theory11 roundtable discussion - Dan and Dave Buck

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Tonight is Saturday, which means that yesterday was Friday, October 17th - which also happens to have been the release date of the long awaited Smoke & Mirrors : Special Edition. Therefore, it was only appropriate for tonight to hold a roundtable discussion hosted by the two, the only, the Dan and Dave Buck. This is our eighth recorded roundtable discussion, with past discussions available in the archive.

Ask any question you wish - everything is fair game, and we will select some of the best questions to be answered live in a podcast posted tonight at 11:00pm EST. Questions should be relevant, topical, and appropriate in order to promote a great discussion on magic, cardistry, and everything in between.

All questions must be submitted on or before 9:00pm EST. One random member whose question is asked during the podcast will receive a free set of Smoke & Mirrors, shipped on the house. Ask away, and look forward to having a great discussion tonight.

UPDATE : Podcast has been posted. Download the MP3 directly by right clicking HERE, or listen to it now in the roundtable discussion archive.

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
1) WHO got you into flourishing

2) how can we tell you two apart

3) why did you get into flourishing

4) do you think it is a good idea to mix tricks and flourishes together

5) is there a third buck we dont know about

6) witch one of you do you think is better

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 17, 2007
1) How did you come up with the Smoke and Mirrors Design?

2) What were the processes in making the S&M deck?

3) Any news on upcoming projects?

4) Any news on Improv, Andthensome, or If an Octopus could palm?

4) Any new flourishes you want to tell us about?

5) Who is better: you guys or Anderi? Hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
If someone gave you a deck of cards and said, Show me something. What would you do?

If you had a choice to never do flourishing again, or never do magic again. What would you choose?

Considering you are probably the main influence of the flourishing most frequently performed today(i.e 2 handed cuts etc.) I'm guessing there weren't many published items for you to learn from. What inspired you most to create this new style of card manipulation?

Oct 11, 2008
Dan and Dave are two phenomenal flourishers, and I was wondering, what kind of reactions (from laymen) do you get when doing some of your more advanced moves? That is, if you show laymen, or do you just flourish in its own community?

Nov 30, 2007
How do you continue to be inspired?

What does flourishing really mean to you and why is it important to you?

How would life be different for you without magic and flourishing?

How long a day is practice?

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
1. What trick do you guys see yourself perform the most, and why?

2. Do you guys use flourishes on it's own or do you use it like an extra "cool thing" to magic, or how do you use it?

D

Deleted member 2755

1. When redisigning the 2nd editions of Smoke and Mirrors, what was your main goal to add to the deck that it didn't have before?

2.HOW do you come up with the effects/ flourishes you do? I was rewatching some of the Trilogy today and your effects just have sooo many different sleights in them its ridiculous! (I do not mean that in a bad way.)

3. How do you organize your magic? Do you have a notebook? Do you just go back to your old books/videos? It is near to impossible to just remember every single sleight you learn and just like my last question said, you guys do a lot of different flourishes/tricks.

4. How did you come up with the name Smoke & Mirrors? We all know the term. It has been used throughout history and seeing this as the name of your decks is very interesting. WHY Smoke and Mirrors?

5. What were you guys specifically into before magic? ;) I remember when seeing your lecture in NY, someone asked that question and one of you just pointed at all the non card magic stuff and said "All this s*it." That made everyone including myself laugh. However, it didn't answer the question.:p

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
1) How did you find Si Scott and why did you decide to use him for S&M?
2) What, if any, film projects do you work on outside of the magic industry (short film, Hollywood...)?
3) If you had to give up either flourishing or card magic, which would you choose?
4) Do you see many kids these days with a lot of potential in the magic industry?

David

D

Deleted member 2755

Notice: Please try to keep your questions in only 1 post. It makes JB's job easier when picking out questions to do on the podcast. It isn't very fair to use 3 questions from the same person. Thanks guys.

-Doug

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results