Transition to parlor

Apr 18, 2016
USA
hello all, I have been doing coin magic for people one on one for the better part of twenty years. This has mostly been for my own enjoyment. In the last year or two I have begun working the cards, mostly gambling effects. I have been given the opportunity to do a parlor show, no set date, anytime I want to. I've never performed magic in front of twenty people at once.

Will good coin magic stand up in front of that many people? Or should I take this opportunity to expand into other areas?

As always, thank you for your advice.

Apr 18, 2016
USA
Excellent, miser's dream is in my repertoire. Reckon I'll bust out my scarves as well....

As always, thank you for taking the time.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Neither cards nor coins play well in a parlor setting. There are exceptions such as The Miser's Dream, Cards Across or Six Card Repeat. Parlor effects need to play big so that everyone is involved. Cups & Balls can work for around 20 people -- probably not if you are doing a show for 100. Rope magic can also work well. Sponge balls can work with the right presentation. Linking rings are great with 10 to 12 inch rings. How about a zombie ball? Maybe a bill in lemon. If you don't have Mark Wilson's Complete Course... get it. You can do your whole show from that book.

I'm in the process of redesigning my parlor show. When it is done, it will include (as an 90 minute show with elements being removed for shorter shows) linking rings, a card to bottle effect, a torn and not quite restored bill, a trick with apples and oranges, a reenactment of a first date, an effect about turning back time, a compatability test, a miser's dream routine, a playful zombie ball, an effect with pictures of playing cards controlled from beyond, needle swallowing with a glass of wine, a PK touches routine, sands of the dessert, an egg bag routine and a closing card trick in which the entire audience participates.

Reactions: Mr.Book
Apr 18, 2016
USA
Bill in lemon is a wonderful idea, as well as some rope work.

Thanks for getting my gears moving.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results