Thoughts on Card Magic

Mar 2, 2008
They are boring.

We should stop making tricks that have 10000 slight. Lets get aminated.

People get sick of finding your card in the deck routines.

Tricks like pyro prediction juicer fruit paper clipped angel zero any type of reveals twilght angels card to pocket ect ect make card magic unique and flavorful.

I beilve we should focus on card magic that involves less crazy slights and only do a color change and more on out of this word card magic.

Example, why just find a card by doing a bunch of florishes and crazy color changes when you can have it appear inside a peace of gum? Plus have less chance of getting caught

Or why do hunderds upon hunderds slights in one trick when you can just make it appear on your arm in writing with again less moves and chances of being caught.

Disscuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I really don't get your point.

Cards are boring, we shouldn't find the selected card, but we should make it appear inside a piece of gum. Flourishes, color changes, your arm, and not getting caught...

What I have to say is that card magic is not boring. There are so many things you can do with cards, and when doing a card performance the effects should vary as much as possible. I try to keep the number of "pick-a-card" tricks at minimum and have cards named or thought, or even better, do tricks that don't involve selected cards at all. Now this doesn't mean that I don't like tricks where a card is pulled out and found later. I love those types of tricks and I do perform them. And most of the time audience actually wants to see that kind of tricks. As stupid as it may sound, selecting a card makes that particular person involved into the trick. It is personal, some might say. But too much is never good.

I've heared the "cards are boring" argument many times. As a card magician my reply is:

"Cards are not boring. You're boring."

Mar 2, 2008
Can you fly and shoot lighting? No, are all the tricks i named possable yes.

best magic out there is anything with borrowed objects. It just seems like everyone here foucus around card magic so i wrote about it.

Mar 2, 2008
I really don't get your point.

Cards are boring, we shouldn't find the selected card, but we should make it appear inside a piece of gum. Flourishes, color changes, your arm, and not getting caught...

What I have to say is that card magic is not boring. There are so many things you can do with cards, and when doing a card performance the effects should vary as much as possible. I try to keep the number of "pick-a-card" tricks at minimum and have cards named or thought, or even better, do tricks that don't involve selected cards at all. Now this doesn't mean that I don't like tricks where a card is pulled out and found later. I love those types of tricks and I do perform them. And most of the time audience actually wants to see that kind of tricks. As stupid as it may sound, selecting a card makes that particular person involved into the trick. It is personal, some might say. But too much is never good.

I've heared the "cards are boring" argument many times. As a card magician my reply is:

"Cards are not boring. You're boring."

No i said there is no need for the florishes. Thats not magic its skill. I think florishes are great but im not talking about it. Im trying to say card magic should be more aminated or shocking then just finding a card over and over again.

D

Deleted member 2755

Why do card magic at all when you can fly and shoot lightning?

"Wow" is all I can say to that post. Isn't that a bit of an exxageration?

Some people make it seem like card magic is the only kind out there. Primarily, I do cards, but I do try to break away from it every once in a while. There are TONS of other genres of magic:

Coin Magic
Rope Magic
Stage Magic (which can be divided into further sub genres)
Mentalism
More.....

In my eyes, if someone only does card magic, that person is not a magician.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
No i said there is no need for the florishes. Thats not magic its skill. I think florishes are great but im not talking about it. Im trying to say card magic should be more aminated or shocking then just finding a card over and over again.

Oh sorry. I did not get that.

Mar 2, 2008
Stop doing card tricks, start doing card miricals-jay sankey.

Best way i can simply state my thread.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
It was sarcasm, which I have to admit, is rather hard to convey via internet forums...

Yes it is...

Anyway, besides Ineski solutions to the "pick a card" dillema if you are going from a ACR to an inversion routine, and you need another card picked, insted of asking ffor another card, just use the card that you used in the last routine.

And yes I do agree with ineski, there are a TON of things that doesnt require "to pick a card and then find it in a cool way".

We all need to read books :).

D

Deleted member 2755

Immaculate Connection by Paul Harris. Ugh I love that routine.

-Doug

Nov 14, 2007
Mexico City
...best magic out there is anything with borrowed objects. It just seems like everyone here foucus around card magic so i wrote about it.

