TNR question

Sep 18, 2007
Hey guys, I was wondering what the difficulty level of TNR is. I am sort of new to magic. I have been real serious for about 2 months and have most of the basics down and am now getting into the more advanced stuff. So is it to early for me to be learning this or do you think I'll be O.K.?

Jan 6, 2008
www.myspace.com
TnR does involve a gimmick, but it can be made using things around the house (or for a total of about $15 at Wal-Mart).

As for the difficulty of making it. In my opinion, the gimmick is somewhat hard to make. Chris Kenner teaches it perfectly though. The first time you make it, it'll take about 45 min but after that you'll get faster and faster at it.

One you have the gimmick made, it will take ALOT of practice to master it. The gimmick itself is pretty cool but actually using it takes alot of mirror work and tweaking. I purchased it about five months ago and it's still not up to my performance standards.

So to answer your question: No, it is not something you will be able to do immediatly out of the box. Even though the gimmick is somewhat difficult to make, and it take times to practice it; once you get it down it is amazing. Though I don't recommend it for absolute beginners, it is an amazing effect.

--
Philip:Lupo

Dec 31, 2007
Massachusetts
TnR does involve a gimmick, but it can be made using things around the house (or for a total of about $15 at Wal-Mart).

As for the difficulty of making it. In my opinion, the gimmick is somewhat hard to make. Chris Kenner teaches it perfectly though. The first time you make it, it'll take about 45 min but after that you'll get faster and faster at it.

One you have the gimmick made, it will take ALOT of practice to master it. The gimmick itself is pretty cool but actually using it takes alot of mirror work and tweaking. I purchased it about five months ago and it's still not up to my performance standards.

So to answer your question: No, it is not something you will be able to do immediatly out of the box. Even though the gimmick is somewhat difficult to make, and it take times to practice it; once you get it down it is amazing. Though I don't recommend it for absolute beginners, it is an amazing effect.

--
Philip:Lupo
The trick could cost $15 to make the gimmick, it matters what you might have laying around the house, and what you don't.
I would definitely recommend buying this because I just got mine a couple days ago and it is fantastic.
The first time making the gimmick (which will last you about 10-20 performances) took me about 1 and 1/2 hours to make.
Once you know how to make the gimmick after, tho, it will take about 5-10 minutes.
Chris is a really good teacher and I really recommend you get the trick!
From a scale of 1-10 (10 as being the hardest) I would rate it about 5/10. You do need to practice but it is a great trick, even you will be amazed yourself.
As Chris explained the gimmick is as amazing as the effect, which is 100% true!
This one is really worth it and great for all magicians to have.

Goodday,
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 10, 2008
I agree with the other posters pretty much. The upfront cost for supplies will depend on what you have on hand. I had some of the items that were needed, but after making my first gimmick decided to go ahead and buy all new supplies because some of the items I already owned weren't ideal and buying a new one would make it easier for making more gimmicks down the line (without giving anything away, I decided that having something made of metal rather than wood was worth the $1.99).

Your time to make your first gimmick will vary. Chris estimates 45 minutes to an hour on the DVD and that is probably about right. I made mine in about 35 minutes, but I think that was mostly due to the fact that I had already watched the instructional portion of the dvd a couple of times and was therefore able to fast forward through some sections. I made a couple more as soon as I was done and finished them both in less than 15 minutes.

The DVD is WELL worth purchasing. Not only does it do a great job of covering the angles and general essentials of performance, but the section on constructing the gimmick is so well done that my mother could follow it. It's thorough, well-explained, and takes it nice and slow so you never feel like he's moving too fast and you're missing something. Excellent, excellent, excellent instruction.

The only point where I would disagree with the others is on the time from construction to performance. I know everyone learns at a different pace and (more importantly) everyone has a different level of mastery at which they feel comfortable performing an effect (not to mention a different definition of 'mastery'). Five months seems like a lot to me for this effect. I'm not insulting Lupo in any way, it's just that my experience was different. If he feels like it took five months for him to feel comfortable performing it, that's his business and I'll bet he does a flawless job with it. For myself, I worked on it for an hour or two a day for about a week before I took it to my tester (a coworker that I use post-mirror phase to help me work out the rest of the kinks). He and I rolled it around for a day and then I went back and worked on it for another few days before I was ready to perform for others. So far, no detections and the gimmick has worked perfectly.

So, to wrap up this much longer than needed post. First, definitely buy the DVD. As far as learning time goes, it's going to pretty much be like any trick. It will depend on your personal comfort level of when you feel like you have a trick down and how much time you put in to get to that point.

Good luck! Come back and let us know how it went. :)

Sep 18, 2007
Thanks guys. I went ahead and bought the download. (I'm kinda impatient, hehe)
But your guys are right, Kenner does explain everything perfectly and in great depth. I can't wait to get the supply's and start making the gimmick. I will be sure to post a video when I have it mastered, I tend to catch on to things pretty quick so hopefully it will be about a week. And thanks guys, your comments really helped me in deciding if was going to buy it or not, thanks a lot!

A Fellow Magician,

Isaac

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results