The Smaller Things

Nov 1, 2007
What are some tricks or concepts you apply to magic, that aren't big, but still work? What tiny actions, words, gestures, etc. do you employ to provide a kick to your performance?

An example: it goes without saying, but: silence. When a spectator is reacting, that's your cue to shut up. The less you say, the more THEY have to say, and the more they get to think about and realize the impossibility of what just happened.

Conversation Beforehand
I don't think magicians should launch into effects right away, or even one after another - they should discuss things and talk to their audience, introduce themselves as a person before they do an entertainer. Discuss some areas of popular culture, philosophy, whatever, and then perform a strong effect that has a relation to where the discussion was headed. This way, it's more like a group interview or debate before attention gets thrown back to the magic - then back out to the audience. The reason why, is it's another way to engage the audience: visually with magic, and now with opinions and discourse via discussion. Get everyone involved, keep the topics civil yet deep, and it accompolishes two things: it makes everyone more comfortable, because you're not on some stage showing them things - you're right alongside with them, talking; and it lets them leave feeling they were mentally engaged, not just entertained.

Audience Participation
Again, goes without saying, but the more you involve the audience - their belongings, their thoughts, their actions - the more fun it is for them. Participating and interacting is always more fun than simply watching.

What does everyone else do? I demand you tell me.

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
I think that some little things that help are as follows...

APPEARANCE-
Clean/Neat Hair
Clean/Neat Clothes
Trimmed Finger Nails
Clean Hands

WITH THE MAGIC-
Knowing when to look into the spec's eyes
Knowing when to be quiet
Knowing when to stop with the pick a card tricks

-Brad

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results