I assume, because of the quoted above, that ye like coin magic. Correct? Then why learn palms and vanishes when one can simply get a shell and a flipper coin, both shimmed and add a Raven, Bat,...?

Disclaimer: I am merely taking the argument ye supply; I do not think this way.

Yes, why add a myriad sleights to a trick when it all can be done incredibly easy if only ye read a book and find an adequate sleight for the intended effect? 'tis inappropriate to judge in such a fashion, I believe. The same thing ye ask us:

Or why do hunderds upon hunderds slights in one trick when you can just make it appear on your arm with again less moves and chances of being caught.

can be answered with some reading. The Professor was of the (most reasonable) idea that let alone a trick should consist in as few sleights as possible, but a sleight should consist on as few moves as possible.

P.S. Firefox has a spelling tool.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I agree picking a card and finding it gets old.

but the things you can do with a deck of cards is endless, even without gimmicks.

Gimmicks dont really excite me, i feel like i accomplished more when i can do a sleight really well. I feel like gimmicks do the work for you.

Mar 2, 2008
I assume, because of the quoted above, that ye like coin magic. Correct? Then why learn palms and vanishes when one can simply get a shell and a flipper coin, both shimmed and add a Raven, Bat,...?

Disclaimer: I am merely taking the argument ye supply; I do not think this way.

Very nice argument. I can achive such effects that uses shell or raven with a variation with using slight of hand. (cant we all) I dont see the need of buying more gimmicks. The thing is i am not talking about card gimmick. What i mean is why do Tivo 2.0 when you can do carbon paper? Easier and room for script plus it lastest more thne 30 seconds.

Yes, why add a myriad sleights to a trick when it all can be done incredibly easy if only ye read a book and find an adequate sleight for the intended effect? 'tis inappropriate to judge in such a fashion, I believe. The same thing ye ask us:
can be answered with some reading. The Professor was of the (most reasonable) idea that let alone a trick should consist in as few sleights as possible, but a sleight should consist on as few moves as possible.

Agreed, thats why i'm NOT a fan of the buck twins but everyone here seems to pratice and love there style of magic the most. I don't like it.

Mar 2, 2008
I agree picking a card and finding it gets old.

but the things you can do with a deck of cards is endless, even without gimmicks.

Gimmicks dont really excite me, i feel like i accomplished more when i can do a sleight really well. I feel like gimmicks do the work for you.

Let me make my self clear.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT GIMMICKS

What i am saying is that people should do more "animated" card magic. A "animated" card trick that is not a gimmick would paper clipped or angel zero and card stab (some varitions) Those trick seem more magical and more impossable then just doing controls and color changes.

If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying that magicians shouldn't perform the same effect over and over without mixing up the effects presented. Yes?

I agree with you, friend. I've seen my share of fellow magicians who have so many card revelations and so little time that they stuff them into a routine just to get through them all. The tricks are different, the effect is the same.

We should always understand the effect. Not in the sense that, say, Witness is an effect, but what the effect within Witness is. (This may sound trivial, but I've become much more creative simply by getting a better grasp of my terminology.) If you don't know, how can you know what you're building up? Or if you're becoming repetitive? How can you communicate to people what, exactly, just happened?

John Carney's Book of Secrets has a nice essay about variety in magic that I read and reread twice over the summer break from gradshcool. I think you'd find his thoughts to your liking.

Pj

Mar 2, 2008
If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying that magicians shouldn't perform the same effect over and over without mixing up the effects presented. Yes?

I agree with you, friend. I've seen my share of fellow magicians who have so many card revelations and so little time that they stuff them into a routine just to get through them all. The tricks are different, the effect is the same.

We should always understand the effect. Not in the sense that, say, Witness is an effect, but what the effect within Witness is. (This may sound trivial, but I've become much more creative simply by getting a better grasp of my terminology.) If you don't know, how can you know what you're building up? Or if you're becoming repetitive? How can you communicate to people what, exactly, just happened?

John Carney's Book of Secrets has a nice essay about variety in magic that I read and reread twice over the summer break from gradshcool. I think you'd find his thoughts to your liking.

Pj

Thank you i will look into that.

That is anther good point, my main thing is that I think cards have more potental then people put into them. Usally its just finding the card and doing cool florishes.

We can have card burnt into our skin!!! and we are doing a lost card to a color change?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results