This Holiday Season...

Jul 8, 2008
Hey guys. Just thought I would share an interesting idea I am tinkering with in my mind that I plan to use on CHristmas Eve as well as Christmas day for family when we have parties. This will also work for Hannukah for my Jewish friends but the time is starting to run out if you want to try it.

THe concept is fairly simple:

Essentially, all you do is have a card chosen after dinner when you are begged to perform an trick. In my family, it's almost traditional to open presents AFTER desert, and that is usually when they ask me to perform. So you go into having a card chosen by means of a force, and then go through the actions of loosing it in the deck. You can have the spectators shuffle the cards because it doesn't matter if you loose it. Then you loose it, can't find it, and move on to another trick with a different selection. Later on in the night, when you are opening presents, that person who initially had a card selected opens his/her gift, and inside, right on top of the present, is the chosen card.

The idea is simple. Get a duplicate card, and then lay it on top of somebody's present before you wrap it. It's a good idea to do it face down so when they open the gift, they can build up the suspense and then turn it over to reveal it is their playing card. If you want, you can tear the corner off of the playing card and keep it for when you perform. Now you force a card on your spectator, you can now rip the corner off and switch it for your original piece and have them hold on to it. Make the card disappear, and later on, they open the present and find what appears to be their selection with a matching torn corner.

It's a little concept that I am excited about. Additionally, you can do a card to wallet type of approach by having it go inside a sealed envelope with their gift card or money, whatever you intend to give to your special someone.

Happy Holidays :D

May 3, 2008
That's a good idea but instead of a force and duplicate. I'm definitely going to be performing Angle Zero with that idea.

Jul 8, 2008
Oh, thank you guys :D Btw, Chris. I want to hear your idea with my stand up trick lol. I left to shower and then you weren't online. Tomorrow. And yeah, guys, do whatever you want that makes you feel comfortable. I will probably end up doing one christas eve and the other christmas day and also for friends probably in school

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
If you want, you can tear the corner off of the playing card and keep it for when you perform. Now you force a card on your spectator, you can now rip the corner off and switch it for your original piece and have them hold on to it. Make the card disappear, and later on, they open the present and find what appears to be their selection with a matching torn corner.
I live 1500 miles away from my family. My brother will be having Christmas at their house, however. I just arranged to snail mail him the corner of a playing card. The "reveal" will be signed from myself, my wife, and our kids.

Thank you for this post and idea.

Jul 8, 2008
Lol DaveyG, the best candidate is probably the person you know will be able to just accept the card has vanished and then freak out more than anybody else when they find the card. That or the person you know will get really excited when opening their present or the one you know won't be as excited as everybody else but then they will freak out when they find the card. THat sounded better in my head...

Jul 8, 2008
Guys, you can also hide the playing card deep in the christmas tree and have that as your revelation. I might try that one day too

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I don't do too many gifts at christmas. But last year i decided the gift for my grandmother and my uncle would be a magic trick alongside their rather small gift. For my grandmother I got her a pin and wrapped the gift in a box. I did angle zero and had the torn corner stuck onto the pin.

My uncle I did a torn and restored card to the present. I had him hold the corner- destroyed his card and it was inside his present.

They really enjoyed the moment along with their gift.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Thank you again.

My brother managed to pull off his end rather convincingly. Granted, he did the hard work on this, but it worked. My mother had the corner, opened a book my wife had bought her, and the card fell out. I had written "Merry Christmas" in sharpie, then had my wife and both kids sign it.

She was still excited when I called a couple hours later.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results