Totally Out Of Control - Question

Hey,

I had a quick question about TooC video product.

I understand it says OVER 50 HOURS of footage... but then I heard it was only going to be about 8. How does this work? I realize there's a limit for hours per DVD, and I can't imagine them having, like, 10+ DVDs.

Thanks!

Sep 1, 2007
I believe I heard JB mention something to the effect of editing down the footage to eight hours...

Sep 1, 2007
Not all the footage shot is usable. Some are different angles, bloopers, retakes, etc. Other footage will be looked at and not used for whatever reason and may be released separately (as with Daniel Madison's Dangerous, etc.). Extra footage is typical when producing video as some stuff just isn't usable, but it isn't evident until you hit the editing room. That's why you always get the "deleted scenes" and "bloopers" when you buy a movie DVD. Some stuff just doesn't fit, work, or look right.

Apr 28, 2008
JB said the DVD's will be 8 hours.

I have no idea why they told us there was 50 hours of footage, it's completely irrelevant if we don't see it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Of course. What sounds more impressive, and what is more reflective of the effort that they did in fact put in to create this DVD?

"We were so brilliant we managed to shoot everything in 8 hours, and everything was brilliant and included!"

"We painstakingly went over everything in 50 hours of footage, and have gleaned from these gems a DVD set of material."

Thanks for the help, but I'm still confused. I don't understand why theory11 would take the time to film 50 hours and then cut it down right to 8. Sure, they might not have planned it out at all, but that doesn't seem like theory11.

Anybody else? Thanks.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Think about it this way;

A major movie goes for about 100 minutes. Yet they film it for six weeks, sometimes longer. They have to get everything right for the final cut so they film scenes over and over again. Different camera angles, slightly different scripts and bloopers or even just a poor voice track make a piece of film unusable for the final cut. That is what the "over 50 hours of footage" would include. So whilst it is irrelevant to the final product it is however more of a sign that Theory 11 care enough to make sure that the final product is the best that they can put out.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'm an actor by profession. I shot a film for 4 months, over several countries, and all for a 120 minute film. Each day we spent anywhere between 10-12 hours on set. There's a lot more detail that goes into making these sorts of things that most people ever realise or see.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i know this is off topic but it does pertain to TOOC. i was watching dangerous again to review some stuff. did anybody else notice what book is on the table in "Heritage"? yep. you guessed it. Totally out of Control. nice little plug for chris there wayne. i know what your up to. ive got my eye on you

Let me rephrase my question: I understand it takes much more time to make a product than the final product actually is. Don't get me wrong on that.

But I was a bit confused: Is there 50 hours of viewable, final footage? That they just dropped to fit on a few discs?

Thanks.

May 18, 2008
They had 50 hours of footage; some that is good, some that isn't. They edited out all the bad footage. Now they have 8.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yep, they have the best footage in 8 hours. Keeping in mind the previous stuff about takes and so forth, they most likely would only use one shot from each angle of every take they did. If they did multiple takes of multiple angles, which is again an almost certainty in most cases, that would leave them with a mere fraction of that total 50 hours. They have 50 hours of footage in total though, yes.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
I can tell you first hand...

They shot for over 50 hours at the house.

The DVD isn't going to be 50 hours.. they have to pick and choose, edit and re-edit, bleep the bad words and find the best outtakes.

Its like when a model takes a picture for a magazine... they shoot well over 400 photos before going back and finding one that MIGHT be "the one".

Its still going to be one of the best magic DVDs in the history of time though. Its very exciting and I can't wait for the release!

Love,

Katie

ChrisKenner

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
I am not sure about this 50 hour thing. I mean I don't even like this Chris Kenner guy but I bet that the 50 hours of footage means that they have multiple camera angles that all add up to 50 hours to import not that they shot for 50 hours. I mean think about it Kenner is so old that he could not possibly have the stamina to film for 50 hours.

I hope he has some cool tips and new stuff on there.

Chris

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I am not sure about this 50 hour thing. I mean I don't even like this Chris Kenner guy but I bet that the 50 hours of footage means that they have multiple camera angles that all add up to 50 hours to import not that they shot for 50 hours. I mean think about it Kenner is so old that he could not possibly have the stamina to film for 50 hours.

I hope he has some cool tips and new stuff on there.

Chris

I cracked up at this.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results