Thoughts on writing out sleights, flourishes, etc.

Jul 28, 2014
I just have a quick question here. What are anyone's thoughts on writing down your sleights, flourishes, etc. That you are practicing or have mastered. For example, when I am performing for someone I always find that I need to be thinking, what do I do next? So, does anyone really write down their sleights, flourishes, etc. Or do you just kind of go with the flow and just master whatever you can and showcase what feels right. Thanks in advance, and have a great day!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I just have a quick question here. What are anyone's thoughts on writing down your sleights, flourishes, etc. That you are practicing or have mastered. For example, when I am performing for someone I always find that I need to be thinking, what do I do next?

Emphasis mine.

If you ever find yourself thinking that during a trick - then you haven't practiced and rehearsed that trick enough to be performing it. If you find yourself thinking that in between routines - then I usually use that as a good indication that it's time to stop performing. Improvised performances are rarely as good as planned ones unless the person has trained themselves to improv. So my own personal rule is if I think "What should I do next?" I either stop right there, or I do one more thing and then stop, depending on the feel of the performance at that time.

I'm very hit and miss when it comes to journaling my stuff, though. I usually end up writing it down as I develop a new routine or idea, and also when writing out a show. But I definitely don't have everything written down. I also rarely go back and read what I've written. I just remember it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results