There Isn't THE BEST....

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
We always want the best of everything and magic is no different. Well, maybe it is. Let me explain. In magic, there isn't a "best" method or "best" effect.

In terms of method, every method has advantages and disadvantages. Some methods may be angle proof, but require set-up in advance, some may begin and end clean but require some serious sleight of hand, some may be easy to perform but require a lot of presentation skill to pull them off. What makes an effect good or even great is the balance between the tradeoffs as it relates to a specific performer.

What that means is that no two performers will view an effect the same. For me, I have no problem beginning and ending dirty if the handling of an effect looks cleaner to the audience. For others, they would rather learn difficult sleight of hand so that they can hand out the deck for examination. Also, the tastes of performers are different. Draven is working on an upside down straight jacket escape while I'm working on a routine with giant 3D sponge bunnies and a collapsible top hat. We both think that those effects once polished will be the best... and we are both right.

Each magician has a different skill set and different needs. So what is the "best" for me might not be the "best" for you. In fact, what is "best" for me might depend on where I'm performing and who I'm performing for.

All that being said, most of the disadvantages to a method or effect can be addressed through presentation. That is, you can structure your presentation to emphasize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses.

When looking for new material, the first step is to identify what you like. Watch the trailers and see what is happening from the spectator's point of view. If you like that, then do some research and read reviews. There are lots of reviews here on T11, on E, on the Cafe and splashed across the internet. Ignore the reviews that say "Dis be a g8 trk" and focus on the reviews that give you both the positives and negatives for an effect or DVD. The final step is to ask yourself how you would perform the effect. What material would you pair it with, in what settings would you perform it and what scripting would you use to present it.

Now this isn't directed at anyone in particular because the "what is the best...." threads pop up a lot. those threads show a genuine interest and excitement in magic and a genuine interest in using the community here at T11 to help you progress. However, the search for new effects will be more productive if you focus on what is the best trick for you and not for someone else.

My last piece of advice is what I call the 6 month rule. Keep a list of things that catch your interest and that you want to add to your collection. If after 6 months you are still interested, buy it. You will find that a lot of what is initially exciting and seems to be the "best" will fade with time. This is especially true of newer magicians. As you learn more your tastes in magic will change.

May 12, 2011
You somehow destroyed my plan but I'm glad because I think you got my point and you revealed some of the informations I want to portray. The reason why I created those topics is answer by the title of this thread.

There Isn't THE BEST....

And the message I really want to share is WE SHOULD NOT ANSWER TOPICS WITH THE WORD BEST. We magicians are just wasting our time and even if you think you're helping, you're not.

Additional information: If you notice the topics I created, those came from schwarzeneggermagic, towtox, towcheeze and I was also planning to copy some from Enzo.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Thank You!

While I'm doubtful those that need to read this every will (or will embrace said wisdom) I give you high marks for making the statement. The Gods know I've tried to make such points over the years.

Jul 31, 2011
LA LA land
I made these "best" topics is because I'm not made of money, essentially. I'm not going to buy 7 different T&R effects, and only use 2 or 3. I wanted to separate over-hyped crap from real workers, and was fairly specific with my requests.

I should have titled my threads "favorite" instead of "best", but what's done is done. I apologize if I aggravated some of the users on here. I've learned my lesson :)

Sincerely, towcheeze

May 12, 2011
towcheeze, I'm not attacking you when I did those. It's for the sake of everyone. Sorry for copying your post.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
This is the BEST thread ever xD

Haha, awesome.

Completely agree. Not a single one of us is in the same exact position as anyone else. Nobody else has the same skill level. Nobody else has the same set of proficiencies. All said and done, as R1 said, there is absolutely no way to properly define "the best" of anything in this world. I don't think he was attacking anyone specifically. Just search the forums for "the best" to see how big of a problem this really is.

Thanks for the very legit post.

