The To-Do List

Sep 3, 2007
Kentucky - Temporarily
What is a goal you have achieved as an artist, or aspiring student in the art, thus far in your magical journey?

Do you have a mental list of goals, or visions? Have you achieved or seen any of them? What are they?

|| sean ||

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
Create a character and performance I can truely be comfortable with.

Learn and work on the best effects I can.

Work on my gambling sleights.

That last one is for me.

As far as goals I have achieved, just building my skills and foundations in close-up. I'm forever building, but I feel I have started to get a basic handling style. That and scripting my effects. Getting that down as well ;)

Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Worcester, UK
#1. My Goal is To learn The Art Of Magic.

#2. When i am happy with my standard and knowledge, start perfecting moves that i have come up with during #1.

#3. Share these moves with some knowledable friends,

#4. Progress Futher.

Sep 1, 2007
1. create a preforming style that I am comfortable with
2. create my own tricks and slieghts or modify other to create my own original magic
3. be a well rounded magician who can work well in all fields

Sep 1, 2007
1st and foremost is off course tying to improve and eventually master my sleights and presentation

2nd is hopefully in the future..through my magic i'm able to touch/motivate/change someone else life....positively and magically

Sep 1, 2007
As I'm currently in Iraq with the US Army, I have some time on my hands and my first in my to-do list is complete.. my pass is fantastic! Sitting around with nothing to do and a deck of cards in your hand for 10 hours at a time gave me an advantage that I took.

I'm now working on escapes. They've always interested me since I can remember. Escapes can be used very effectively to get your name out there, especially if you live in a smaller city like I do. Anyone hanging 40 feet from a crane escaping from a straight jacket will bring you some attention, especially local media attention.

I'm also working on more impromptu mental effects. I've only got a few, but they are very powerful for street performances, especially to place between tricks for a deck switch.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
What is a goal you have achieved as an artist, or aspiring student in the art, thus far in your magical journey?

Do you have a mental list of goals, or visions? Have you achieved or seen any of them? What are they?

|| sean ||

As an aspiring student I have been able to learn and perform each effect or sleight I deemed impossible prior to setting my mind to learning the effect or sleight.

My mental list of goals currently

-- keep magic fresh for me personally
-- master, completely master, at least 7-8 total routines
-- get through the remaining stack of magic books in my office

Keeping magic fresh is an ongoing goal that will never expire as far as I can tell. I know enough tricks to make my head spin but knowing how to do something and actually mastering that routine are two very different things in my eyes. I am very close in this goal but I feel it is something that may take a bit longer than I anticipated. I recently switched entirely to books, particularly older books on magic to get out of the 'mainstream' of magic effects. I still have quite a few videos but I find it more refreshing and stimulating to learn from a book.

When I got into magic I had no ambition to be a magician's magician or a professional magician. Magic for me is and always will be a hobby that I am very enthusiastic about. I simply want to do magic, and do it to the best of my ability, for those people who are willing to take the time to enjoy it.

--Jim

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
1. create my own character as a magician
2. make more friends, not only that are magicans but as spectators
3. have fun with what i'm doing

Sep 1, 2007
To-Do:
1. To start doing magic at the childen's hospital, here in town.

2. To buy a couple cases of cards from Costco for the kids and offer to teach them some simple self working tricks.

-To be able to express my art and open doors for others to follow.
-Follow what my dreams where in the beginning of my voyage of magic.
-Become a mark in my community as someone who changed life's.

Just to name a few.

Sep 1, 2007
McAllen, Texas
Must Get Done List

I, personally do not believe in "To-Do Lists". I believe in "Must Get Done Lists".

To-Do List sound like......"If I get around to it I will", or, "It would be nice to do this."

Must Get Done Lists force you to change your thinking and your approach. It places a sense of urgency upon the situation (goal). It can even lead to organization/prioritization of your goals as well.

Anyhoo, my Must Get Done List is:

1) Unpack all my magic (Just bought and moved into a house)
2) Start getting familiar with my props and sleights (haven't performed or practiced for way too long.
3) Start redefining my vision in magic and pursue it.

...That should keep me busy for awhile.

Best wishes,

Sep 1, 2007
McAllen, Texas
Let's all take this thread one step further, if you would like.

1) Get specific. Instead of saying I want to learn sleights...specify which sleights.

2) Set a deadline. Without a deadline, our thoughts we just listed are just mere "wishes". Turn your wishes into dreams and dreams into reality.

Must Get Done:
1) Unpack Magic: This will be completed tomorrow afternoon.
2) Getting Familiar with props and sleights: Just to pickup a deck of cards, a coin... to get the feel of doing sleights again, any sleights. End of December
3) Recreate vision: What is magic to me and how can I convey that to my audience in an entertaining way. End of October.

