This made me OMG.

very cool. not bad. unfourtunatly the presentation kind of only works in the situation, because you would hand the rubber bands to a spectator and have them check them out instead of yourself checking them. unless they just run their fingers on the band and you hold it.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Yeah, this one is pretty easy to figure out. Actually, this was the first one I actually figured out (not that I try to figure any of them out, but I saw this as a challenge presented by the OP :D ). Anyways, you are in trouble if spectator hands you the rubber bands.

Yeah, this one is pretty easy to figure out. Actually, this was the first one I actually figured out (not that I try to figure any of them out, but I saw this as a challenge presented by the OP :D ). Anyways, you are in trouble if spectator hands you the rubber bands.

If the way I think this is done is correct, then I can think of a way you could work this if a spectator hands you the rubber bands. Just a way of presenting it more than a change in method and it has the added advantage of causing people to focus in where you want them to think the 'dirty' is happening, rather than where it is.

Great trick though. Must admit it had me fooled. Had to watch it a fair few times before it finally clicked what he did (or at least what I think he did!). This would certainly fooled people in the real world.

Rev

Why would you be in trouble? What part of impromptu, and examinable, dont you understand?

J.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
The way it looks like he is presenting it is that he holds the rubberbands while the spectator inspects them. Otherwise he has no motivation to do 'the move' that he is doing to accomplish this little miracle. If he hands out the rubberbands, I don't think the effect can be done as clean as he shows on the video, or at all.

At the end it's examinable, and it is impromptu (as in no setup), but I don't think it is practical :X

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Why would you be in trouble? What part of impromptu, and examinable, dont you understand?

J.

The part that if audience hands you the rubberbands, you have no reason to show them again, because they already know that they are normal. And the way that he does it, they have to be shown for the dirty work to be done.

The part that if audience hands you the rubberbands, you have no reason to show them again, because they already know that they are normal. And the way that he does it, they have to be shown for the dirty work to be done.

Again, I can think of an easy way around this. A way you can hand both the bands out and still have justification for doing the 'thing' you need to do when you get them back. Just takes a little bit of thinking presentation-wise. Stop thinking in terms of method and start thinking in terms of presentation.

I know it sounds like I'm bragging about an idea I've had without actually saying what it is, but it would be hard to explain it without exposing the key part of the method.

Rev

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Again, I can think of an easy way around this. A way you can hand both the bands out and still have justification for doing the 'thing' you need to do when you get them back. Just takes a little bit of thinking presentation-wise. Stop thinking in terms of method and start thinking in terms of presentation.

I know it sounds like I'm bragging about an idea I've had without actually saying what it is, but it would be hard to explain it without exposing the key part of the method.

Rev

I never said I can't think of another presentation to cover the method. I am reffering to the actuall presentation used in the video.

Sep 1, 2007
In This Thread:

"Magicians" that joined the art because they don't like being fooled discussing methods.

Read responses to find out why Calen is having a hard time coming up with effects he wants to put out on the blog because he knows this is exactly what happens to the effects he shares. They aren't your effects to discuss nor are they yours to watch the video 10 times and perform. Calen is sharing his creative gift with us and he's getting nothing in return. Appreciate the effect for what it is and leave the method alone, if you can't you're in magic for all the wrong reasons and you'll grow old and turn into a heckler that tries to call out every move a better magician than you ever amounted to makes out of spite.

Have some respect for the art, and Calen please. Some of these effects are Calen and I's ideas and handlings that we work till 3 in the morning to get just right for you guys, only to have them summed up in a sentence of "Watched it, finally got how he was doing it, pretty creative."

In This Thread:

"Magicians" that joined the art because they don't like being fooled discussing methods.

Read responses to find out why Calen is having a hard time coming up with effects he wants to put out on the blog because he knows this is exactly what happens to the effects he shares. They aren't your effects to discuss nor are they yours to watch the video 10 times and perform. Calen is sharing his creative gift with us and he's getting nothing in return. Appreciate the effect for what it is and leave the method alone, if you can't you're in magic for all the wrong reasons and you'll grow old and turn into a heckler that tries to call out every move a better magician than you ever amounted to makes out of spite.

Have some respect for the art, and Calen please. Some of these effects are Calen and I's ideas and handlings that we work till 3 in the morning to get just right for you guys, only to have them summed up in a sentence of "Watched it, finally got how he was doing it, pretty creative."

Firstly, I have been into magic 17 years and I haven't just 'joined the art' because I don't like being fooled. In fact, I love being fooled and I know I certainly don't really care about methods. There are a few posts buried within the forums where I have actually posted links and declared my joy at being fooled by something. In terms of my own magic, I couldn't care less about the latest moves or whether my magician mates are fooled. I also have no intention of ever performing Calen's effect. It's not mine to perform.

Secondly, Calen has clearly put this video up for magicians. This is not a laymen presentation. In fact, there isn't really any presentation. If you ignore the method aspect, then this video is nothing. Calen has put up this video to show his magician mates that he has come up with a very good way to do this particular effect. There is no way he put it up with the expectation that no-one would discuss the method.

Yes, I agree with you that methods aren't important and if that's all you can focus on when watching a laymen targeted magic performance then you will never enjoy magic again, but this video has clearly been put up to show off the clever method.

In summary, you really need to consider the target audience of Calen's video and then think about whether people are responding the wrong way.

Rev

What's the fun being a magician, if you can't use your skills to solve puzzles. I have no intention in performing this trick.
As magicians are we not allowed to talk about magic?
Methods are over rated, its all anyone ever talks about. Methods, and how they are some sort of Voldemort, something we must never talk about. Magic has too many air-heads, who love their methods. Magic should be open-sourced, where people are happy to openly share ideas.
How are we suppose to advance this art, when we can't even collaborate ideas, with-out been looked at like a pirate.

Now more than ever, I realise what Madison means by MAGICisDEAD. Because to me it sure as hell is.

J.

Sep 1, 2007
What's the fun being a magician, if you can't use your skills to solve puzzles. I have no intention in performing this trick.
As magicians are we not allowed to talk about magic?
Methods are over rated, its all anyone ever talks about. Methods, and how they are some sort of Voldemort, something we must never talk about. Magic has too many air-heads, who love their methods. Magic should be open-sourced, where people are happy to openly share ideas.
How are we suppose to advance this art, when we can't even collaborate ideas, with-out been looked at like a pirate.

Now more than ever, I realise what Madison means by MAGICisDEAD. Because to me it sure as hell is.

J.

The fun is doing just that J. However we are in a community that doesn't have that. People start underground fourms to attempt the very thing you're talking about, the problem is that isn't the majority that thinks that way. I'm with you man, but it needs to be a physical club that does this, not an open internet forum of shotty performers and the hungry hippos of the ellusionist movement.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results