tips on production

Nov 1, 2013
hello, I am looking for tips on getting good production values as I plan to make a release on the wire, I am using my Ipad to film; so what would be good video editing software, please note that I don't have any mush money as I am young, so free would be preferred. any help is appreciated.

Sep 1, 2007
If you're young, I would focus more on honing your chops as a performer in front of live audiences. Right now, the market is saturated with stuff, not all of it very good. However, the fact that you want to learn better production for video is still a sign that you at least take what you do seriously.

I wrote a thread on this subject last year. I'm not as down on cell phones and tablets now as I was when I wrote that. At the time I was suffering motion sickness from seeing a whole bunch of shaky, poorly shot cell phone videos and made me long for a tripod something fierce. There's a sentence you don't see very often. In the article I actually provide a link to a collection of 10 freeware editing programs that come highly recommended and well-reviewed.

I also recommend you invest in a good cardioid microphone because the one on your tablet is going to sound like ass. This is also covered in the thread. You can find some nice ones at places like Best Buy for reasonably cheap, though I would check to see when the best times to catch electronics on sale are in your region to see if you can hold out for a really good deal. Audacity remains a very good freeware program for editing and cleaning up sound and it's also available for Mac OSX.

Beyond that, pay attention to what I say in the thread. Equipment is only part of having good production values. A lot of it comes in how well you actually frame and shoot everything. Learn how to frame a shot, rehearse, block your routines, get a live audience, and give your camera operator very clear instructions and make him/her practice with you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results