"Trendy" Magicians and Tatoos

Does the proliferation of tattoos on a performers hands affect your appreciation of the effect?

• Total voters
Jan 14, 2017
Launching off this discussion, I wanted to ask a question of this community.

When watching both Cardistry AND Prestidigitation, I find the markings all over the hands (and particularly the fingers) a serious distraction. My attention is drawn to those little squiggles like the red underline Microsoft products provide to show you a word is spelled incorrectly!

It 'feels' like the performer should have washed off that mark from capping the Sharpie during the previous "Signed Card" effects.

It may just be that I am "old" (and have a particular aversion to tattoos).

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm curious what your motivation is?

Personally I don't care. What people do with their own body is their business, not mine. Tattoos have been around longer than the aversion to them (which is generally rooted in either religion or attempts to create a discriminatory dogma).

Being old has nothing to do with it. Everyone in my family, even my grandpa, has tattoos. I suggest a quick Google of "Tattooed seniors".

Tattoos have a long and very interesting history. When I spot certain motifs and styles I know things about that person. They are expressing themselves without the need to say anything, putting who they are out for all to see. There's honor in that. Few people wear themselves on their sleeves like that (pun intended).

Jan 14, 2017
I'm curious what your motivation is?

Personally I don't care. What people do with their own body is their business, not mine. Tattoos have been around longer than the aversion to them (which is generally rooted in either religion or attempts to create a discriminatory dogma).

Being old has nothing to do with it. Everyone in my family, even my grandpa, has tattoos. I suggest a quick Google of "Tattooed seniors".

Tattoos have a long and very interesting history. When I spot certain motifs and styles I know things about that person. They are expressing themselves without the need to say anything, putting who they are out for all to see. There's honor in that. Few people wear themselves on their sleeves like that (pun intended).

You are absolutely correct. And, perhaps you misunderstood my intention.
I am NOT objecting to the tattoos or the person's decision to wear them. My comment is simply that all that 'ink' is distracting - to me.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I was genuine when I said I was curious about your motivation? What is your hope or goal for this thread?

Jan 14, 2017
What is your hope or goal for this thread?
Great question! The answer that springs to mind is, simply, "an open, intellectual discussion and an opportunity to share and learn about others in the community" {Sounds a bit altruistic when I re-read it, but it is the truth}

BTW: I love your domain name, @ChristopherT !

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Oh thank you.

Well, I'm not sure how else to continue answering the original question then. It does not distract me, really, other than trying to see what the tattoos are and wondering if they mean what I think they mean. I have several tattoos myself, and the only thing keeping me from being fairly covered is money. My work is all personal symbolism, and some of it serves other purposes.

Some notables for me - The ones that are normally visible in a performance scenario are: The physics symbol for change on my inner left wrist, the Celtic tree of life and death on my left forearm, the Japanese kanji for Truth on my right wrist, a sentence in Ogham on my right wrist, and blue spirals on the pads of my index fingers. I also have two more kanji on my right forearm, but those were the first tattoos I ever got and will be covered up when I have a good design worked out.

For me, I put things that I need to be reminded of daily in places I can see them regularly. I have "Truth" on my wrist because it's both a tribute to a story that was important to me when I read it, and because it reminds me that truth is always the easier route to take in life. The change symbol I got during a very tumultuous time in my life and was something of a meditative focus to calm down. The Tree of Life and Death is a tribute to my heritage and beliefs (And it's just gorgeous). The spirals are both a heritage thing (They are in "wode" blue, which is a reference to Irish and other Celtic warriors) as well as a tip of the hat to my profession (hypnotist, witch doctor). I'm debating a tattoo on my left palm in the style of a mystical eye but I have to come up with a design that suits my style and isn't close to other prominent performers (Mostly Mark Calabrese).

So, from my perspective when I see tattoos I'm not turned away, I'm intrigued by the glimpse into the person's mind.

Nov 25, 2016
India ,Cochin
Maybe its just me or its the place I'm from but here people don't really get distracted by tattoo's mainly cause they feel their objective is to foil the trick rather than to enjoy it I myself have two one on my right arm and the other on my left but you cant really see them so i cant say....... guess everyone's got different opinions when it come's to this topic.

I have the Triforce on the back of my left hand. The worst case situation I've ever faced is someone looking at me and accusing me of being a member of the Illuminati to which I'll gladly play off their ignorance to enhance the mystery and wonder of the effect I just performed.

The people that DO understand what my tattoo is usually comment enthusiastically and it lets me know where my people are. I can connect with those audience members easier.

I was told when I got my hand tattoo that it would be a "career killer". I've never had it affect my employment status at all. I've even done network television and not had an issue. Knock on wood.

I think there certainly is a bias against people who have ink. It seems to be a generational thing, and an older one at that. I've heard the horror stories abound about how much of a degenerate someone is who has tattoos. How they are godless heathens. How they are criminals, and gang members. But thankfully that stigma seems to be dying off. Honestly if you're being so easily distracted by the ink of my hands during a performance then I must suck at entertaining. Because you being aware of my hands should be the last thing you're thinking about when I've got you in front of me while I'm doing a show.

Reactions: ParkinT

Stu-pendous

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
www.facebook.com
I've always found little touches like tattoos or even just rings and brackets/wristbands to draw me into the hands. I have no tattoos myself so I fall into the rings and wristbands catagory but I love taking the time to look at all the intricate designs people have.

It may end up being distracting but never in a bad way. Possibly they are looking at places and missing a sleight. Maybe thats only a problem for cardistry when you want them to focus on the cards.

Reactions: ParkinT
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results