The Pros & Cons of Magic on Camera

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
Hey Guys,
First I would like to take this oppurtunity to wish each & everyone of you a verry Happy New Year.

This is something ive been meaning to post here for a while but kept forgetting

I wanted to know from all of you your opinion on Performing magic on camera.

Do you find it easier doing a trick on camera or live in front of a real person?

What according to you are the Advantages & Dis-advantages of performing magic on camera?

Please answer these questions and feel free to share anything else related to this subject.Im looking forward to your replies

Thanks

- Jenai

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
If you aren't using any tricky editing then the answer is simple...
You cannot misdirect a camera lens.

But if the sole purpose of performing in front of a camera is for your own personal gain. Meaning, for practice and rehearsal...then a video camera is where it is at!

Mike

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India

But if the sole purpose of performing in front of a camera is for your own personal gain. Meaning, for practice and rehearsal...then a video camera is where it is at!

Mike
Very True but i dont think you can use camera cuts & stuff atleast i dont come across much of that on youtube nowadays. There are some people who do it but take down the video because of tons of negative comments (serves them right :p)

Sep 3, 2007
Hey Guys,
First I would like to take this oppurtunity to wish each & everyone of you a verry Happy New Year.

This is something ive been meaning to post here for a while but kept forgetting

I wanted to know from all of you your opinion on Performing magic on camera.

Do you find it easier doing a trick on camera or live in front of a real person?

What according to you are the Advantages & Dis-advantages of performing magic on camera?

Please answer these questions and feel free to share anything else related to this subject.Im looking forward to your replies

Thanks

- Jenai

Besides my mean post I have something to say about this. Video is good to practice. Until you think video is just another form of media.

Sep 3, 2007
Very True but i dont think you can use camera cuts & stuff atleast i dont come across much of that on youtube nowadays. There are some people who do it but take down the video because of tons of negative comments (serves them right :p)

Unfortunately, I attended school. So, I don't think you can use camera cuts &stuff. But given the chance you could possibly use camera cuts and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks. Or, just bend over. That's the way I see it.

Sep 3, 2007

Mike

I almost don't believe you man. The last time I practiced in front of video my entire life was divulged by some hack.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
well performing for real people for me is SO MUCH easier than to perform in front of a camera, in front of people , you can make use of misdirection , something crucial you cannot achieve in front of a camera.

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
well performing for real people for me is SO MUCH easier than to perform in front of a camera, in front of people , you can make use of misdirection , something crucial you cannot achieve in front of a camera.
Thats what I think but some people find magic on camera easier because you can adjust the angle for angle sensitive moves (venus trap,elevator etc)

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Oh, and I guess most importantly, people pay you $ for your magic...

As far as I know, cameras do not. But it is 2010 now...ANYTHING is possible :)

Mike

Sep 3, 2007
Oh, and I guess most importantly, people pay you $ for your magic...

As far as I know, cameras do not. But it is 2010 now...ANYTHING is possible :)

Mike

Holy crap? If I would have known you can make $ from magic maybe I would have used it as a career decision.

Jun 22, 2009
Perform Live. Use camera's to identify bad angles. Camera's dont have jaws that drop and go "what the...." so there really is no satisfaction from it.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
The only reason anyone SHOULD perform solely for a camera is to practice angles on card tricks. And even then I feel its largely useless. Angles with a camera in a fixed position is nothing compared to a real person or group of persons moving around and eyeing everything.By eyeing I dont mean trying to catch you.
The best thing to do is to combine the two.
Live performance caught on tape. You can look back and see how bad you were live and what you need to fix. Most card magicians dont know that that they stutter alot or say "ummm" over and over. With a camera,they can look back and fix all of that next time.
I used to slouch and break eye contact with my audience before I started filming live.
Other things you can catch is the audiences reactions throughout the show. You can learn alot.

Jul 8, 2008

Mike
I'm sorry, but I don't necessarily agree with that. In fact, sometimes misdirection can be easier on camera. I know many people who can misdirect just as well as they can on camera as they can in person and I've been fooled by it very well. If you take a look at a lot of (serious) coin magicians, you can see examples of just how well it works and they don't leave a single hint of anything fishy going on, meanwhile they are loading coins onto spectators, tables, under objects etc. And as long as you keep in motion and not stationary in your little spot on the screen, you can misdirect as well. You just need to know when to relax and when to hit your targets ;)

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I'm sorry, but I don't necessarily agree with that. In fact, sometimes misdirection can be easier on camera. I know many people who can misdirect just as well as they can on camera as they can in person and I've been fooled by it very well. If you take a look at a lot of (serious) coin magicians, you can see examples of just how well it works and they don't leave a single hint of anything fishy going on, meanwhile they are loading coins onto spectators, tables, under objects etc. And as long as you keep in motion and not stationary in your little spot on the screen, you can misdirect as well. You just need to know when to relax and when to hit your targets ;)

What he meant was you that the camera is going to catch the fishy movements.
The camera always catches. Ive watched many great proffesional magicians perform solely for camera and the "methods" or sleights are caught on tape.
Granted,a PERSON might not catch it the first time they watch a video of it. But its there on the camera. If you look again you will see it.

Dec 27, 2009
The use of misdirection is a crucial facet in magic that can be almost impossible to achieve under the use of a camera.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results