Tivo 2.0 Switch- First Performance

Sep 1, 2007
I remember when i first started learning Tivo 2.0 myself and it was hard as hell.
Well, about the video. You must learn a proper DL and how to display it before even get started on the effect. It was clumsy and seems to me, you have not been holding a deck of cards in your hands long enough : )
My suggestion: Train your hand in easier effects before going to tivo 2.0, if not keep practising it, but it will be more frustrating..

Sep 2, 2007
Denmark
Well, IMO you need to practice more.. Your center double seemed awkward and you flashed the change a bit.. But just keep practicing, and it'll be great..

:)

/ChristianL

Aug 31, 2007
UK
I will give you the truth, it was bad, oh so bad. It was jerky, unsmooth, bad and you flashed, you need alot of work on this.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I'll start off from the beginning. Work on your patter. Honestly, I don't care what kind of cards you're using, nor that they're all different... I just want to see the trick. Sorry to say it, but that needs to be taken off.

Your Double from the center was horrible (no offense). It just looked awkward. Try to rotate the card using the edge of your fingers before turning the hand over, instead of grabbing it and rotation it. You'll find it makes the Double loads easier.

Now, once you managed to get the Double on top of the deck, you need to handle it more "fluidly". The turning over of the Double was... bad, to say the least. Try to make it more natural, as if you are truly handling one card.

Now, the second Double you also need to work on. Try to turn it over like the Bucks do when they're performing it; grab the right edges of the cards with your index finger and thumb of your right hand, and rotate it around your left thumb, turning it face up onto the deck.

At this point, you got to the change. It looked terribly awkward and suspicious. You flashed a bit right after the initial change, but then you went on to make it look even more suspicious by laying your hand on top of the deck and only allowing us to see the outer left pip of the card. Work on having your hand more natural and "fluid", like it's floating above the deck.

You also seemed to stumble while pulling the eight out of the center... it took way too long, as if the "instantaneous switch" was still taking place. Work on executing that "move" faster and more naturally, as if you were simply pulling it out of the middle.

I know you probably hate me by now because of all the critisicm I'm giving you, but I have a couple other things I would like to mention. First, your performance overall as a whole. It was dry and boring... two things you do NOT want to be as a magician, or a person in general. Try to be more entertaining... make me want to finish watching your video, instead of making my mouse draw ever closer to the big X in the corner. Like I always say: the performance gets 90% of your reactions... the other 10% goes to the effect itself.

And last, but not least, try not to sway back and forth so much while performing. It not only made it extremely hard to watch, but I also think I may have gotten a little seasick towards the end!

I'm sorry I was so harsh on you, but you really need to practice a bit more. Better luck next time!

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
No offense.. but for me everythin was HORRIBLE, learn how to do a dl smoother, than practice the cardini change.. because u EXPOSED IT.. I think u didnt rewatch the vid before uploading... When u are going to upload a vid u have to watch it rewatch it watch it like 10 times, without exaggerating. to find out the mistakes... if u think u can do it better, than film it again 0.1/5

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
you guys, you are saying double lift cardini change, and all that, isn't that kinda exposury? well to me it is.

About the video, it does need a lot of work, including patter, that was D&Ds patter, and it won't work for you unless you can do the moves as fast as them, and you can't, I don't even think anyone can do it as fast and smooth as them. Work on everything Aris and adjones told you they are right, they just should have been a little nicer about that. I mean you can't even do a proper dl, I don't think you shold even tackle this trick for awhile, or practice for at least a month and not 2 weeks, I practiced for about a month, without showing it to anyone, and then I had it perfect, not as good as D&D but perfect enough to do it correctly without thinking about it (except for maybe pulling the middle card out, but I cover for that with some patter) and then I blew people away, you should do the same, and if you want to learn something from the trilogy, try either collectors or 69, or subway

it kind of hurt my eyes. the double was no offence, crappy and you flashed the change horribly. not to mention you did the last part way to fast. plus you did this wierd rocking action with your whole body. its like you had to much to drink and could stand straight. keep practicing

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you should watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrPL0ca_Ip8

That's how this effect is supposed to be performed. Good sleights, and good presentation.
Meh, I really didn't like the monotone presentation there. It sounded like he really didn't want to be there and that he was really bored with what he was doing.

Other than that, good, and I agree 100% on everything else you said. I'd go more into detail, but I'd just be repeating you.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Holllly.... that was soo... ugh!

And for future videos, DO NOT MOVE AROUND LIKE THAT. It's really annoying and stand up straight. Everything needs work... like I said FEW WEEKS doesn't do sh*t. You need months and maybe YEARS to get it right! (THIS IS FOR ALL SLEIGHTS AND ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAGIC)

PS. The caps doesn't mean I am mad or screaming in text, it's just to help you read it more clearly.

PSS. In my opinion, Chris Hestnes's performance of Tivo 2.0 is the BEST!

Hey man. I left a comment on your Youtube page. All it takes is practice.

From watching this video, you seem to be new to magic...am I right? Here is my list of your pros and cons:

Pros:
Your patter was decent.

Cons:
Your double lifts are terrible. They don't look natural at all.

The way you hold the cards already make you seem suspicious. Relax.

The change may have been quick, but you still flashed.

What I do with the Tivo 2.0, is practice over and over and over and over and over again. I don't perform tricks even if I feel like it is 99.9% good. Just like Chris Kenner, I'm a perfectionist. Flashing one trick is a demise for the whole community.

Just keep practicing man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
go ahead and take it down--dont worry about people being mean, but your flash was pretty major-if any laymen were to be fooled the first time, they would catch it a second go round.

don't let anyone get you down--practice, practice...practice...and when you're finished-practice again.
do it in front of the camera another four dozen times and see where you're messing up and where you need to get smoother. then work on it.

when you can do it in for your camera and you, yourself, cant see any of the sleights, Then post it on youtube and label the new thread on these forums 'improved tivo 2.0-comment'

hope this helps
:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results