Torn, Restored...then what?

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I am requesting for the creative among you to help a fellow magi in need. You are indeed half way there if you are reading this so let's get on with it.

Have you ever performed a trick, finished with the climax, only to be met with cold, long, uncomfortable silence with the spectators among you simply unimpressed? Well i haven't!

Okay maybe i have, but thats not the point!

The point is: have you ever performed the same trick BUT you left a beat before the climax and have gotten great reactions? This is rather common. It is our job as magicians to ensure that the spectator's mind does not connect the climax with the method. This is also my problem.

I have been performing a torn and restored for some time now, many of you probably know it. I have just torn two cards and could easily reveal the reconstruction of one of them, but I have realised that the reactions i would get are a bit...weak. However i think it is a very good effect and one that simply requires an injection of time to delay the climax.

Many people might use flashpaper to create the diversion, this however is not always practical, therefore a cross is placed on that idea.
I thought about ending with the spectator holding the pieces but perhaps YOU have a better idea.

Release your thinking doves and enlighten me!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Sorry, no ideas, but, whenever I don't get a reaction, I borrow a Greg Wilson line:

"Hold your applause! Oh, you were!"

Just something funny that secretly hints that they should react.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Yea, this happens with Blindsided. On some groups, they freak out over the final deck change. But on other groups, they just stay silent and one person says "Wait, how are they blue?".

Pausing a beat would indeed help build for the climax........but in this case, maybe it's your audience.

Some audiences just don't react like others.

But, I do agree with adjones. Some punch lines would help lighten things up.

i.e - "....Um.....here's the part where you guys clap!"

Or something like that.

Hope I helped!

;D

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
No that's all well and good but i'm looking for a way to create a beat. Otherwise the trick becomes obvious and loses its power.

I like the Greg Wilson line though.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results