Top Change Help

Nov 27, 2009
I can make a smooth top change and understand how to "hide" the move, but I have questions for the more experienced masses. Is the top change supposed to be silent? If not, what's the best way to cover the click of the cards? If so, why am I getting a click, and how can I avoid it?

I would like to use this very useful move, but the click of the cards seems like it would be a problem. If anyone has any advise I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The top change is meant to be silent.

There are many reasons that this could happen the few that come to mind is that as you re doing the change there is too much of a gap and you are pulling to hard down on the card.

You can always find a variation of the move that will work well for you. Try a few different things like loading the card under the top card or doing something like a second deal change.

The best way to find out is to perform it. You will understand the top change better when you use this move in a trick for real audiences rather than practicing. Then you can tweak it and find ways in which to make it silent.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Try holding a lighter grip on the cards as well. Under normal performing conditions nothing should be audible. The cards will contact each other and make some noise, but this is almost negligible.

Nov 29, 2008
Yes I was curious, my top change makes sound as the cards being switched slide against each when they come in contact. Is this normal? Is there a technique to elimintating this?

Apr 1, 2009
California
I'm still working on this myself, but something I've noticed, when holding the deck in mechanics grip, lighten up on the left thumb a little bit, the one that holds down the card (not really "hold down" but you know what I mean) when doing the move and there won't be much of a click if any. You'll see why. OR you could just turn the left hand over and point at the changed card as though it was the original, then the clicking would make sense with the gesture. :p.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yes I was curious, my top change makes sound as the cards being switched slide against each when they come in contact. Is this normal? Is there a technique to elimintating this?

It's normal. The cards will of course come into contact with each other, and in doing so will make noise. As long as it's barely audible, this is normal.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results