Theory in Magic

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
There was a thread in the product questions section titled "Should I even get Royal Road to Card Magic". Towards the end of that thread, SplitHeavens asked a question about what exactly magic theory is. The thread is at

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=17416&page=3

I gave an answer that was almost off the top of my head but I think this is something that should be discussed more. I'll first give my answer below

<Copied from the other thread>

The whole idea of magic theory is something that can get confusing. If you expect magic theory to be like a scientific theory, you might be disappointed because many aspects of magic (from the performance to the spectator reactions) are very subjective. Anyway, I'm not going to get into what makes a theory scientific as that is a whole other ball game.

When I think of magic theory, I usually think of the following things

1) It should provide a model that enables you to abstract the problem(s) you face as a performer.

2) It should provide you with broad concepts that are applicable in a variety of situations and are aimed at answering some fundamental questions. E.g., Questions about the purpose of magic and how to achieve it.

3) It should be about more than just moves/mechanics. From what I have seen, it is more about understanding the rules of the game i.e., the way things are set up between you the performer and the audience than about the mechanics/specific details of sleights.

For example, a lot of stuff written about misdirection would fall under the category of magic theory. Also, essays that talk about the essential aspects of magic, like Paul Harris' essay on astonishment as a natural state of mind is also in this category.

Edit: You can read Paul Harris' essay here and see if it makes sense to you.

http://www.bunnyboycollective.com/the-magic-way/astonishment.html

Sometimes people wonder if thinking about such things has any value at all within magic. I guess it is upto the individual to decide.

<End>

I'm sure some people might disagree about what magic theory is or what it is supposed to do. I hope you will share your thoughts on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 9, 2009
Reno, NV
^_^
I was actually meaning to make a different topic with this subject before I decided to just stick it on my old thread. So thank you for making this topic, XD.

The couple replies that I recieved on my thread made it actually more confusing for me to understand, haha.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results