-trust-

Trust, what does it actually mean? Many people won’t be able to tell you the actual MEANING, they will think trust is self explanatory. Some people will give you general words to help describe trust, Reliance, confidence and dependence. But what does trust have to do with magic, well, do deceive, you must first gain trust.

I stumbled across this quote which can indeed be helpful in non magic life, “Trust is like a vase.. once it's broken, though you can fix it the vase will never be same again.” But magic, for some reason, is quite different, the element of trust ads to the excitement, the audience becomes attached to you and will forget about the “trickery” part of magic, and stay with the astonishment aspect of magic.

After reading the previous quote on trust, I came across this one “Without trust, words become the hollow sound of a wooden gong. With trust, words become life itself.” When interacting with your spectators, this attachment trust creates will allow conversing to become a lot less awkward and true. It will allow for you to be yourself, not stutter, interact as though you were talking with your family or friends, and your speech will be a lot more fluent.

Your interaction with spectators revolves a lot around trust. But gaining your audiences trust is a different story, people have a way of telling whether people are trustworthy or not. Stories, they’re a great way to earn trust from your audience. Stories can allow you to relate with your in ways you’d never dream of. These stories can relate on a personal aspect, a physical aspect, and a mental aspect. Simple nuances can add to the trust level in any performance. Your spectators will know that you aren’t afraid to state your opinion, and believe it or not, that is something many people admire in a personality. There are no lies, and no distrust on either side. With these maxims in mind you will notice that it will be easier to share personal information, gaining to power to relate with the spectator.

Learning how to trust, and BE trusted are fundamental axioms of each performers digest. Not only do you have to gain trust, but trusting your audience is an important factor as well. If you are constantly scared that you spectators will be tough cookies, then you deserve it. Trusting your audience can reduce the tough cookies to a bare minimum, they know that you aren’t afraid and that you are in charge, by trusting them, they will gain more respect for you and your art.

I’ve read books by Robert Ludlum, and I encourage you to read them as well. His books display excellent examples of gaining trust, although they are usually not used in the right context, they are great learning sources on the ability to obtain trust from a complete stranger and using it to your advantage.

I get family and friends asking me time to time whether I like to gain false trust. I say to them that I never gain false trust, I simple use trust to accomplish certain things in magic.

I don’t like to consider magic as distrust, but when you gain trust from your audience, you can direct the attention away from the deception. Trust is it’s own misdirection, something often overlooked.

Mitchell

Wow Mitch that's just real talent. I know what you mean being able to connect with your audience (as Wayne said) is crucial. You've hit the nail on the head and that was very inspirational writing. I also understand where you come from with the Ludlum quote, that's bang on his books are amazing and the way he demostrates what you said is all on it's own. Great post.

-RA69

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wow, you took the words right out of my head. I have been just thinking on the topic of trickery and trust for sometime now and I have to say, I couldn't have said it betetr myself.

Great thread.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results