L

Sep 17, 2007
I don't think there's anything wrong with asking questions about products before buying. But I think the best way to go about it is to do your own research. Go to all of the online shops and look at different effects. Do searches of old reviews on the Magic Cafe. Rather than just asking people here, broaden your search. You'll wind up learning a lot more about products that way, IMHO.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I was a bit rushed for time when I saw this yesterday but would like to further some of Cameron's thoughts. . .

There was a time, not so long ago, that magicians could actually comparison shop; If I wanted to invest in a big illusion I could could look around and find the "best" when it came to deceptive design, practicality, and price to suit my needs. . . Did I want the $850.00 Abbott version of the Thin Model or the $2,500.00 John Gaughan version that was far more clean, deceptive, and of course . . . there was variety and a hell of a lot more freedom when compared to today's "exclusivity" and royalty check obsessed industry -- the combination of ego & greed robbing us of that yesteryear innocence when magic actually had a competitive market and finding "the best" was possible. We no longer know who makes "the best" because of the Monopolies -- BUMMER!

I've tabled the idea of creating a Consumer Guide -- a cloud of sorts that lists all effects, manufacturing sources, etc. with reviews by customers (pros & novice) that would give each piece an unbiased scale or rating. The site would be co-sponsored by ALL major dealers & developers. To guard against any sense of favoritism sponsors would get equal billing in alphabetical order on one single page of the site.

I've shared this concept with at least a half-dozen different groups only to have the site-owners whine about sending would be clients to competitors rather than seeing how such a system benefits everyone and puts things into perspective. Then again, considering the quality and primitive nature of some of the newer stuff that's come along as "original" (most of which is just a revision of yesteryear bits, without proper credits being extended), maybe the hesitation of these groups has more to do with knowing intuitively where some of their "innovations" might come in on the polls ? ? ? Something the consumer should weigh, but how will they ever know about it, unless I were to mention it in a magazine article or something?

Every forum has it's "special people" it's just how human beings are, especially in a highly politically driven industry like show biz. By using the approach I've suggested, we are able to not just nullify the favorite child hype, but potentially give it an infusion of new patrons because something has high marks, even when compared to comparable pieces.

It's just something to think about. Maybe, if more of us start encouraging our favorite sites/merchants & developers to think this way, a central consumer's guide could get established, but momentum towards this end is needed first. . . then again, opening the industry back up so there's more freedom of actual competition wouldn't be a bad idea either. . . just think what it would be like if Benz or Ford manipulated the laws of propriety as we do now. . . no nifty beasties on the road and incredibly slow evolution of the product.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I made these "best" topics is because I'm not made of money, essentially. I'm not going to buy 7 different T&R effects, and only use 2 or 3. I wanted to separate over-hyped crap from real workers, and was fairly specific with my requests.

My post wasn't directed at you in particular. I understand about not wanting to buy every version of a different type of effect. I'm with you on that. My point is that people should do their research and then ask a question based on their research. Also, it helps to say under what circumstances you want to use the effect, what you skill level is and what your concerns are about each different effect you've researched.

I should have titled my threads "favorite" instead of "best", but what's done is done. I apologize if I aggravated some of the users on here. I've learned my lesson :)

That's the BEST advice i have seen here. So for those that are reading this and are about to make a post with the word 'best' in it. Replace it with 'favourite'.

It's not just changing the wording but it is doing your research and providing people more information so that they can tailor their responses to fit what you are looking for.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Not even favorite. My favorite version of card on forehead will differ from everyone else's. Good advice I've read (somewhere...will destroy books until I find it again) stated that you should not ask for a favorite or the best - but just ask for sources of different ones.

You want to do a torn and restored card; do some research, find 5-6 versions and read as many reviews as you can on them. Then create a thread saying

'I've done research on Daniel Garica's Torn and Torn 2, Guy Hollingworth's Reformation, the Holy Grail ...etc... can you send me links to more TnR effects so I can continue my research to find one that I think I will use, and if you don't mind giving a quick opinion on any you own.'

This approach will give you enough information to narrow your search down to 2 or 3 different products. Now you can do more research and make an informed post asking what people (who own these effects) think are the pro's and con's of each effect to further help you decide which one is right for you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results