Three things I realized today...

I spent literally the entire day doing magic at the local Carnival thats in town. I had a bad camera man but I got some footage. Look for it later in the media section (hopefully)

1. Doing magic for real people is by far the best practice. I literally felt my presentation get better as the day went on.

2. Routining is VERY VERY important. I didn't have a preset routine from start to finish. Don't worry as a magician I didn't wing it, I had an opener and a closer for each set of tricks but the middle sections changed throughout the day.

3. I drop cards when I'm outdoors. Stupid wind. So really what I am trying to say is that doing magic ALL day wrecks decks faster than anything. Especially if you do angle zero twenty odd times.

I felt like sharing these things for kicks. Heres hoping you don't make the same mistakes I did.

Keep practicing, and you will always learn from your mistakes. When you keep performing, there will always be a mistake, or something that needs improving on.

The magic keeps going, there is never an end :)

It is good to learn from the mistakes, so you know for next time, and never give up over a mistake.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
It's better than an excuse to pose badly-thought out rants as a real idea. It's great that you did that actually, I know that I need to just get out and perform more, haven't had a lot of time recently. I had the same experience with decks though - going out and performing wrecks them so quick

Its actually the specs that give the decks the most damage. I do an out of this world routine where the spec shuffles (AoA vol ....3? I believe. Called Galaxy) which absolutely kills. In both reactions and decks :p.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Oh really? I use Derren Brown's one, another one the spec can shuffle - but that doesn't kill my decks usually, although i suppose it helps - but I guess just a lot of exposure to various things, tables, hands, etc would all contribute

All the specs I gave the deck to today (during stigmata, Out of this World, Pretty much and spec shuffle routine) apperently think that you have to squeeze the piss out of the deck in order to shuffle it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Baha! Oh man, when they remark that my cards are really cool and ask to see it, or during tricks where they have to hold cards... *shudder* they hold them like they'd hold onto a handly, and completely crimp the cards...

Dec 10, 2007
Slovenia (Europe)
Haha, I know how you feel :D.

I always get the deck after some heavy books after a performance day. It helps a lot :).

Oh, and get a Porper. I've heard they're great-ish.

-Seb

Sep 3, 2007
Its actually the specs that give the decks the most damage. I do an out of this world routine where the spec shuffles (AoA vol ....3? I believe. Called Galaxy) which absolutely kills. In both reactions and decks :p.

Galaxy! I love Galaxy. =) I ask the spectator if they can shuffle a deck of cards before giving the deck to them. If they say no or seem iffy, then I shuffle. That's with a newer deck though. Anyhow...glad to hear you had fun performing.

Yep! Real world performing is always the best practice. While it's good to practice in front of a mirror or a camera to get your moves down, in the end you're performing these tricks for spectators, so why not practice on spectators.

Glad to hear you had a good experience! Hope to see your video and next time get a better videographer :p.

Mitch

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results