Tips for a beginner

Sep 24, 2018
Hey there guys! I am very interested in starting cardistry and card magic, bought myself the first book to get my nose into (Expert card technique by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braué). My only problem (which should not actually be an excuse) is that I have rather short and fatty fingers. The question is, what should I focus on? Where should I start? Any booms suggestions? Or tips?

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey there guys! I am very interested in starting cardistry and card magic, bought myself the first book to get my nose into (Expert card technique by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braué). My only problem (which should not actually be an excuse) is that I have rather short and fatty fingers. The question is, what should I focus on? Where should I start? Any booms suggestions? Or tips?
The books Gabriel gave in the Jason England Link are excellent

Instead of "Expert Card Technique", you probably want to start with "The Royal Road to Card Magic", also by Hugard and Braue, which is the foundation and the "prequel" to Expert Card Technique. It has all the basic stuff you'll need

As for the fingers, start with the basic stuff, and you're fingers will adapt to most things automatically. It just takes some practice!

Dec 5, 2014
I have pretty tiny hands, so it's difficult to palm cards, but in the end these adversities will just make you an even greater magician! Potentially add your own spin on tricks etc.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Just adjust techniques to suit your hands. If Mahdi Gilbert can become one of the best card magicians in the world, without hands, you can learn sleight of hand with, as you say, "short and fatty fingers".

I second the recommendation to start with Royal Road to Card Magic - and that video by Jason England is excellent advice, as usual.

Sep 29, 2018
RRTCM would have been better indeed to start with...but don't fret. Most of the sleights on there are public domain. A little bit of research will get you through Expert Card Technique without you wanting to bang your head with the book.

(DISCLAIMER:- Kids, don't try that at home. Especially with the hardcover version. Self harm isn't good. Thank You. Read on.)

As for cardistry...I'll pm something to you. Hopefully, it'll help ya a lot mate :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results