Trying to get away from cards.

Nov 11, 2009
Hey guys I am performing walkaround magic at Pizzahut every Tuesday for a couple weeks and I have come to realize that impromptu card magic only goes so far

so I have been getting together some tricks like Professors Nightmare Stoplight Cards and Oddball to perform there instead of all card magic

I would like some advice on performing these effects and on how to get away from card magic

All input is much appreciated :)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Scotch and Soda
Spongeballs
Torn and Restored Napkin
Rubber band magic
Ring Thing - Garrett Thomas
Ring and String - Gregory Wilson
Thumb Tip
Gypsy Thread
Packet Tricks like Color Monte, Twisted Sisters, Skinner Monte

Apr 1, 2009
California
I don't believe in the saying that impromptu card magic "only goes so far". Proper mastery, execution, and presentation makes card magic, or any magic for that mater limitless. Although if you're using it as a crutch, that's where you're limited. Using anything as a crutch will limit you. Of course if you're doing walk around, in my own opinion, I wouldn't want to spend hours table to table doing one type of trick all day. It's always fun to be able to pull out something completely different to change the mood. And give the audience something they can remember. Non card or coin magic in my opinion creates a different kind of image.

Now, of course, it's perfectly reasonable to want to broaden your horizons. I would strong suggest picking up Art Of Astonishment if you haven't yet. It not only gives you a different selection of effects, but it will also give you a new insight to magic which will be very beneficial when you're wanting to "get away from cards".

Nov 11, 2009
I don't believe in the saying that impromptu card magic "only goes so far". Proper mastery, execution, and presentation makes card magic, or any magic for that mater limitless. Although if you're using it as a crutch, that's where you're limited. Using anything as a crutch will limit you. Of course if you're doing walk around, in my own opinion, I wouldn't want to spend hours table to table doing one type of trick all day. It's always fun to be able to pull out something completely different to change the mood. And give the audience something they can remember. Non card or coin magic in my opinion creates a different kind of image.

Now, of course, it's perfectly reasonable to want to broaden your horizons. I would strong suggest picking up Art Of Astonishment if you haven't yet. It not only gives you a different selection of effects, but it will also give you a new insight to magic which will be very beneficial when you're wanting to "get away from cards".

Yes I agree with you completley
I was using impromptu card magic as an excuse to not practice with gimmicks and take care of them properly and I have realized that is a very lazy attitude
so now I am trying to get away from performing card magic for a little while just to get used to this other stuff

Plus an eight year old asked me if I had anything except for card magic a couple weeks ago and I could only do a couple small tricks for him, it was pretty humbling :)

I dont have any money or I would love to get Art of Astonishment D:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 13, 2009
Hey Pensyko,

If your wanting to move away from cards I would start out with a good sponge ball routine. Sponge balls are in my opinion one of the best walk about pieces out there. It will also give you a mastery of basic sleight of hand moves and that will give you a foundation to build on. It also gives a nice change of pace.

Anything with borrowed objects is great when doing walk about. Borrowed coins, suger packets, pepperonis, (You never know :) ) Ect. Also tricks with paper money play strong. Extreme burn is one of my favorites. A good TT switch is also a strong tool.

Rubber band magic also plays very strong in this type of setting. I would recomend learning a crazy man's handcuffs routine and maybe a linking rubber band effect.

I hope this was helpful,

Christian

Nov 11, 2009
well its more of a fundraiser I only get tips

I am going on a mission trip to the UK this summer and I need money
I went up to the manager and told him my situatution and he was all for it than I proceded to show him and the others on break some magic :)

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i recommend spongeballs.

and bobos.

you learn that. and other stuff will come much. much. easier. or so i've been told. i have yet to master bobos. i dont think anyone ever has. not even bobo.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results