Time Travel With Cards...

Hey Guys and Gals, sometime soon, next month or the one after that. I have a "Do a good act and get in the Club" performance. And I was wanting to do a performance around Time Travel, I was also going to use this idea for my act at the Close Up Magic Champs (NZ) in Dec. 08. And I was just wondering if you had any ideas or know of any good effects to do with Time Travel.

Ones I already know/intend to get are;
Time and Space By JM
Jordan Lapping's Timemachine
And Gregory Wilson's Time Travel Effect on PyroPasteboard.
Oh and FiTH and FOUR (they can have the time travel presentation behind them)

And thats about it really. These were the first ideas that came to my head for that small Act. Start Off With JL's Timemachine then go into Greg's then JM's. Thats not for certain, thats just the idea thats floating around my head at the moment.

So if any of you guys or gals have any ideas, please, leave a comment.
Thank you very much.

Cheers, Tom

Sep 1, 2007
Triumph makes a good time travel trick. Also consider ace assembly style tricks, they can be presented with a time travel flavour. There's some very good time-themed tricks out there - check out Paul Cummins' FASDIU lecture notes and Card College volume 5 for more ideas.

Oct 24, 2007
Well, my suggestion for starting off your routine would be a deck switch.

Do have any Vintage Red or Blue Bikes? Cause if you do, you could start out holding a regular Red or Blue deck, then talk about how you're going to take them through time in the performance, then do a deck switch from regular to vintage as if you are sort of going back in time.

Then you could go into the effects you are planning on doing. I think that would be pretty cool. Of course, the only effect I really know anything about is Timemachine, so you might not be able to deck switch because you might need something "extra" for the other tricks and I might look like an idiot right now. (lol) But, that's my suggestion. Peace!

Tyler

Well, my suggestion for starting off your routine would be a deck switch.

Do have any Vintage Red or Blue Bikes? Cause if you do, you could start out holding a regular Red or Blue deck, then talk about how you're going to take them through time in the performance, then do a deck switch from regular to vintage as if you are sort of going back in time.

Then you could go into the effects you are planning on doing. I think that would be pretty cool. Of course, the only effect I really know anything about is Timemachine, so you might not be able to deck switch because you might need something "extra" for the other tricks and I might look like an idiot right now. (lol) But, that's my suggestion. Peace!

Tyler

Thats a legend idea, didnt think about that, the only effect I would nee something extra for is JM's Time and Space. And I would need to do a deck switch anyway for Greg Wilsons Effect (If I was not performing it 1st
)

Cheers, Tom

Jan 7, 2008
I know you said you'd be ok for effects but i can't help giving my $0.02

I find when presented right, Jay sankey's nailed can be great for time travel, i know it's a transposition, but you're using a photo, what better way to say.

"This was done in the past, here's the proof, i'm going to go back in time and change this."

Obviously not quite as blunt as that but when done right, i've had people looking uncertain as to whether its just a trick or if i did actually go back in time.

Any transportation or transposition effect can essentially be presented as a time travel effect. If you truly want to be knowledgeable on the subject of Time Travel I would like to recommend a book for you to read!

It's titled "Time Travel in Einstein's Universe: The Physical Possibilities of Travel Through Time".

It is a fantastic and interesting read and you will learn loads on Time Travel which can and will help your performance.

:)

Mitchell

Sep 1, 2007
Cyril uses a time travel presentation for his ambitious card routine. He says everytime he snaps his fingers, time goes back 10 seconds, so the card goes back to the top.

If you haven't seen his ACR, go watch it on youtube, its really decent.

Sep 1, 2007
It all depends on your presentation. You could present almost any trick as a Time Travel themed trick.

I disagree. A lot of tricks wouldn't work with this theme.

For instance, you cannot really bring in a time travelling theme into tricks involving penetrations, physical abnormalities, levitations, transformations,etc. Like Dis Jointed, how do you incorporate a time travel theme into it? And a balducci levitation? Or Control? Even mindreading effects and moving objects cannot be used with a Time Travel theme.

Just my thoughts.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Gregory Wilson's "Flashback" is simply awesome... you won't regret getting it. Plus everything else on Pyrotechnic Pasteboards is great, as well.

I disagree. A lot of tricks wouldn't work with this theme.

For instance, you cannot really bring in a time travelling theme into tricks involving penetrations, physical abnormalities, levitations, transformations,etc. Like Dis Jointed, how do you incorporate a time travel theme into it? And a balducci levitation? Or Control? Even mindreading effects and moving objects cannot be used with a Time Travel theme.

Just my thoughts.

I see what you mean. I was wrong. I do think that you are wrong about DisJointed.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Look up Pyrotechnic Pasteboards by Gregory Wilson on Penguin. You can search for my review of it here, or there. You can find his effect "Flashback" on that DVD.

Nov 30, 2007
i guess maybe deja vu on dan and dave bucks the system...

I think you meant on The Trilogy.

Carp Warp is another effect that isn't that expensive. Its not that amazing but it is still pretty good. That trick is all about time travel and a time machine.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results