The Write Stuff - Full review

Sep 1, 2007
UK
My full review of 'The Write Stuff'.

Product: The Write Stuff

Creator/performer: Fellow Café' member Tony Iacoviello

Format: Pdf manuscript (also available as an actual manuscript)

Price: $30

Available: http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com

I was very much looking forward to the news that Tony Eye would be sharing another piece of his material with us, with 'Maximum Involvement: Popular Selection' being something I absolutely love, and one of the best purchases I have ever made in this art... and that's in all honesty.
It's safe to say that when I heard that something was forthcoming, I was very happy, and went straight to the PM button to see if I could learn more of what this may be about. What I heard back sounded extremely interesting, and since then I have been anxiously waiting for the time to come when I could hand over the readies.
The time did come... this is The Write Stuff.

The Pdf manuscript:

What you receive, when purchasing the download version, is a 48 page watermarked pdf manuscript. The manuscript has a nice clean unfussy look, and contains coloured pics to go along with the well written explanations.
A well put together manuscript, great work.

The Write Stuff:

I think the best way to explain the kind of things possible is to read the ad, so below I've copy and pasted the ad so that you can better understand what can be accomplished before I go into any more detail.

Ad from it's page at leapinglizardsmagic.com, excluding the praise from other performers...

" Imagine, constructing a picture with elements randomly and freely named by members of the audience, allowing them to change their minds and add addition elements, then revealing that you had previously drawn a similar or even identical picture.

Imagine, performing a non-force, real time mental epic routine with a piece of paper, index card, notepad, whiteboard, blackboard, or nearly anything that can be written on, it could even be borrowed.

Imagine, reading minds or predicting names, words, pictures, nearly anything that can be named up close, or on stage.

Imagine, not needing anything “special” to perform these feats.

Stop imagining!

Tony Eye’s “The Write Stuff” provides you with the tools to do this, and more."

So their you have it, as you can see, this sounds like a very promising and exciting release... I can see many performers interested and wanting to learn of, and utilize this material.

My thoughts:

I may aswell come straight out and say that this is absolutely brilliant, it really is, and is something I am glad to have with me from now on. Their is lots of material I love, loads I find interesting and enjoy, and tons that I like... but only a few things have come along that I will actually use for anything other than a passing moment, and I have no doubt that this will become one of them.
You can do drawing duplications, predictions and other such things without the need for IMP devices, switches, peeks, forces, special devices, pre-show, luck, one ahead etc... this really does open up a whole realm of possibilities as far as this kind of work is concerned.
Their is something extra needed, but trust me, this is something you will all have already, and if not, can be found with no trouble what so ever.
Oh, not only can you utilize this technique on paper and card etc... but white boards/chalk boards and the like.
Angles are pretty much sorted, as in very very good. The angles will alter depending on the routine/effect, but the actual technique itself (the secret) has no real angle problems, though as said, this will alter depending on the way you're using it.

Inside are also a couple of routines that are fully covered, and though the main thing your gaining is the technique, these pieces are a very good example of just how useful and brilliant this is.
One routine is presented as automatic writing, and allows for a bunch of freely thought of things to have been predicted... no o** a***d or anything of the like.
The other is a force free mental epic.
Both pieces are great and will allow you to see how effective this technique is.
Also covered is a variety of ideas on other routines/effects... these are to get your creative juices flowing and to give you some things you can begin working on etc.

Difficulty:

I really don't like commenting on difficulty, as I don't consider it to be something that should effect whether or not you go into something. If you want to learn something and are dedicated and determined, anyone can learn.
That being said, this is a very easy technique to pick up on and learn, and I see no problems arising with anyone who wishes to learn this... infact it's dead easy to get down, and with a little practice you'll be well on your way (even so, remember to practice until it becomes second nature).

Pros:

I think all the above pretty much sums this up, from just how usable and workable this technique is, to the angles, ease of use and of learning, the... you get the point.

Cons:

Well... I guess... hmmmm... maybe... you see... I think... nope, I'm drawing blank. Oh I know... wait, it has to be to do with this release doesn't it... then nevermind.

Their is one thing I should mention, though I don't consider this to be something that takes away from this piece, but you don't end instantly clean... clean-up can be done in no time at all, and nothing is suspect anyway, but to make sure this review is thorough I thought I should mention it. I know this could be listed under cons, but I didn't want to so

Final thoughts:

Though effects/routines are included inside, this is not simply a new one of those... this is so much more, something that is used to enable those, something you'll learn and have in mind always, something special.

Overall:

Amazing, I'd recommend this in a heart beat, go pick it up, you'll be happy you did.

PS: If you don't already have 'Maximum Involvement: Popular Selection' then quickly run, run as fast as you can... or type... and go to leapinglizardsmagic.com where you can pick it up along with 'The Write Stuff'.

PSS: I wanted to let it be known that I am impressed with the service of leapinglizards, I will definitely be using them again, they seem to be a great company.
Excellent stuff.

PSSS: Your still here... go... make haste...'The Write Stuff' awaits.

Cheers.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Another nice review, am I right in thinking this would more or less be either a stage or seated at a table to an audience type effects? In what context would you personally perform these effects, and out of curiosity, how original is the concept?

Sep 25, 2008
Nice review i read somewhere that popular selection is not for beginners ... Is this true?? Ive never really got into mind tricks but this sounds awsome..
So if you were a beginner which would you get the Write Stuff or Popular Selection

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Hmmm, well when it comes to which i'd recommend, it's hard to say as both are very different things.
Popular Selection is something I utilize a lot, and have gotten a lot out of it, where as 'The Write Stuff' has not had as much use, but is a fantastic technique that I am very happy I know.
Both are things I highly recommend without hesitation.

As for difficulty... if you heard it was more for advanced performers, well they are def not talking about the mechanics/workings etc as that side of things is easily within the grasp of all.
I don't really believe their are things for specific levels of performers, I mean if you want something enough and have the dedication and drive to make it happen then everything is achievable by all, it'll just take more work for some than others.
I also find it hard to judge the difficulty of mentalism as often it's not the actual workings that are difficult.

Get which ever one sounds the most appealing to you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results