The Ripper; Performance

Dec 18, 2009
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my performance of Lee Asher's four card production that he calls The RIPPER. Link removed. Still working on it.
A double backed card is split into the four aces. By the way, this is not gimmicked or gaffed. It's completely impromptu.

It's something I like to fool around with. Hope you like it.

-Corbin

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I dont know...
The ripper is cool and all... But I dont think you did it quite the justice it deserves. You did it smoothly, but... we can all see you have a stack of cards in your hands so I wasn't sure from the laymens point of view what the effect was.
I also dont know how ripper is ever used in real life other than an offbeat thing.

Dec 18, 2009
I dont know...
The ripper is cool and all... But I dont think you did it quite the justice it deserves. You did it smoothly, but... we can all see you have a stack of cards in your hands so I wasn't sure from the laymens point of view what the effect was.
I also dont know how ripper is ever used in real life other than an offbeat thing.

Well, if I'm in a rush I just use this as a "quick trick" if I get asked to perform. And yeah I'm still working on keeping the packet square. I can see how you think it's impractical, though.

Corbin

Jul 14, 2008
Your performance is smooth, no question about that. But, I don't see myself performing the trick because it may look suspicious to the laymen. All in all, great performance.

Dec 18, 2009
Your performance is smooth, no question about that. But, I don't see myself performing the trick because it may look suspicious to the laymen. All in all, great performance.

Thanks man. Usually I don't show the "double backer" as much as I did in the video. But, I see what you mean.

Jul 13, 2008
The way you do it looks confusing even from a magicians point of view. It's as if you're saying "Look, I have a packet of cards that I'm not showing you, and if I split them like this, they're aces!" I mean, just out of curiosity, how DO you present this trick? How do the spectators notice that it actually IS a trick and not you taking out random cards and doing cool stuff with them? I really don't see this as a production, but maybe as a flourish. I dunno. I'm indifferent.

Jan 26, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
ok, as others have said, the production was smooth. Here's a couple of tips on keeping the cards together: 1) try to reduce the amount of bend that you put in aces, a large one makes the production easier, however, it also makes the "single" double backer look bulky. 2) Try not to "over handle" the cards; I would suggest a simple show on the front and back (as described in Asher's PDF), then "rip".

Also, while this is only my opinion, I feel that (for laymen anyway) The Ripper works better to introduce the four aces at the beginning of some other effect, rather than stand alone. For an example of this, if you watch the movie Shade The Ripper is used just before a gambling demonstration, where the character (a card mechanic) is asked to show his skill.

Hope that helps with the overall effectiveness of your performance.

Cheers

Dec 18, 2009
ok, as others have said, the production was smooth. Here's a couple of tips on keeping the cards together: 1) try to reduce the amount of bend that you put in aces, a large one makes the production easier, however, it also makes the "single" double backer look bulky. 2) Try not to "over handle" the cards; I would suggest a simple show on the front and back (as described in Asher's PDF), then "rip".

Also, while this is only my opinion, I feel that (for laymen anyway) The Ripper works better to introduce the four aces at the beginning of some other effect, rather than stand alone. For an example of this, if you watch the movie Shade The Ripper is used just before a gambling demonstration, where the character (a card mechanic) is asked to show his skill.

Hope that helps with the overall effectiveness of your performance.

Cheers

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. However I don't find it convenient for before a trick with a four of a kind because it requires a bend. However, it would work well with something like Asher Twist or Twisting the Kings. I'll try to reduce the bend. Thanks for your time everyone.

-Corbin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results