Top Shot

Oct 25, 2007

I have trouble with the TOP SHOT move.

I can't get the card to shot across. It always stays caught between my fingers and it's frustrating the heck out of me.

Any suggestions.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Extend the finger before that happens. So do the move then immediately extend finger.

If this is exposure please remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2007
I do that but the card still remains between my fingers.

Does the condition of the cards play a factor in this? I mean should the cards be new, broken in, or completely used.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I do that but the card still remains between my fingers.

Does the condition of the cards play a factor in this? I mean should the cards be new, broken in, or completely used.

Well the cards shouldn't stick together as in if you fan the cards it should be smooth. I can do this move even with my 6 month old tally's

The grip is important. Similar to that of ego/cardini change.

Oct 25, 2007
I see what you mean.

I take it you have the move down. If so, how long did it take you to do it.

I know it's a simple move to do. I just can't seem to get it down and I've been trying for a while.

Dec 10, 2007
I see what you mean.

I take it you have the move down. If so, how long did it take you to do it.

I know it's a simple move to do. I just can't seem to get it down and I've been trying for a while.

It took me about a week and a half of practicing solely that move for 2 hours a night every night. It is NOT a simple move lol. Its all about practice and experimenting with the timing and the feel of releasing the card.

The way that i did it was i just sat on my bed and would do it over and over (do it on your bed or something because the cards will go everywhere and this way you dont have to worry about bending over and picking them up every 2 seconds.) When ive gone through about half the deck then i would pick up all of the cards square them up and do it again, just top shot over and over. This allows you to really feel out the move and adjust it as you need to. You can see what works and what doesnt work quickly. I stop after I've used about half the deck because i find that the move feels a little different the fewer cards you have, but you can really feel the difference after youve gone through about half the deck.

As far as getting it to actually "shoot" i would just say do the above steps and experiment with different things. Remember to release at the right time, there isnt a very good way to explain this just play with it and you should get it. Also make sure that your pinky doesnt pull down. That may be the problem. When i release the card my pinky is pointed toward the hand im shooting the card to. I hope this helps man. Just practice and you ll get it.

Mar 29, 2008
Hi Kal-el,

Just wondering what source you are learning it from? Are you learning the original, or the modified easier version? Anyhow, it is not an "easy" move, it's only easy once you can do it. Keep working at it, try different things to make the card fly out. I think I learnt it from an Ammar video...or Daryl...either way, things liket his are best learnt from videos or in person. I am sure if you search Youtube, you will find some smuck teaching it...I can't believe I just said that.

Oct 25, 2007
What I meant by "simple" is that it doesn't involve too many steps.

As for the source, I'm learning it for one of the flourishes in the SYSTEM DVD

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
It is something that takes a knack - is it only shooting the card out that is the problem. I recommend just outjogging a card and trying to get it to sail...it helps with the ending, as that seems to be the problem. Good luck.

May 29, 2008
Romania
so it's not working for you. well, this is what you need to do: leave the move for 3 days. don't try it for this period of time. then try it. it will work. guaranted

Sep 2, 2007
London
My suggestion is to only use the very tip of your little finger to shoot the card, and extend your second and third fingers to keep them out of the way. As you develop the knack, you'll be able to close your fingers more so the technique isn't as obvious.

Dec 10, 2007
what flourish from the system uses the top shot? Are you sure you dont mean from the "Tricks" DVD of the Trilogy?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results