Thoughts on New Site / No Wire

Hey T11,

I haven't been here in a while and I recently logged in to notice that the whole site has been rebuilt. I just wanted to get my feelings out there and see what yours are.

I personally dislike the new site with all my heart. It differs from the original Theory11 so greatly it's hard to get used to it and I find myself not wanting to be here because of it. Call me crazy, but it just doesn't feel like home anymore. It's just not the same. I think that tweaking the site a bit isn't a bad idea, but to totally re-do it is silly and makes me feel awkward here.

Sorry, it just doesn't feel like the site I grew to know and love.

Also, I notice there is no more "The Wire" page listed up top. So Theory 11, I ask you, is this you saying that there will NOT be a WIRE. If so, what were you originally planning???

Dylan P.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Dylan,

If you expected us to stay with the old site from now until the end of time, it wasn't meant to be. The previous site - like this one - was custom developed from the ground up, and it was very loyal to us for three years. But it was time for change, and undesirable to retain a relatively offputting, dirty, grungy image that we had before - it was time to mature and refine our image as our site and community grows, evolves, and advances.

Is it a big change? Absolutely. But judging by the 99% positive feedback we have received, I think it is a massive change for the better. It will take some adjustment, but please realize this is something that we worked on for close to a full year. It won't feel like home the first time you visit it. We remodeled the house! Change for the sake of change is not good - that is not what we did here. This was very calculated, refined, and done with a level of detail unheard of in the magic industry.

If viewed with an open mind and positive spirit that maybe - just maybe - it just might be awesome - I think you will very quickly get used to it as your new home. I certainly have! Regarding the wire - this is something that we are actively working on finishing the details of as we speak.

I can understand revamping the site, and I'm not saying that it should have always looked grungy and all that. I'm just saying that this looks more like Dan and Dave's site, than T11. There should've been minor espects that you kept. For example, the logo even changed, I think keeping the old logo would've been a nice thing to keep as a farewell.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I can understand revamping the site, and I'm not saying that it should have always looked grungy and all that. I'm just saying that this looks more like Dan and Dave's site, than T11. There should've been minor espects that you kept. For example, the logo even changed, I think keeping the old logo would've been a nice thing to keep as a farewell.

Absolutely appreciate the feedback - we listen to every bit of it. However, we have to look to the future, not the past. We are focused and aggressive in moving forward, pushing the envelope, and leading the way. The new logo animation was designed by Bradley Grosh (of Digital Domain / GMunk fame) - the same visual effects artist doing much of the new TRON movie. I think it is a MASSIVE step above our old logo - as well as being shorter (1/4 the length) - and cooler!

My advice, although you are absolutely entitled to your opinion - give it the weekend. Click around. Check out how sleek the navigation is on the tricks page - where you can find any trick by any filter within seconds. Check out how the preview videos are now visible 40% larger than they were on the old site, in double the resolution. Check out how smooth and easy on the eyes the forums are. Check out how seamless purchasing and searching is - you can find any trick or media video by using the search box on any page. And lastly, check out how AMAZING it looks on your iPhone or iPad - everything (including the vids) is fully functional.

It is a drastic, massive change. But our goal was to take the weaknesses of our previous site and makes those our strengths on this new face. It will take some getting used to. Give yourself time to do so before making a final judgment. I think that given a fair shot, it will very quickly start to feel like this old house got a fresh new remodeling. And it smells like new!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Okay Jonathan, it's the least I could do. But can you do me one favor?

PLEASE!!! Put a search bar in the Media section!!! Please... It's been bugging me forever! Please please plaese with suagar on top

There is a search bar everywhere! At the very top left in the navigation bar, you will see a search box that searches both media section videos and theory11 products. It's the fastest way to jump around the site.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Deffinetly give it time. I personally think the site looks great and all sites should change and evolve over time. Yahoo doesn't look the same now as it did when it started and if it did it wouldn't be as good. They needed to make changes to make it more effective and to move forward. not just that but tons of websites and companys. So you'll just have to get used to it.

Heres a link to show how some other known companys logos have changed[you'll have to scroll down a little bit]:
http://blog.styleapple.com/styleapp...ies-Logo-Design-Changes-That-May-Surprise-You

And a link so you can see other big sites have changed over time:
http://www.wakeuplater.com/website-building/evolution-of-websites-10-popular-websites.aspx

You'll find change is better. It just takes time to get used to it.

Nov 8, 2009
When i first saw what they did with the site, i was very surprised....
i almost didnt like it..
But after only a day, it seemed to grow on me, and i now believe it was a good choice to revamp the site.

The conspicious lack of the wire was a bit unnerving/dissapointing though...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results