mentalism-ish set. So, what are you looking for?

I have 3 card sets I use for walk around, they're just 3 different 3 - 4 phase routines, I have one coin set, one spongeball set and sort of a mentalism-ish set. So, what are you looking for?

What no cards? I'm sad... For an opener I usually just do some flourishes to get people interested then I move in to things like poker tells ect. then I move into gambling sleights or I go a reverse direction and start off with mentalism then explain how the mind works better when it's dealing with something it knows inside and out and I do some card mentalist tricks after my flourishing.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
What do you guys use as an opener for walk-around magic?

To get the reactions going to build a larger crowd, I used to get a group of 3 at least that looked like they were having a good time. Then, I would proceed to introduce myself and tell them to pick a card, all 3 remember it. Do the card change in the hands with all their hands covering the card getting them involved. That's one of the strongest tricks I do because it's so simple and direct, and it will literally get people screaming. Others will take note of that and start to come closer to see what's going on.

If some people come over after the trick is over, I would ask "Did you see that? Here, let me try it again, pick a card..." then go into another trick that you didn't do the first time. Get everyone involved, give everyone attention, and don't "break the threads" (Five Points in Magic - Tamariz). Usually a 2-3 Phase ACR, Card change in the hands, and Biddle (Anything simple and direct magic). This will keep everyone's attention and keep it at a nice pace.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Usually If I'm out with the intention of doing some street magic, I'll have Loops on me and make a rubberband levitate. People will usually come over and draw a crowd.

If the situation just comes up, I'll probably just do CMH or something like that. I don't usually like to start with a card trick.

Sep 1, 2007
What no cards? I'm sad... For an opener I usually just do some flourishes to get people interested then I move in to things like poker tells ect. then I move into gambling sleights or I go a reverse direction and start off with mentalism then explain how the mind works better when it's dealing with something it knows inside and out and I do some card mentalist tricks after my flourishing.

no I do use cards, I have an ACR set, a 4 ace set, and a sandwhich routine set, I'm also working on another one but it's more like a bunch of effects rather than a complete set.

Nov 19, 2010
my ACR the biddle trick or what i highly recommend patrick kun's vector always get a little jump and a scream out of them

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results