'Tis the Season to Be Steampunk

Sep 1, 2007
Those of you who read my blog probably remember last year I put up a 3-part shopping guide for magicians to add new stuff to their wishlists. One of the sites I reference was ThinkGeek. Well, there's still time before Christmas, so if you're looking for a Dickensian holiday (I still dream of some day soon hosting a steampunk-themed Christmas party, by the way) with a touch of Jules Verne, maybe let your friends and relatives know that these are on your wishlist.

Steampunk Watch Pendant
This thing is crying out to be used in a pendulum routine. A lot of people forget that pendulums and similar devices were still very much in vogue in the late 1800's. Whether out of Old World superstition or the spiritualist movement breathing new life into them (if that's not an ironic choice of words), everyone knew what these things were and what they did.

Sundial Ring
Okay, so it's not technically steampunk, but just look at that thing! It's the perfect compliment to any routine about the passage of time or time travel or... something time related! Use your imagination. I'm not going to write your whole show for you. At least, not unless the price is right.

Telescope Ring
The first thought I had for this one is a Thomas-Edison-esque routine where turn-of-the-century super science meets superstition. The idea of lenses that can view auras or thoughts, for example. And what is more steampunk than putting unnecessary lenses on something, I ask you?

And yes, this is partly in retaliation over the fact that the steampunk cards were a massive disappointment.

Aug 16, 2011
Not to be rude, but I think that's rather missing the point.

Sorry, I did miss the point :\ I didn't fully read it, I mostly just skimmed and clicked on the links, and from there I got distracted with the rest of the stuff on thinkgeek.com :eek:

But...I think this is what a magician needs if going the steampunk route!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ef77/?srp=19 <---How cool is that!? AND...they're marked! So maybe you can pull off some patter with the use of a steampunk wrist monocular http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ea3b/?srp=4 (it may not actually do anything to assist with the trick, but it looks pretty darn cool!)

Sep 1, 2007
Thought I would update you all with this link. Good Old Games dot com is having their holiday sale, and Arcanum is half off. If you don't know, Arcanum was a turn-based RPG from 2001 that takes place in a world of Tolkien-esque fantasy with the twist that the world is in the middle of an industrial revolution. If you want to learn more about how steampunk and magic can interact, this is one of the best examples you're ever going to get.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results