...4) Start performing for people again and unleash the new me. Re-vamp my single effects, show them independently and then start formulating a routine and then into a short closeup act.

Edit: Forgot to answer the first part.
What have I acheived as an artist: I had the pleasure to be an big influence on another forum a few years ago. Attended the 6 Day Master Class with Jeff McBride 2 years ago. Helped many younger/older magicians grow. Performed for numerous private parties.

Sep 3, 2007
Kentucky - Temporarily
Let's all take this thread one step further, if you would like.

1) Get specific. Instead of saying I want to learn sleights...specify which sleights.

2) Set a deadline. Without a deadline, our thoughts we just listed are just mere "wishes". Turn your wishes into dreams and dreams into reality.

Must Get Done:
1) Unpack Magic: This will be completed tomorrow afternoon.
2) Getting Familiar with props and sleights: Just to pickup a deck of cards, a coin... to get the feel of doing sleights again, any sleights. End of December
3) Recreate vision: What is magic to me and how can I convey that to my audience in an entertaining way. End of October.

...4) Start performing for people again and unleash the new me. Re-vamp my single effects, show them independently and then start formulating a routine and then into a short closeup act.

Edit: Forgot to answer the first part.
What have I acheived as an artist: I had the pleasure to be an big influence on another forum a few years ago. Attended the 6 Day Master Class with Jeff McBride 2 years ago. Helped many younger/older magicians grow. Performed for numerous private parties.

Mike Delbert, one of my early inspirations. It is awesome to hear from you. I'm one of the many youngsters you helped too. Whoo! : )

Anywho, I'll start this baby off.

The Must Get Done List:

• Write out my entire routines, with transitions for both my stage and mentalism show. Rehearse until I'm stricken with depression. Deadline - End of September - Mid October.
  • Get my venue booked and scheduled and handle all the business and advertising so that I'm ready and well-prepared. Deadline -End of September
  • Perform two shows in my hometown before college next year. Book more shows.

For the record, I'm not rushing, this has been in the works for a while and I've worked pretty hard and pretty intensely on it.

What I have achieved as an artist:

I've made great relationships with numerous respectable people and organizations in magic. I've created an effect and had it marketed on DVD. I've studied in Las Vegas at the Extended Master Class and made wonderful friends. I've performed on the Vegas Strip and met many of my childhood magic inspirations such as Lance Burton, Mac King, Criss Angel, etc. And I've created some very secret, very original pieces of magic that will be featured in my show, and hopefully make some heads turn.

|| sean ||

This is a great topic. I've never really thought of a to-do list I just take it day by day. But if I were these would be them.

-Create and market a trick and/or XCM on a DVD
-Make and perform a street routine and be able to include a levitation
-Get a gig at either birthday parties or restaurant etc.

These would be my main goals in magic. But I still have a long way to go.

-RA69

Sep 2, 2007
It's a shame that this was already on page 3 by now.

If you people aren't taking notes... you should be. And to those who have posted to this thread: is this the first time you have ever written down your goals? (Rhetorical question... don't need to answer it).

Outlining, planning, brainstorming, erasing, starting over. These are things you do before you pick up a deck of cards.

Get a pencil, open up MS Word or even Visio and get at it!
  1. Finish work on Shadow Box Illusion
    1. Nearly all parts ordered or on hand
    2. Finish front, back, and 2nd side door
    3. Finish cutting sewing material
    4. Cut canvas floor to length and install
    5. Work out remaining building schedule with engineer.
    6. Plan choreography for assistants
  2. Build choreography for butterfly/snowstorm and Soprano/Alto sequence
  3. Determine stage placement of camera and screen
  4. Determine stage placement of the piano
  5. Finalize routine programs and segues.
  6. Finalize opening & post show music
  7. Record pre-show voice overs
This list is really a lot longer, but it's nice to re-type, re-tool, and re-energize. Thanks, Sean!

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I've created my own nice character, I'm good with people

So my goals are

1. Have fun with it, as it is just a fun/obsession/hobby for me

2. Practice on my mentalism, cloudbusting, Twisted Palm, psychological effects.

3. Work with my flourishes (Master ALL of the trilogy and The System)

4. Get some of the latest items that fancy me :p

Aug 31, 2007
Hey everyone

I'm just browsing around quickly, I'm still on my magic-internet retreat... Thought I'd share my new to-do list, since we're all in the mood.

My new to-do list for magic...

Cards:
Learn the Roadrunner Cull
Perfect the Pass (A constant to-do)

Money:
Perfect Time is Money, by Asi Wind

General:
Perfect my new routine, Elemental Control (Controlling Fire, Ice, Air, Water, and Electricity)
Get a new restaurant job

Good to see all the familiar faces again :)

-Alec Petros

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results