Trick for Christmas

Jun 20, 2013
Hello!
So, christmas approaches, and I plan to buy a magic trick! So, I was asking for: What is your favourite trick/book ever? It sounds interesting to know this, and will help me to choose! :p
Thanks and sorry for my english!

magicdamadude

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Hello CelineH!

I could tell you what books I like, but it wouldn't help unless we have the same interests in magic. What kind of magic do you like? Cards? Coins? Also, What skill level would you consider yourself?

Sorry to answer your question with a question! I only do this because all my favorite books are beginner's books that have a lot of information, like Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, for example.

Jun 20, 2013
Good question Cody! :) So... I don't like coins that much, I prefer cards, or kind of "street magic" tricks, that uses everyday objects or food (like oreos :p ) . I started magic there's 1 year and a half, but i can't give myself a "level". I judge this with the reactions of my friends that are good, and that say me I'm very good :) But I'm obviously not as skilled as maaaany other magicians because I only have 1 year 1/2 of experience :) But I progress quickly! ;) so... Something visual, with not much angles, will fit my style!

Jun 20, 2013
But although I'm not very skilled yet, I can work reeeeally hard to get a trick down :) So difficulty is not a criteria :)

magicdamadude

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Okay, that helps! Well given that you like card magic, there are a lot of sources out there. You've only been doing it for a year and a half, so I'd still venture to recommend basic books. Believe me, you can get some great stuff out of tricks you may not think aren't as visual as you'd like them. My first thought when you said "street magic" was The Complete Idiot's Guide to Street Magic.

http://smile.amazon.com/Complete-Id...&qid=1386703412&sr=8-3&keywords=street+magic'

That one doesn't have as many fundamentals, but it was a fun read. As for other books that are some of my favorites for "street magic", I recommend anything with cards or any other everyday object. Cards always play well with audiences. Some of my favorites with cards:

Hugard and Braue's Royal Road to Card Magic
http://smile.amazon.com/The-Royal-R...3884&sr=8-1&keywords=royal+road+to+card+magic

Card College Series:
http://shop.dananddave.com/card-college.html

Another one of my favorite books, which I've already mentioned is Mark Wilson's complete course. Has a little bit of everything. May not have all of what you are looking for, but it gives you an insight to other types of magic:
http://smile.amazon.com/Mark-Wilson.../ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

That is just a couple of my all time favorites. :)

magicdamadude

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Believe me, you can get some great stuff out of tricks you may not think aren't as visual as you'd like them.

You can get great reactions from very basic tricks. They don't have to necessarily be visual. Visuality (I'm making that a new word) helps, but you can get a lot of work out of a simple trick from any of these books as long as you present it well.

Apr 17, 2013
since you are still new I would get Mark Wilson's book and either the Big Tarbsll book or the eight vol. Tarbell set. BTW street magic is just close up magic with a "cooler" name.

Jun 20, 2013
I dream of buying Tarbell 8 books set *_* But I'm only 15 so it's a LITTLE BIT pricey for me haha! And thanks for your answer Cody!

Apr 17, 2013
Also the Mark Wilson book can be picked up for about $20 as well. If you are hinting for the Tarbell set for Chrsitmas Vanishing Inc is selling it for $180 and it comes with a ton of extra including a killer book test.

magicdamadude

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Also I would call Tommy Boy in Charleston or check out Magic Makers in downtown Huntington at the corner of 4th Ave and 6th at the foot of the bridge for the books. I think Tommy Boy still has his shop over in the west side of Charleston over by the Foodland.

I am quite a regular down at Magic Makers these days :) I haven't heard of Tommy Boy. I'll have to look him up. Thanks Krab 1! Nice to know someone else has been to my rinky dink little town lol.

Apr 17, 2013
I am quite a regular down at Magic Makers these days :) I haven't heard of Tommy Boy. I'll have to look him up. Thanks Krab 1! Nice to know someone else has been to my rinky dink little town lol.

Tommy Boy is a Clown in Charleston. When I was the staff Magician for WQBE and Electric 102 he was like the only shop in town. I lived in Huntington from 1986 til 1993 and Charleston from 2000 til 2009.

magicdamadude

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Tommy Boy is a Clown in Charleston. When I was the staff Magician for WQBE and Electric 102 he was like the only shop in town. I lived in Huntington from 1986 til 1993 and Charleston from 2000 til 2009.

Ah, gotcha. Well, thanks for the tip on Tommy Boy! Next time I'm in Charleston, I'll have to scope the shop out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results