Tips Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

towtox

Banned
Sep 4, 2010
Calgary Ab
ok so i worked on this for 8 hours i was home you probally know why and yes i said i would leave t11 but i went to a counsler today

Stay nice with tips no hate i will gladly take anytips [video=youtube;0Kdd5_fKmyI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kdd5_fKmyI[/video]

Ok.
First off. dont tell the spectator you rnt holding a break. they dont really know what a break is and they shouldnt.
second. i would spread out the cards and have them select a card. seems open.
third. when you have them replace the cards. maybe dribble the cards to where they say stop, put the card in there and dribble cards ontop, making a mess, but then your able to retain a break.
fourth.there are easier ways to get a card turned over. i would look into those. even an ego change move would have been better. with the way you are doing it it doesnt make much sense and it will be easier to mess up.
fifth. dont "mess up" so much. people will loose interest. mess up once and be like im joking. i'll cut to your card, is this it? dang, i mean i m joking again, im a comedian.
sixth. that isnt houdini's deck (well at least not the famous one) and spectators wont belive you either. make that into a joke tho. be like oh houdini, johnny houdini, hes my uncle, god rest his soul.

keep workin on it.
maybe i'll put up a vid of what i would do.
Alright man. peace

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
well now, that "break" didn't last long. when people tell you to practice they aren't talking in terms of hours, they are talking months if not years

towtox

Banned
Sep 4, 2010
Calgary Ab
ya i went to a counsler i have been home from school practicing i didnt flash at all i worked on the patter made it look better

the dread pirate robarts is right.you cant just practice 8 hours and think its good. even better would be to practice 4 hours for 2 days. you will be able to relax your muslces and your brain will solidify what you just learned. its going to take many months for you to even have this down pat. it took me 2 years to even be comfortable doing a double lift.
also the patter needs work. there really isnt any. its like. im holding no breaks. is this yours? no is this yours? no? oh here it is.
work on the routine untill you can do it perfect (or as near perfect as you can get) blindfolded then work on the patter.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Good you took my advice... Now I know I didn't make that video for nothing...

Ok, some things I didn't like...

1. You talked about the deck, called them Bee Stingers, and then later you called them Houdini's deck. Like Chris said make the Houdini thing a joke, and stop bragging about your deck.

2. You took almost 30 seconds just to start the trick. Make it simple and get to the point.

3. Learn to shuffle. Don't just randomly cut. I know people say youtube isn't a good source, but I wouldn't tell you to buy a dvd on how to shuffle a deck. You just did a bunch of swing cuts at the beginning. You don't need that many. Just do a couple and a riffle shuffle. Thats all.

4. You looked kind of uncomfortable. You kept flipping the deck over and other stuff and kept repeating yourself.

5. Worst thing, and a lot of beginners do this, you said, I'm not holding any breaks. I know you made this probably for magicians, but still. Don't say "I don't have any breaks." Spectators won't even think of that. I know I'm just repeating what Chris said, but this is important.

Overall, I'm happy that you improved and listened to my video. But stop sticking on this trick. It isn't really one that's absolutely outstanding.

Now I can't give you more advice, gotta do hw... lol..

Rupayan

Sep 1, 2007
ask ur girlfriend she knows where it enters and exits haha

Not a joke, but an incredible simulation.

Look, I'm only going to say this once. Do not try to start **** with me. There is no way you will come out of it on top. I have argued countless times with people smarter, wittier, and far more eloquent than you. If you want to be a flippant little snot with me, then you are going to ****ing lose.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Not a joke, but an incredible simulation.

Look, I'm only going to say this once. Do not try to start **** with me. There is no way you will come out of it on top. I have argued countless times with people smarter, wittier, and far more eloquent than you. If you want to be a flippant little snot with me, then you are going to ****ing lose.

Correction, you'll both end up looking like little kids having a hissy fit over something silly.

Jun 10, 2010
ask ur girlfriend she knows where it enters and exits haha

Keep it up, one day you're going to go to prison, and some of those guys will show you where it enters and exits. If you don't want to get raped in prison, cut the ****. It'll save your life (or atleast.. your ass, literally).

Oh, and you need to take a break. Get familiar with a deck of cards. I've seen many more people who don't use cards everyday hold them comfortably.. You look like you're trying to strangle those with a deep, tight grip. Keep it lose and around the tips of your fingers... Study various grips like Mechanics, Straddle, Biddle, etc. They come up very often in magic, particularly those three.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
I find it surprising that anywhere here still thinks I want or need their approval.

Ugh seriously, can you PLEASE stop being such a constant downer? I mean this kid wants help on his video, and ok, he makes a completely unnecessary odd statement about your girlfriend... But if you don't like the kid, then just stop posting...

Sep 1, 2007
Ugh seriously, can you PLEASE stop being such a constant downer?

I'm Slavic. That's like asking the sun not to be so bright all the time.

I mean this kid wants help on his video, and ok, he makes a completely unnecessary odd statement about your girlfriend... But if you don't like the kid, then just stop posting...

No, he doesn't want help. He wants praise and validation. Somebody has to call him on his bull****. And currently, myself and b_08 are the only ones with the cojones to do just that. The rest of you are still drifting in this Culture of Nice mindset where we all have to smile through our teeth and never, ever put our foot down on bad behavior for fear of offending somebody.

Even now, you're not really calling me on my bull****. You're throwing me a bunch of softballs. I've been called far worse than this for much less, and by people whose opinions I actually attach real value to.

Actually you do. Otherwise you would have logged off and gone to do something more important if you didn't care what people on the internet think of you.

So you think the only reason I'm here is because I want your approval? Don't flatter yourself. I come here because I find stupidity offensive and people like you are too damn timid to stand up to it.

That and it amuses me to watch how pissed off everyone gets when I challenge their poorly thought-out ideas. Am I an elitist dick with a superiority complex? Yes. But I cop to it.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Alright.. I'm even going to step in. Perhaps as the voice of over-caution.

It was about 2 years ago when my wife went away on a business trip and I stumbled into some magic dvds via ebay. Almost all of my videos are password protected at Vimeo with the express intent of having my magician brother in another state tear them apart into tiny little pieces.

I actually did perform in my driveway two nights ago. That was a huge deal. Plus, I didn't even do half of the things I wanted to. There were things I left in the "bag" because I just wasn't practiced enough with them yet. It took two years for me to reach this level of comfort.

Please, slow down. Enjoy the process without worrying about having it perfect tomorrow. Keep cards around that you can reach when it won't be troublesome to have them, and honestly just play. No cameras. No expectations except that your fingers and cards are learning to harmonize. Catch the smallest, most delicate break you think you can get away with and hold it while you relax.

In your fingers and thoughts, really, please relax. Learn to make it feel natural that your magic is happening -- in your mind and your hands alike.

It is going to take time. Hopefully not as long as it took me, but it will be a process of learning. Relax and spend some time enjoying the process. I have grown to dislike cards but still enjoy practicing sleights to deal with stress.

Sep 1, 2007
Almost all of my videos are password protected at Vimeo with the express intent of having my magician brother in another state tear them apart into tiny little pieces.

Now see, this? This guy has balls. I can respect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results