Thursday Night Roundtable - The Diagonal Palm Shift

Nov 29, 2008
The Diagonal Palm Shift is one of the most widely studied moves from Erdnase's Expert at the Card Table. It is also arguably one of the most efficient techniques for palming single or multiple cards.

Common problems during a person's development of the move are finger flutter, the sound of the move, attaining the proper position to get the card into a comfortable palm, and an unnaturalness in the palming hand. With all these and the fact that many magicians have done extensive work with the move and created important variations, such as Arthur Finley and Paul LePaul, as well as its applications as a multiple shift, there is much to talk about.

Let's begin.

Nov 29, 2008
Well I think the other most obvious app is a direct control to the bottom. Although I haven't used it as a color change like Tony, I have used it as an addition on a few occasions, and actually once I used it as a switch where I moved the card into cop and then switched it for a card in my hand. Sometimes I use it as a multiple shift if someone is really being a heckler and I don't want to use a cut so I use it as a passive multiple shift.

very good ideas. Although I dont use it for much more than a hold out or a bottom control I do get into the move in many different ways. I use a peek, dribble, selection, etc. Surprisingly, I rarely eevr use the straight push through tought in EATCT.

Nov 29, 2008
I think its important to practice the basic write up just for the mechanics, but I don't use it that often. I also like doing it from a peek, because it has been written a few places that some times to the specs its almost like a thought of card. and I LOVE any controls froma dribble, I think it looks so fair.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Unfortunately, I can't join, as I haven't learned the diagonal palm shift yet, but I hope more people join is soon. I really love this idea of talking about moves every week. Very helpful.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Yeah can't join either because I don't know the diagonal palm shift. I advice to pick a common sleight every card magicans knows, like a double lift, the classic pass, ect.

Mar 29, 2008
I have performed the move for years in practice, but have never needed it in an effect. However, I have been told by many I perform it well.

A few tips:

The further over to the left back corner of the deck your right thumb is (assuming you are right handed) the less the card protrudes during the movement.

Also, if you keep your left index finger straight and run it across the bottom of the deck it will prevent flashing and facilitate the move greatly. This last tip is almost too good to give away for free.

I find inserting the card lower, rather than higher in a classic pass, helps prevent the likelihood of clicking and creates less movement.

Lastly, I want to keep my left thumb on the deck as I "square the cards" and DPS the card, but moving my right hand forward, rather than my left hand back seems more natural to an actual squaring motion (uniformity of motion) and actual prevents my thumb from jutting out.

These are my thoughts for now. Hope they help.

Mar 29, 2008
Did you read what I wrote above your post??? This will help. The only other tip I can give is, don't start to palm the card, because it will bend, until it is cleanly out of the deck.

Mar 29, 2008
As long as it helps - who cares about right and wrong. The sounds, similar to a side steal, can be the angle you are holding the cards. Most likely, the previous mention tips will help with that. Glad you asked. Cheers.

Nov 29, 2008
Sorry I didn't respond I went to bed last night. For the sound, work it like a side steal, remember to keep it on the same plane as the deck as it is being extracted, and don't palm it until it is entirely out. Also, A tip by John Carney on his On Palming DVD, which I recommend to all of you, is to turn the left thumb towards your right hand, and bring it over hte right thumb as you palm the card, as this also diminishes flashing of the card. Finally, look at your deck hand in the mirror and watch when you aren't doing the move, jsut squaring up the deck, and try and mimic that action in the DPS to make your hand look more natural.

FOr those of you who couldn't be part of the discussion, SHAME ON YOU! WHY HAVEN"T YOU READ ERDNASE! or at least parts of it.

Here are some sources to learn the diagonal Palm shift, and variations, although the expert at the card table is still the best.
http://archive.denisbehr.de/archive/route/entries.php?url=10,745,476,680,684,656
(Only some of the moves on this page are DPS and variations.)

Dec 4, 2009
Paul Chosse has an excellent handling of the DPS that is published. =)

My friend Dan Fishman also has quite a bit of work on this sleight as well..

To be honest, just practice it out of Erdnase.

It is the most direct, and it does not need any finesse to it.

If you need to palm out a card and the DPS does not fit the situation that you are in, then use a different sleight.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Yeah, I use both the push-in and peek method. I actually prefer the original push through method because it seems to flow better. When it's done from a peek, I find it requires more pinky work to get the card "going". When it starts out in the front, there's a sort of smooth momentum and it seems to slide through the deck easier with less fuss. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Nov 29, 2008
Yes I know that the push through has that sort of rhythym and momentum, but at the same time, like Tony Chang says, the spec can almost sense that momentum, and can suspect that that hand that is moving from the front, down the side, and out the back has some control over that card. I like to do the peek and the other equally in all honestly

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
my problem is when i push the card in, i cant get the card to come out in the correct position on the first squaring motion. I have to go back forward and back again with my left hand. Any suggestions?

also, please look at this for an amazing DPS done live on tv by akira fuji. It is late in the routine, but the whole thing is worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkP9IWW0y1g

Nov 29, 2008
my problem is when i push the card in, i cant get the card to come out in the correct position on the first squaring motion. I have to go back forward and back again with my left hand. Any suggestions?

also, please look at this for an amazing DPS done live on tv by akira fuji. It is late in the routine, but the whole thing is worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkP9IWW0y1g

Read the mechanics in Erdnase again that should help. Can you tell me a little more about your problem, you can PM if you want. YOu may just not be providing pressure with the correct finger at soem spot, probably a quick fix.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results