theory11 MEGA UPDATE : Battle System

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
Good morning most of you. The thread title probably ruined the surprise but... today we're launching our brand-spanking new, fully automated, (dare I say revolutionary?) BATTLE SYSTEM.

The concept of battling each other has been around before, but it's never come to this advanced, technical level. I first drafted up the idea for this entire system about 2 years ago, and it's sat in the incubator. I've then slaved over programming and designing the entire thing, with help from JB. We are very proud to offer you what we have.

It might be a bit blank at the time of this post, but that's because nobody has started a battle yet. Will you be the first? Create a battle now. Trust us, it looks pretty cool when you're battling, receiving challenges, and other people are battling too.

How does it work?

The deal is, people battle each other on an agreed deadline and set of rules. The challenger creates a battle giving it a title, a length (# of days you have to submit a video after the battle begins), and a set of rules (free style? a certain category of cardistry? a specific effect in magic?), and yes.. you can battle in either magic or cardistry.

Who has the best live performance of a magic trick?
Who has the best live cardistry performance hanging upsidedown with one foot with firecrackers going off in their pants?

Yes, I have had little sleep.

When you send a challenge to somebody it shows up in the top right of the main battle arena, and they can either accept or decline the challenge.

Leaderboard?

The whole leaderboard system is fully automated. You are awarded points when you win a battle based on your current score and your opponent's current score. The higher your opponent's score is compared to yours, the more points you win. But if your opponent's score is lower than yours and you lose, you'll also lose more points.

In the terribly unlikely event of a tie, you will both receive a handful of points (still proportional to your opponent's score).

But if I need to change the deadline?

Yup, we have a "propose new deadline" feature once you've already accepted the battle. Because you've accepted the battle rules, you can't skimp out. But you can propose a new deadline and see if your opponent is accommodating. If you both want to skip on the battle, you can both just not submit a video. If you're in an emergency, you can try contacting us with the ticket system.

If you've both submitted a video, you can propose the deadline anytime you want (even 30 seconds in the future), however if one of you haven't submitted a video you can't propose a deadline that's less than 1 day from then.

How do I submit a video?

Due to the fully automated nature of the system, we will only accept videos from public video sharing sites. You can choose your carrier of choice, as long as it's either Vimeo, Google Video, YouTube, or MetaCafe ;)

If you really want to use a different public sharing site, plead your case to our ticket system and we'll consider it. It's not too hard to add new video providers to the system (I just have to get back from Europe first).

What if I don't submit a video by the deadline?

If you don't submit a video by the deadline, but your opponent does, you automatically lose the battle.

How do you win?

Once your battle deadline hits, voting opens to the community for 1 week. After the end of that week, whoever has the most votes wins.

More...

This is just the beginning of the battle system of course, and we have a great big TODO list on how to improve it. However I'll be in Europe for 3 weeks (leaving tomorrow... so hopefully things don't go TOO wrong, haha).

PROBLEMS?

Until about 4pm eastern today, reply to this topic and I'll address the issue as fast as possible.

Otherwise, use the "Contact Us" link at the top of the page. I would love to help you out but unfortunately for the next 25 days I'll be in Europe with limited internet access. Otherwise, when I'm back I'll be working on updates and the like to improve the experience. So hopefully nothing goes too terribly wrong! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
I have to applaud you. I haven't been around too long, so this is a rather "out-of-the-blue" surprise, although a very nice one. :)

Question:
How does Person A 'beat' Person B? Do other members rank the video(s), and the higher rating wins?

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
Question:
How does Person A 'beat' Person B? Do other members rank the video(s), and the higher rating wins?

Ha.. very important issue I forgot to address. After testing and working on this for so long I forget nobody else has been staring at this for so long.

Yes, once your battle deadline hits, your battle will be announced in the headlines and will be voted on by the community. Voting lasts for a week, and whoever has the highest score at the end of the week wins the battle.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Aside from this thread, where's the link to get to said arena?

Will there be something added within the media section?

I had a quick look but didn't see anything... Maybe I've just been staring at this screen for too long and my retinas have been burnt beyond recgonition of anything other that iTunes and Myspace...

..And of course that terribly important research I've been working uber hard on, naturally...

Cheers,

D.

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
Aside from this thread, where's the link to get to said arena?

Will there be something added within the media section?

There is a small link in the media section. Near the top... probably not too obvious I'd agree, but our lead designer is coming back from vacation as I'm leaving for mine, and I think he will be trying to spruce things up a bit, including HOPEFULLY a better link to the battle system.

I still don't get it... who judges which video is better? What do you win?

All should be outlined in the long first post.

The community votes.

You win points, boosting your score and rank on the leaderboard, and the experience of challenging yourself and somebody else to do the best you can in video. It's a pretty good motivating factor to do your very best.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
I love it :), I wonder if you can see who voted for you or for the opponent? I mean can we see the names of the people that voted and the person they selected? I hope the artists vote too... ;)

Now if you are being harsh with someone then battle :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Hey Guys,
Just wondering if you can release an open challenge? Or do you have to challenge someone specifically.
Thanks.

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
Hey Guys,
Just wondering if you can release an open challenge? Or do you have to challenge someone specifically.
Thanks.

Right now, no. We wanted people to take the initiative to find somebody and send out a friendly challenge. However, it's something that we were considering in the original plan and MAY do once I get back.

Sep 1, 2007
Right now, no. We wanted people to take the initiative to find somebody and send out a friendly challenge. However, it's something that we were considering in the original plan and MAY do once I get back.

How about if we had a challenge thread, and then we could comment in the thread saying: "Does anyone want a battle in which we ____" and then if someone replies it would be easier to organise?

D

Deleted member 2755

This sounds fun! :D For a while I think I'll just watch some battles take place. However, maybe I'll make a challenge to someone in the near future. ;) This is pretty cool Richard.

I also think this can be used as motivation to get out there and perform. This can possibly motivate one by:

1. Is someone being lazy with practicing? ;) First person to get certain flourishes down the fastest and smoothest wins. (Motivation to practice...)

2. Never perform for random people before? Create a video of yourself going out and performing for random people.

This is a really cool feature and I look forward to seeing how people take advantage of it.

-Doug

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results